BCN Challenge details released.

Dave_P

Featured Posts

That makes it impossible for Laurie - he would have to do six locks in the challenge.

Unless he moored at the top, started there and cruised the pools...

Richard

Could be too many bonus points if he went in to the Pools. I suggest just starting at the pump house and not going anywhere.

That makes it impossible for Laurie - he would have to do six locks in the challenge.

Unless he moored at the top, started there and cruised the pools...

Richard

I must admit 6 locks does seem a bit daunting, careful planning needed for this challenge

:)

I must admit 6 locks does seem a bit daunting, careful planning needed for this challenge

smile.png

And three at Smethwick - will you need extra crew?

You know you can't stop after 3, then do the next 3 tomorrow?

He might just be able to do that on The Crow. I bet you could tuck Clarrie in under the bridge

Richard

Ha - might enter again next year [last time was 1992!!]

Does anyone here know how the gauge of Dudley Tunnel compares with Froghall. I managed to get through Froghall with about 3 inches to spare and wonder whether Dudley is feasible?

Any info much appreciated.

Ha - might enter again next year [last time was 1992!!]

Does anyone here know how the gauge of Dudley Tunnel compares with Froghall. I managed to get through Froghall with about 3 inches to spare and wonder whether Dudley is feasible?

Any info much appreciated.

The Dudley Canal Trust website gives the dimensions of the gauge you will need to clear to be allowed into the tunnel. Assuming you aren't in a position to go to Dudley and try your boat under the gauge you could use the stated dimensions and take some measurements of your boat to compare. I don't think it's as simple as how Dudley compares to Froghall in the generic size of the bore.

Needless to say it is very small and artificially ballasting down isn't permitted which precludes modern generic narrowboat designs. The majority of the tunnel is apparently much more generous than the gauge but that's inevitable given the gauge can only ever be a worst case composite 2D representation of the whole tunnel length. Unlike Froghall you can't fail it and then chance it.

After the last challenge I stated my intention on the forum to include Dudley Tunnel in my 2017 Challenge itinerary and I have passed my boat under the gauge. I will still have to repeat that exercise the day before transit so I also have a Plan B just in case it fails.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Isnt the pub still open or has that closed its been years sence i actually went there as some friends of my rents use to own the pub. If i end up doing the challenge ill just end up sitting backwards tied to the bank with the engine in gear at the bottom just to get the smell of the oil.

About 10 min walk if possible.

Walk on up the canal and turn off to Langley High Street. About 10 minutes walk.

Isnt the pub still open or has that closed its been years sence i actually went there as some friends of my rents use to own the pub. If i end up doing the challenge ill just end up sitting backwards tied to the bank with the engine in gear at the bottom just to get the smell of the oil.

Which pub?

I think it was already quite well known that Titford Pump House would be the finish point; what is more interesting is what will be the "special" things to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first event. There is an interesting article in the latest Boundary Post about the first event and the IWA "Silver Sword" scheme.

i guess you mean the New Navigation. It's still there.

Yes thats it! As said use to know the old owners as we use to always go upto the pools if we were in brum just to see them

When is it anyways? Trying to fit lots of trips in but with dock work might not make them all