How do we live?

Retardedrocker

Featured Posts

Didn't know whether to put this here or in the Virtual Pub, but here I am, so here goes.

This all popped into my mind for two reasons. First, the ever higher specification of new boats: you know the sort of thing, granite work tops, jacuzzis, power showers, servants quarters etc and secondly something I read on a post (can't remember by whom) about 'two lights and a pump lifestyle'.

One of the things that attracted me to life aboard was the minimalist thing; only using what you need, no waste, simple and the two approaches don't seem compatable. Can you, or more to the point, should you try to turn a narrowboat into a 5 bed 3 recep. detached house in 2 acres?

Don't think I'm criticising anybody, because I'm not. We all do what we all do, but I'm interested.

Cheers,

T.

• Greenie 1

I agree, but each to their own.

We frequently enjoy an evening stroll, passing by boats where people are tucked up watching tv.

A large part of our enjoyment of boating includes the idea of 'getting back to nature', viewing sunrises and sunsets, watching and feeding the birds, walking and exploring the countryside, and generally getting away from the modern world.

But that doesn't mean we should look down upon those who enjoy a different life style.

Rog

I do wonder if, due to the requirement for 'full power', our old fashioned boat has lost value in todays market.

Edited by dogless

I suppose it all depends on what draws you to boating in the first place. For myself it was the slow way of life, away from the rush that seems to have taken over most people's lifestyles these days, giving more time to think and ponder. The second attraction way the outdoor way of life which always feels healthier and includes the opportunity to observe wildlife in a way that cannot be achieved in many other ways. For me these were the two important elements, the boat itself is a far lesser element. I'm happy to have a comfortable, warm boat. It becomes a similar situation to those who go camping with a two man tent in their rucksack as they walk to their destinations and those who hitch up an 8 berth trailer tent to their car, both types have gone 'camping' but obviously for different reasons and different aspirations.

For us it's a much more outdoorsy sort of lifestyle, yes we have all mod cons in the boat but do spend a lot of time outside, the slower pace of life suits us after a lifetime of chasing our tails and as we are of a particular age we are no longer in acquisition mode and relish in living cheek by jowl with the abundant wildlife hereabouts.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

It is the simple life that we started out enjoying, and cruising for the journey - not to get anywhere in particular and not being constantly being bombarded with bad news via TV radio and newspapers.

The first year we CC we never had the tv or radio on at all but over the years the TV has slipped back into our lives - a good signal for the good lady to watch Strictly is a must now.

More than happy with the basics - and a good read on my kindle (hundreds of books in one small device) but SWMBO would get twitchy if she didn't have immediate and clear reception of all the mindless soaps.

Each to their own!

More than happy with the basics - and a good read on my kindle (hundreds of books in one small device) but SWMBO would get twitchy if she didn't have immediate and clear reception of all the mindless soaps.

Each to their own!

Oh you too, glad I'm not alone!

Phil

Each to their own!

Just the bare necessities eh? Like a Kindle - you really do like the old fashioned ways! :D

Just jossin' - I do get your point. ;)

Yes, I agree with the OP, first boat was lit with a Tilley lamp, second and third with gas lights, present boats with LED's and candles. Still have no need for smart chargers and all the rest, we don't live on board all year, just 3 months in summer but really, all this electrical gimickery is just plain daft. People can spend more on the gadgets than the engine, how silly is that?

I have no issue with tv, but that's what we do at home.

On the boat we spend more time reading, doing crosswords and quizzes, and just chatting. It's the different style of life we associate with the boat, that we enjoy.

Oh, and firelight and candlelight are very much part of the atmosphere.

Rog

I like well designed stuff, wether it be the latest gadget or a door handle. It's got to be simple and obvious to use and well made.

Behind the scenes the gadget may as complex as it needs to be, but using it should be straightforward. (It's one of the reasons I like Apple stuff as mostly they are designed with this in mind)

Yes, I agree with the OP, first boat was lit with a Tilley lamp, second and third with gas lights, present boats with LED's and candles. Still have no need for smart chargers and all the rest, we don't live on board all year, just 3 months in summer but really, all this electrical gimickery is just plain daft. People can spend more on the gadgets than the engine, how silly is that?

Those of us that use "electric gimmickry" don't see it as daft. A smart charger for example really cares for your battery bank, what other gadgets' had you got in mind?

Phil

By default, everyone here has some kind of advanced modern technology available in order to connect to the internet, so not quite back to nature :) I guess some will use internet cafes, but I would imagine that most have an internet connection of sorts.

I'm in the "each to his own" category. I want all the TV, internet, music system stuff, and it's rare for the TV not to be on from about 6pm to gone midnight - but I have no problem with those who want the minimalist unconnected life.

Well for me (us) we like the comforts of life, yes I have a fridge & freezer and a large tv and washing machine and even the luxury of a coffee machine (which has been used about 2 dozen times in 3+ years.

We have a variety of lights ranging from oil lamps, 12v top lights (only used in the kitchen & bathroom, as Dave hates top lights) and 240v lamps. We use the oil lamps when we watch tv, and the 240 lamps when reading, crocheting or other activities that require more powerful light than the oil lights can produce.cool.png

I don't like laundry-mats, never have never will. Hence the washing machine - and I love the smell of the washing when it comes in off the line, dried by nature.detective.gif

The freezer means I only need to find a good butcher every 3 or 4 weeks, and it doesn't limit me to what I can get at the big grocery stores, I can also freeze the blackberries I pick from the tow path along with other bits & pieces

We look at our current life style as one big holiday, we have not had one night away from the boat in 3+ years even though Dave has gone out and done helmsman work for some of the Hotel Boats, I have been on our boat. No need or desire to travel for a "holiday". I just don't get why anyone would want or need to take a break from a stress free life style.cloud9.gif

We live a much healthier lifestyle now, when we were working and in bricks & mortar we would either eat out or have takeaway at least twice a week. We've had about 10 take aways in the past 3+ years and 2 dinners out. I do the majority of all the baking and if I say so myself have become pretty inventive in using up left overs icecream.gif

I know I have mentioned the flora & fauna that surrounds us on the canals, but I consider it part of our new life and thoroughly enjoy it.

Although we've brought a fair few comforts of home with us, I feel we live a much simpler, healthier and happier life than what we were living on land.

To each their own really

• Greenie 3

I like well designed stuff, wether it be the latest gadget or a door handle. It's got to be simple and obvious to use and well made.

Behind the scenes the gadget may as complex as it needs to be, but using it should be straightforward. (It's one of the reasons I like Apple stuff as mostly they are designed with this in mind)

The problem with apple is that it is grossly overpriced and uncompatible with anything that isnt apple which makes me suspicious. sorry to go off topic.

This is an interesting thread.

I'm typing this now on a cat's whisker crystal set whilst my missus rubs two boy scouts together to generate static electricity to power it. I used to have one of them new fangled boats with a bottom in it, but I took that out so we have canal water instead of carpets and we don't have to bother with a fancy pot to widdle in. We stopped lighting candles when it got dark, because the stubs tasted burnt when we ate them for breakfast. I'm not stopping there though: this luxurious horsehair shirt is going just as soon as her indoors has finished crocheting my new recycled bramble one. Can I have my membership card now? ;)

(You tell the boaters of today that - they won't believe you!) :D

• Greenie 2

The problem with apple is that it is grossly overpriced and uncompatible with anything that isnt apple which makes me suspicious. sorry to go off topic.

This is an interesting thread.

It's more that it's designed to be simple and easy to use even tho it's quite a complex device. User interface is what makes Apple products.

Bad design is like having a door handle on the push side of a door, it's not obvious that you should push the door and the handle makes you want to initially pull the door to open.

I'm typing this now on a cat's whisker crystal set whilst my missus rubs two boy scouts together to generate static electricity to power it. I used to have one of them new fangled boats with a bottom in it, but I took that out so we have canal water instead of carpets and we don't have to bother with a fancy pot to widdle in. We stopped lighting candles when it got dark, because the stubs tasted burnt when we ate them for breakfast. I'm not stopping there though: this luxurious horsehair shirt is going just as soon as her indoors has finished crocheting my new recycled bramble one. Can I have my membership card now? wink.png

(You tell the boaters of today that - they won't believe you!) biggrin.png

I used to dream of having a luxurious horsehair shirt.

I'm typing this now on a cat's whisker crystal set whilst my missus rubs two boy scouts together to generate static electricity to power it. I used to have one of them new fangled boats with a bottom in it, but I took that out so we have canal water instead of carpets and we don't have to bother with a fancy pot to widdle in. We stopped lighting candles when it got dark, because the stubs tasted burnt when we ate them for breakfast. I'm not stopping there though: this luxurious horsehair shirt is going just as soon as her indoors has finished crocheting my new recycled bramble one. Can I have my membership card now? wink.png

(You tell the boaters of today that - they won't believe you!) biggrin.png

Are you still allowed to do that??unsure.png

It's more that it's designed to be simple and easy to use even tho it's quite a complex device. User interface is what makes Apple products.

Bad design is like having a door handle on the push side of a door, it's not obvious that you should push the door and the handle makes you want to initially pull the door to open.

Bad design is having a screw driver that will only hang a specific door. I resent a company trying to push me in to their monopoly. Its vulgar.

Bad design is having a screw driver that will only hang a specific door. I resent a company trying to push me in to their monopoly. Its vulgar.

Resent away, but it's not even close to a monopoly, and nobody is forced to buy there stuff.

I've spent the past few years using cheaper Android phones, but found them irritating on a regular basis. I have just shelled out for an iPhone 6S and, whilst there's a bit of a learning curve, it's much less irritating, and mostly intuitive.

A lot of money, but I'm not resenting it :)

I have the same problem with Rolls-Royce, Princess Yachts and Bell Helicopters. I just flat refuse to succumb. ;)

Our plan - well aim/reason to become live a boards was a bit of everything:

to slow down...

make an effort to engage with as many different kinds of people as possible - as is the "natural way" of many boaters...

we stopped worrying about having enough savings to do things safely and came around to the thought we may be dead tomorrow so would be miffed to have missed out.

being on a boat is a bit like "playing dens" when you were a kid - every day can be an adventure.

to get away from unnecessary technology but USE stuff that can be useful.

take the time to read books we'd not normally be drawn to.

ditching a list of chores in favour of chatting with someone you've only just met on the tow path...I might be the only person they speak to this week!

to stop judging folk on appearances, instead on their actions.

becoming part of a community willing to help each other - despite different opinions on cassette or pump out.

.....I'm rambling... YES we like our creature comforts but when everything else fails, the batteries are flat and it's cold and dark outside, we can curl up infront of the fire and stare out of the window at the dark star filled sky and dream.

Well that's the plan anyway!boat.gif

• Greenie 1