Water Cans and Handbowls

pete harrison

Featured Posts

Look fine to me, a Bococks maybe.

To save your roof paint, take a length of polythene tubing (quarter inch i/d will be plenty) and cut a length to fit the circumference of the bottom edge. Slit it along its length, and pop it over the bottom edge (the rim). It'll stop it moving around and save the paint.

Edited by Derek R.
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Look fine to me, a Bococks maybe.

To save your roof paint, take a length of polythene tubing (quarter inch i/d will be plenty) and cut a length to fit the circumference of the bottom edge. Slit it along its length, and pop it over the bottom edge (the rim). It'll stop it moving around and save the paint.

I'll give that a go, it was just put there to take the picture.

1 hour ago, dave moore said:

Painted by Gill Buxbaum. I've not spoken to her for a long time now. Dave

Nice to name the painter, thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

Another Can (2 gallon ?), but I do not know whether the reference to Anne Young is a good point or not:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANALWARE-Bargeware-Large-Buckby-Can-Handpainted-Anne-Young-Roses-Castles-/152554096173?hash=item2384eec62d:g:R3UAAOSwH09ZHuKp

s-l1600.jpg

I have no connection with the seller, and I will not be adding this Can to my collection :captain:

5 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Another Can (2 gallon ?), but I do not know whether the reference to Anne Young is a good point or not:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANALWARE-Bargeware-Large-Buckby-Can-Handpainted-Anne-Young-Roses-Castles-/152554096173?hash=item2384eec62d:g:R3UAAOSwH09ZHuKp

s-l1600.jpg

I have no connection with the seller, and I will not be adding this Can to my collection :captain:

With a diameter in excess of a dustbin lid it's a very rare can indeed.

19 minutes ago, max's son said:

Diameter (at its widest): 88cm (34.6456693 inches)   Height: 29cm (11.4173228 inches)

very strange shape

Fortunately the photographs show it to be a standard Can made by Bococks, very likely of 2 gallon capacity :captain:

• 3 weeks later...

A bit off topic, but this stool has an interesting style. Pity about the legs, and it may well have once been a table flap, but the style is quite distinctive. Anyone know who the artist might have been?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Hand-Painted-Barge-Canal-Wear-Stool-Table/142407861328?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D43781%26meid%3D14802e7d3c0b4b829961234988b2514e%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D332251379635

I had a good look at that too. Lots of right elements about it though I can't name the painter off hand, I'll have another look later. 

The handbowl Pete linked looks like Nurser to me, possibly Percy Foster. It's not always easy just looking at photographs, they don't always reveal the subtleties of brushwork.

Dave

I'm afraid I'm none the wiser as to the painter of the " stool" on eBay, nor as to where it might fit on a working boat, I don't think it was a modesty flap by the shape and size. Perhaps painted for an early pleasure boat conversion? Any thoughts?

Previous posts have mentioned the heavy, high quality cans being made by Rose Narrowboats. I collected one a little while ago and have just finished painting it. They are very much the " Real Deal " .... for those who know and care about such things. I know that much time and trouble has gone into these and I'm glad that this has been taken.

Dave

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

• Greenie 3

On 2017-6-8 at 23:01, pete harrison said:

As a guide this Handbowl went on to sell yesterday for £387.77, but not to me as I did not bid :captain:

3 hours ago, dave moore said:

I'm afraid I'm none the wiser as to the painter of the " stool" on eBay, nor as to where it might fit on a working boat, I don't think it was a modesty flap by the shape and size. Perhaps painted for an early pleasure boat conversion? Any thoughts?

Previous posts have mentioned the heavy, high quality cans being made by Rose Narrowboats. I collected one a little while ago and have just finished painting it. They are very much the " Real Deal " .... for those who know and care about such things. I know that much time and trouble has gone into these and I'm glad that this has been taken.

Dave

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

Looks great. Thank feck someone cares about quality.

Do I need more than three however....... :)

Edited by mark99

Your call Mark.....I've 6 more to do before I can look at anything else...this is my convalescent project after my hip replacement. All going well so far. Can't drive for another month, so I'm workshop bound for the duration. Cheers! Dave

Well I picked it up today and would like to just say a HUGE thank you to Anthony at Rose Narrowboats for the time and accuracy in making these new cans , it certinally stands alongside the best in my opinion for quality / weight and accuracy 

but 

A great can is enhanced by the paintwork and on ours Dave Moore has exceeded in spades all and any expectations .its not often I am stuck for words but when I first saw it I was speechless 

Thank you both for creating a "legacy" can that we will be proud to have on the cabin top of Hare

Chris and Lise 

Glad you like it Chris. Most of the credit must go to one of my team, Wayne Bucknall (you'll have spoken to him in your past life), who has spent more hours than I'm ever going to dare admit patiently making and tweaking patterns and tooling. The assistance and encouragement of everyone at Brinklow Boats deserves a mention too - you couldn't ask for a better quality control department.

Forget Buckby, they're now known round these parts as Bucknall Cans.......

• Greenie 1

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, dave moore said:

Hi

Everything I paint is to commission, I carry no stock as such. Thanks, Ray, for putting photos up and the kind words. Cuthound, if you are interested, then buy a handbowl from Rose and I'll paint it for you at a future time.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Will do once my leg has healed.