Using metric gas pipe.

Featured Posts

Would it be better to use 1/2 inch to ensure regs are satisfied and accept some pressure loss?

Are you aware that when talking about metric pipes the size refers to the external diameter, whereas when referring to imperial pipe it refers to the internal diameter?

There is only a very marginal difference in the external diameter of 1/2" pipe versos 15mm (to the extent that for water plumbing you can usually get away with jointing the two without use of the special adaptors that can be used give a precise match to the marginally different sizes. (but many people don't bother with).

So apart from any difference in wall thickness the internal bore of the metric and imperial pipes will only be very marginally different as well.

I very much doubt that for any practical purpose for LPG on a boat that using 15mm in lieu of 1/2" will make any measurable difference to pressure drop.

You seem very determined to use metric, when in fact most people would use imperial throughout, and avoid any of the issues that you are worrying about. Use 1/2" and you can stop asking all these questions!

From reading previous posts, is it true that 15mm metric pipe needs to have min 1.0mm wall thickness if used for gas?

I'm having some trouble as my recommended diameter is 15mm.

Would it be better to use 1/2 inch to ensure regs are satisfied and accept some pressure loss?

Cheers

If you really want it, 15mm soft copper tube with 1 mm wall thickness is specified in the part of EN 1057, which replaced BS2871 Table Y for larger diameter soft pipe (Table W being for smaller sizes). Yorkshire Copper Tube sell it under the brand name of Kuterlon.

However, 1/2" OD soft copper tube seems to suffice for most boat installations and is widely available, so it is difficult to see why you might need to go to 15mm tube.

I think that you need to obtain, and accept, expert advice!

Chris G

Soft copper tubing is going to look a bit 'wriggly' if it's going to be visible as it comes in coils! I know you know this but I couldn't resist biggrin.png

You are obliged to sue soft copper tubing, so you have to live with the wriggles.

If you can find one, a Pyrotenax straightening tools (the thing that looks like a bizarre roller skate, is good for straightening copper tube, but you can do a good job by hand, provided that you never unroll it and roll it back up again!

Chris G

I actually had some not so great advice to use 15mm from someone( my fault for not realising)

You are right, using bigger metric pipe would be far simpler. It's all a learning curve

I actually had some not so great advice to use 15mm from someone( my fault for not realising)

You are right, using bigger metric pipe would be far simpler. It's all a learning curve

I did actually get an estimate from a gas fitter which was 400.00 per day.

I though that was a little steep to be honest. Maybe that's the going rate I don't know.

I reckon something like 30.00 per hr is reasonable .

I think it's time to get my tools back out........ I would thin £25 to £30 was reasonable up ere int north. Edited by tonyt40
  • Greenie 1

You are obliged to sue soft copper tubing, so you have to live with the wriggles.

If you can find one, a Pyrotenax straightening tools (the thing that looks like a bizarre roller skate, is good for straightening copper tube, but you can do a good job by hand, provided that you never unroll it and roll it back up again!

Chris G

There aren't many about that still remember Pyro never mind have a straightening tool. Still got mine somewhere.

There aren't many about that still remember Pyro never mind have a straightening tool. Still got mine somewhere.

I had all my pyro tools nicked a long time ago. I was pretty peed off at the time that a tradesman would steal someone else's tools. I would have replaced them but never had the occasion to use pyro again. Then along came this ally sheathed stuff.

I had all my pyro tools nicked a long time ago. I was pretty peed off at the time that a tradesman would steal someone else's tools. I would have replaced them but never had the occasion to use pyro again. Then along came this ally sheathed stuff.

For those that are wondering what we are talking about

post-261-0-40704700-1475700255.jpg

Sorry I meant using bigger Imperial pipe!

• 3 weeks later...