BCN Challenge details released.

Dave_P

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, john6767 said:

The current scoring does seems to give a good balance, there as quite a variety of boat types in the top 10.

I agree with this.

I also agree the only plus for some sort of tracking would be to see who's where and allow those not taking part to be involved. I certainly wouldn't want it to be involved in the scoring system.

Boats holding Tawny up in lock flights are considered obstacles to be removed.

This involves helping with gates and paddles, (with the skippers permission), setting ahead, chatting, handing out cake or flapjack, running water down if the boats stuck, lending kebs and long poles to remove obstructions, even backing back up to a lock if the gate won't open / close correctly for the following boat if we are better placed to furtle behind the gate than they are.

2 years ago after trying all that, including a gentle push through a bridge hole on a shallow bit of canal, we went past on the offside (How are you even doing that???!!! from the skipper) and then took pity on the boat and towed it to the next lock.

So yes we try to be very efficient, but I think we are always polite and friendly and only steal locks from friends! (Fruit cake is apparently an acceptable bribe).

And when we've finished we always invite people to share food and beer on Tawny, well we can seat 20 at a push! and usually do a breakfast for whoever's about on Monday morning.

But mainly we have fun.

Sue

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Mrs Tawny Owl said:

I agree with this.

I also agree the only plus for some sort of tracking would be to see who's where and allow those not taking part to be involved. I certainly wouldn't want it to be involved in the scoring system.

Boats holding Tawny up in lock flights are considered obstacles to be removed.

This involves helping with gates and paddles, (with the skippers permission), setting ahead, chatting, handing out cake or flapjack, running water down if the boats stuck, lending kebs and long poles to remove obstructions, even backing back up to a lock if the gate won't open / close correctly for the following boat if we are better placed to furtle behind the gate than they are.

2 years ago after trying all that, including a gentle push through a bridge hole on a shallow bit of canal, we went past on the offside (How are you even doing that???!!! from the skipper) and then took pity on the boat and towed it to the next lock.

So yes we try to be very efficient, but I think we are always polite and friendly and only steal locks from friends! (Fruit cake is apparently an acceptable bribe).

And when we've finished we always invite people to share food and beer on Tawny, well we can seat 20 at a push! and usually do a breakfast for whoever's about on Monday morning.

But mainly we have fun.

Sue

I had forgotten about the push, I can never forget the pull, as that was the sausage stealing incident. 

So yes agreed Tawnys team is dedicated, driven, friendly and always helpful, just never leave your sausages unprotected

;)

On 7 June 2017 at 08:46, john6767 said:

Wow what a close finish!!!!!

There are also 2 more boats on the full list at the bottom, who must not have given there sheets in and not go points.  Makes their behaviour on the challenge more annoying.

My earlier post was partly in jest - I appreciate the Challenge is close fought, a lot of fun etc - but I thought the above remark somewhat out of order. I know both the boats and I know neither would cause deliberate obstruction. They have their own reasons for not putting scores in. As has been said elsewhere, it's not about winning, it's about the taking part. 

6 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Two questions. 

1.Was your detour undertaken in starbug. 

2. Are you the cat (your pic suggests yes) 

Don't hold your breath waiting for a response. The boat name is not a pun on a TV show. It's a place in Anglesey.

16 minutes ago, starman said:

My earlier post was partly in jest - I appreciate the Challenge is close fought, a lot of fun etc - but I thought the above remark somewhat out of order. I know both the boats and I know neither would cause deliberate obstruction. They have their own reasons for not putting scores in. As has been said elsewhere, it's not about winning, it's about the taking part. 

I presume you were not there, so I don't see how you can say that, they were deliberately blocking I can assure you, I was there.  Even if you consider a bit of blocking to be all in the spirit of things I don't see that being extremely rude to my wife is acceptable anywhere, which is more what I was annoyed about to be honest.

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

Don't hold your breath waiting for a response. The boat name is not a pun on a TV show. It's a place in Anglesey.

Although it does have a red dwarf in the window of the cratch

Richard

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Although it does have a red dwarf in the window of the cratch

Richard

Never noticed that. The propaganda obscures the view currently. I assume you mean a doll of small brightly coloured person not an actual star.

JP

10 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Never noticed that. The propaganda obscures the view currently. I assume you mean a doll of small brightly coloured person not an actual star.

JP

Other window

And gnome would be a better description

Richard

49 minutes ago, starman said:

I know both the boats and I know neither would cause deliberate obstruction.

What an odd thing to say. You weren't there, you have no idea what actually happened, and yet you are effectively calling John a liar.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

What an odd thing to say. You weren't there, you have no idea what actually happened, and yet you are effectively calling John a liar.

Liars to the left of me, arseholes to the right. Here I am stuck in the middle with you.

Edited by Captain Pegg

47 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Yes. The people who had the boat built have the pub at Red Wharf Bay on Anglesey.

I suppose it should really be called 'Traeth-coch'

And the cat, yes she's ours. Called Violet.

11 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Liars to the left of me, arseholes to the right. Here I am stuck in the middle with you.

Well, I don't know why I came here tonight
I got the feeling that something ain't right