Which oil filter?

christophert

Featured Posts

Can someone please help?

I own an 1800 BMC Thornycroft 108 and can’t seem to find any information on which oil filter to use. The filter which presently on is a Fram PH2857A, but told these filters are not much good, and also still need to ensure I fit the correct one with my service which I’ll be doing myself.

I have been told there are two types of filter to use depending on the age of the engine, but not sure how old mine is. There is an engine number – 120538 and a serial number – 10573 108R

I have an Alco SP-816 filter, which was on the boat when I bought it, but not sure if this is suitable or if the filter is a quality one. I’ve heard Crossland is recommended, but again not sure which one.

Why have you been told the Fram filter is "not much good", and who told you this?

I used them fairly freely, but would generally be dictated by what a particular place stocked. (In fact I'm fairly sure I still have one amongst the very small number of BMC spares I still have).

From memory our expert Tony Brooks has indeed said some are better than others, but I recall him saying Crossland were the ones to avoid if possible.

There is a useful post here by Richard T that shows the numbers from various manufacturers.

EDIT:

And in this post our Bizzard actually says that Fram are good....

Edited by alan_fincher

I don't think I said that, we used Crossland on the hire fleet all the time.

This is oil filters we are talking about so in my view any known brand name will do as long a sits not a forgery so I avoid certain well known auction websites. Get a forgery and it may well empty itself each time you stop the engine and if it clogs it may not open a bypass valve or the bypass valve may open too early and send unfiltered oil around the engine unnecessarily.

Fuel filters for the small BMCs are rather different in that I would always want a pocket (spiral wound) filter and many brands including Fram and probably Crossland supply pleated filters. I would stick to a CAV filter or a Mann because I know Mann supply pocket filters. Other makes do as well but its hard to tell until you have one in front of you.

Probably Bizzard, They are/were part of Filtre Auto, now Sogefi group that includes Purolator, Champion, Fram, and Coopers - probably more as well.

Edited by Tony Brooks

I don't think I said that, we used Crossland on the hire fleet all the time.

You are quite correct, Tony.

I'm remembering wrongly - it was indeed fuel filters where my notes say avoid Crossland.

Apologies.

(I think we have yet to hear why OP has been told to avoid Fram.)

Hi all, Regarding the Fram filter, I watched an interesting video where oil filters were compared. Sadly, the mentioned above didn't come off very well. Has anyone heard of the Alco SP-816 filter? and does anyone know if you can tell the difference between an older BMC 1800 and the later one?

used Fram for years on all manner of plant with zero issues. I wouldnt believe all the stuff you see on the net like that - what state was the engine in? how long was the oil and filter in service for etc etc.

If you dont want a Fram use a Mann W719/30 - Golf Gti 1.8T 20v in case you are in Halfrauds

i wont use Crossland now ECP have em, no real reason not to but there is so little cost saving to be had i feel its not worth it.

From Mikexx link.

Sogefi’s sale of the Crosland brand formed part of its long-term strategy to focus investment and innovation on its key UK aftermarket filter brands: Fram, CoopersFiaam, Purflux and the recently launched Sogefi Pro heavy duty filter range. These OE-quality, all-makes brands – all featuring vehicle filters developed, manufactured and supplied by Sogefi – continue to be offered through Sogefi’s existing distribution partners.

Sogefi therefore has, and will have, no further involvement with the Crosland name or product supply, either now or in the future. Sogefi’s focus will be on offering its quality aftermarket brands only through its preferred distribution networks in the UK and Ireland.”

Note Fram are OE quality Aftermarket, debunking the usual internet myths :)

Edited by gazza

Here Using , Fram , Coopers , Crosland , Mann , UFI and champion with normal running intervals never got problems with these oil and fuel filters

Also on bigger engines on gen. cargoships and trawlers we use filters from these manufacturers without any problems.

and does anyone know if you can tell the difference between an older BMC 1800 and the later one?

As no one has answered yet:-

I think, but please check with Calcutt, that the later ones had strengthening ribs cast on the outside of the block.

Here Using , Fram , Coopers , Crosland , Mann , UFI and champion with normal running intervals never got problems with these oil and fuel filters

Also on bigger engines on gen. cargoships and trawlers we use filters from these manufacturers without any problems.

Except many of those fuel filters are not made to the OEM design so should have a reduced service life and block faster with dirty/bug laden fuel.

Baldwin, Fram, Crossland, Mann, Wix, Cooper, Champion are all good filters.and as Tony Brook says avoid very cheap copies/fakes as they tend to have poor filter medium in them and often no anti drain valves if they are required.

You could try this website. https://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=PH2857A

The page it links to is an equivalent of the Fram part number you quoted. They sell mainly Baldwin filters and are as good as any.

As no one has answered yet:-

I think, but please check with Calcutt, that the later ones had strengthening ribs cast on the outside of the block.

I think that you are correct Tony. Certainly Roger Preen sold me just such a block many years ago when I was rebuilding and marinising a 1.8 and said that it was the later type.

Roger