BCN Challenge details released.

Dave_P

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

I presume you were not there, so I don't see how you can say that, they were deliberately blocking I can assure you, I was there.  Even if you consider a bit of blocking to be all in the spirit of things I don't see that being extremely rude to my wife is acceptable anywhere, which is more what I was annoyed about to be honest.

Apologies, no slur on your comments intended. I know one of them can be extremely gruff to say the least which probably didn't help. Beyond that, you're right, I wasn't there. 

15 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Ohh no, not Ravenscrofts work, Bowie played it

Richard

Aha. I thought it was a cryptic Stealers Wheel link.

15 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Can I have a P please...?

Yeah. That's him and contrary to popular belief he didn't play the sax.

Edited by Captain Pegg

44 minutes ago, starman said:

Apologies, no slur on your comments intended. I know one of them can be extremely gruff to say the least which probably didn't help. Beyond that, you're right, I wasn't there. 

Thank you, apology accepted!

10th is pretty good for a first attempt, but we'd've scored more had the draft bonus been in place still. It does really slow you down- e.g. we took 4 and a half hours going down Ryder's Green to the junction and back up again, because of the shallowness. Lockworking was efficient (although I wasn't strapping in by that point, I was too tired to do it safely!)

Our route was:

Cambrian Wharf, down Farmer's and Aston to Salford, up Perry Barr, Up Rushall, around to Pelsall, up the Cannock Extension (with a photo of the foreend touching the end of the colliery basin), around the Curly Wyrley, up Holly Bank, around via Factory to Pudding Green, down Ryder's Green to the junction with the Tame Valley and return, up Spon, strap the boat around the turn, up The Crow.

26 and a bit hours, 2 and a bit hours "rest" whilst I fixed the engine. No sleep until afterwards 

We were originally going to go down the Walsall, but heard dreadful tales of woe as we were approaching, so went the other way around.

Overall the weekend was very good, and I'd like to thank the organizers for running it again, it's a lot of work and we really appreciate it.

However there is one area of the organization which is  not down to Roy and John which is really not good enough.

I'm not sure who is in charge but only having 2 barrels of bear for nearly 50 boats is just not enough. I think the beer ran out at maybe 3.30. I was just on my way back from collecting something from my boat to join in the chat at the pumphouse, only to find everyone else leaving as there was nothing left to drink there.

When we arrived there were loads of people chatting to old friends and meeting new ones, and I'm sure this would have gone on well into the evening which would have made a great end to the event.

However with no beer left everyone drifted off to their own boat, or to friends boats and the party broke up early.

The first time we finished at Hawne basin there was the same problem, but they went out for more beer, and learned so the next time we finished there there was plenty of beer.

When we finished at Bradley workshop the beer ran out before all the boats had finished, and I thought the BCN society would have realized more beer would sell, but apparently the message didn't get through, or wasn't understood.

I think they are worried that they might be left with beer that they can't sell and that would damage their funds, but the calculations are way out and I'm sure some way can be found round the problem.

I don't know where the finish will be next year, but if it's being organised by the BCN, please get more beer in.

(And I don't even drink the stuff, cider for me).

Sue

3 minutes ago, Mrs Tawny Owl said:

Overall the weekend was very good, and I'd like to thank the organizers for running it again, it's a lot of work and we really appreciate it.

However there is one area of the organization which is  not down to Roy and John which is really not good enough.

I'm not sure who is in charge but only having 2 barrels of bear for nearly 50 boats is just not enough. I think the beer ran out at maybe 3.30. I was just on my way back from collecting something from my boat to join in the chat at the pumphouse, only to find everyone else leaving as there was nothing left to drink there.

When we arrived there were loads of people chatting to old friends and meeting new ones, and I'm sure this would have gone on well into the evening which would have made a great end to the event.

However with no beer left everyone drifted off to their own boat, or to friends boats and the party broke up early.

The first time we finished at Hawne basin there was the same problem, but they went out for more beer, and learned so the next time we finished there there was plenty of beer.

When we finished at Bradley workshop the beer ran out before all the boats had finished, and I thought the BCN society would have realized more beer would sell, but apparently the message didn't get through, or wasn't understood.

I think they are worried that they might be left with beer that they can't sell and that would damage their funds, but the calculations are way out and I'm sure some way can be found round the problem.

I don't know where the finish will be next year, but if it's being organised by the BCN, please get more beer in.

(And I don't even drink the stuff, cider for me).

Sue

We need to find a way to stop Laurie getting there before the end......

Edited by matty40s

The BCN Callenge results have been revised!!!

OK nothing too drastic; the score for Atlas & Malus was incorrect, they now have 172.7 points.  I was surprised their score was so low, so that explains it.

37 minutes ago, john6767 said:

OK nothing too drastic; the score for Atlas & Malus was incorrect, they now have 172.7 points.  I was surprised their score was so low, so that explains it.

Tease!

MP.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

I have had my points anomaly explained. If I hadn't lost the sheet and submitted it at the finish we would have scored 201.5 points rather than the 164.5 we were awarded. I submitted hand written scores on a sheet of A4 as there were no spare copies of the official forms available at the finish. Unfortunately I overlooked to include the rest periods on the sheet and although I posted a full set of official score sheets on Wednesday evening they apparently didn't arrive with Roy until after the 1400 Sunday deadline. I did also mail John the rest period times but that has either been overlooked or excluded because it was not on a score sheet.

So Vulpes points total is that which was accumulated by 0800 on Sunday morning which was 20 hours cruising in total. I have requested that spare sheets are available at the finish next year in case anyone loses them.

JP

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but Team Tawny Owl are captured on a previous BCN challenge on google streetview at Stoney Lane bridge Little Bloxwich.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/130+Stoney+Ln,+Walsall+WS3+3DN/@52.62648,-1.9918159,19z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x4870a1df451d37d7:0x9ef0cfda34cedb6a!8m2!3d52.62648!4d-1.9912687

• Greenie 2