BCN Challenge details released.

Dave_P

Featured Posts

On 21/05/2017 at 19:21, Ange said:

Thanks John - sounds like it'll be worth a visit. We might even get to the bar before Laurie :D

Should you wish to stroll down the flight we would lurvvve to see you.

Not that we would press a windlass into your hands, of course.

Oh no, not at all, not in the slightest.

But if, on the other hand, you offered, well, who are we to refuse?

:)

6 hours ago, john6767 said:

I emailed Ian Lane on the Brades subject, and did get a reply.  Apparently the IWA and BCNS were consulted and they did not think that it would cause any issue for the Challenge.  I guess those asked have never done the Challenge, and it is such a shame that the 50th anniversary event is spoiled by this poor timing given they closed it this morning and could easily have started it a week later.

WHAT!!!!

Brades is double points and three locks for very little effort.

ESSENTIAL for the Challenge.

15 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Should you wish to stroll down the flight we would lurvvve to see you.

Not that we would press a windlass into your hands, of course.

Oh no, not at all, not in the slightest.

But if, on the other hand, you offered, well, who are we to refuse?

:)

I am sure theres a rule somewhere against 3rd party help, so I suppose to make it fair Ange would have to help everyone ;)

Mind you bribery with a bottle of newky brown would I am sure help

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

I am sure theres a rule somewhere against 3rd party help, so I suppose to make it fair Ange would have to help everyone ;)

Mind you bribery with a bottle of newky brown would I am sure help

3rd party help must be included as full crew members. 

6 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

That's why Team Tawny Owl always help at locks. It automatically adds ten crew members to every boat we help*

Richard

*no it doesn't, that would be silly

42 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

That is true but you only need 4 crew and you don't get any bonus points anyway, so we will have any help going.

2 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

WHAT!!!!

Brades is double points and three locks for very little effort.

ESSENTIAL for the Challenge.

My thoughts as well, disappointing, but no Brades for anyone this year.

16 hours ago, RLWP said:

Team Tawny Owl

Red Wharf

Vulpes

Clarrie

Firefly

Beau

Dotterel

Tatty Lucy

Richard

Cecilia the Worcester & Birmingham and Droitwich Canal Society trip boat is entered as is Kustomcut (Darren?) on his rocket ship Carpe Vinum (is that Latin for 'grab a bottle of wine'????).

I think Caggy is also entered.

JP

The last I heard, there's 48 boats entered.  Assuming an average time to pass through Titford top lock of 6 minutes per boat (empty lock, put boat in, fill lock, exit lock, close gates), that's 10 boats max per hour.  In practice I'd be surprised if more than 8 boats per hour went through (there's always gonna be some unforeseen snags).  That means a total of 6 hours for all 48 boats to get through.  This could cause quite a queue if everyone gets to the bottom of the flight at about 1.00pm.

41 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Cecilia the Worcester & Birmingham and Droitwich Canal Society trip boat is entered as is Kustomcut (Darren?) on his rocket ship Carpe Vinum (is that Latin for 'grab a bottle of wine'????).

I think Caggy is also entered.

JP

Sorry all just back from Spain for a spot of Catfishing.

Yes we are in again Carpe Vinum (seize the wine)

However as a twist this year I am bringing along a fair bit of my home brewed beer, this is welcome for a tester based on the fact we are this year raising money for British Heart Foundation (via just giving), so amble over and have a taster but please if possible donate.

On the Menu so far.

Brewdog Jackhammer Clone in Keg (only half or less left as I have drunk some so that could be empty by the end)

Strong Double IPA Blueberry full keg 7% (ish I need to check)

Punk IPA full keg 6.4%

approx. 10 half litre bottles of Melon & Cucumber IPA 5.6%

Few other odds and sods.

Also RE Pinfold Bridge.

Again I am assuming this WILL be open? or will we find out Sat am :)

I also think they should let us know or open it on Friday.

Finally the Finish.

Agree it will be mayhem at the locks and more than likely a little funny but on a serious note I have to leave about 5 or 6pm so would it do better finishing then coming back down the locks and getting out the way?

Or would the boat be safe at Titford Pools area/pumphouse until the following weekend?

Is there any secure moorings from last year I remember not?

Either way look forward to seeing you all, stay in toch on the day and if passing ill even hand out the odd sample to try ;)

CRT did tell me yesterday that the Pinfold Bridge stoppage is still on schedule to be lifted at 8.00am on Saturday.  I would think they'll leave the navigation open when they knock off on friday though.  

18 hours ago, RLWP said:

Team Tawny Owl

Red Wharf

Vulpes

Clarrie

Firefly

Beau

Dotterel

Richard

Late entry from us, boat name Maxwell.  Very grateful to Ken for squeezing us in, especially as our entry arrived a day late!

Having read through everything several times, I can honestly say we have no idea what we are doing of our route or how we're going to get through this with our crew of 15 year old girls!

I think it's safe to say we present zero competition but are thoroughly looking forward to taking part.

Jaki & Kenny

12 minutes ago, Amber34 said:

Late entry from us, boat name Maxwell.  Very grateful to Ken for squeezing us in, especially as our entry arrived a day late!

Having read through everything several times, I can honestly say we have no idea what we are doing of our route or how we're going to get through this with our crew of 15 year old girls!

I think it's safe to say we present zero competition but are thoroughly looking forward to taking part.

Jaki & Kenny

First time I did it it was me and my 2 girls both aged 17 and 15 so don't worry was great fun however

2 minutes ago, Kustomcut said:

First time I did it it was me and my 2 girls both aged 17 and 15 so don't worry was great fun however

They are rather more keen on lying in their beds, doing their hair and applying make-up than they are working the locks.  Our daughter's pal only came on the boat for the first time last weekend - she wore white jeans :o :rolleyes:  Hoping they will embrace the challenge this weekend though ^_^

Just now, Amber34 said:

They are rather more keen on lying in their beds, doing their hair and applying make-up than they are working the locks.  Our daughter's pal only came on the boat for the first time last weekend - she wore white jeans :o :rolleyes:  Hoping they will embrace the challenge this weekend though ^_^

Yep my youngest wants no part in it all now.

The eldest loves it though.

This year if I can get my act together we will all be in fancy dress too.

See you on the challenge

55 minutes ago, Kustomcut said:

Yep my youngest wants no part in it all now.

The eldest loves it though.

This year if I can get my act together we will all be in fancy dress too.

See you on the challenge

Hoping we'll see you too - the floating bar is going to be one of the highlights of our weekend  :) 

On 22/05/2017 at 14:13, RLWP said:

Team Tawny Owl

Red Wharf

Vulpes

Clarrie

Firefly

Beau

Richard

We'll be keeping the historic end up in Enceladus. Indigo Dream will also be back, competing hard while keeping one eye on the greyhound crew

6 hours ago, Kustomcut said:

I'm sure the youngest didn't look like she was having fun when it was pouring with rain. At least the weather looks good for this year.