Reverse gear problem

Nemie

Featured Posts

Hello I have a norman 23 and it has a Enfield Z drive, I am sometimes having a problem where the reverse lever gets very stiff and hard to put in gear, then followed by a clump and engine cuts off.

I don't go from forward to reverse in one movement I allow time for the prop to stop, so it's always forward - pause - reverse.

The clump sound is very off putting followed by dead in the water.

I have only had the boat since may this year, and I need to add sometimes it goes in reverse without any problem.

Can anyone advise?

The Engine is a thornycroft 108

Edited by Nemie

Probably not many of us on here have much experience with Enfield drives. I did take one apart once and found it to be a reasonably simple thing, it went back together again so it must have been. Can only suggest asking around in boatyards or if you are brave get the spanners out, the fact that it works sometimes makes it sound like some sort of internal alignment /bearing thing or maybe worn clutch mechanism where something is being pushed beyond where it is supposed to go.

My immidiate thought was that the ahead clutch was staying engaged when reverse is selected but looking on the explodes view on the Chertsey Meads marina site I would say that is simply impossible unless something is very badly worn like the ahead bevel gear bearing has broken up so the gear is floating about.

I suggest that you have al ook here http://www.boatsthames.com/index.shtml and have a chat to them about it.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Hello I have a norman 23 and it has a Enfield Z drive, I am sometimes having a problem where the reverse lever gets very stiff and hard to put in gear, then followed by a clump and engine cuts off.

I don't go from forward to reverse in one movement I allow time for the prop to stop, so it's always forward - pause - reverse.

The clump sound is very off putting followed by dead in the water.

I have only had the boat since may this year, and I need to add sometimes it goes in reverse without any problem.

Can anyone advise?

The Engine is a thornycroft 108

Not sure if this helps but found it on another site.

"What you will probably find to be the problem is marine growth on your trim pin (the bit the reverse hook hooks over) this will hold the reverse hook up and not let the lock pin slide underneath thus not letting you select reverse have a look at my website www.shipshape.uk.net"

http://www.voy.com/56304/2/996.html

Edited by Pete & Helen

Great answer, almost entirely likely to be totally wrong!

Are you back in Cov, Pete?

Richard

icecream.gif Thats why I gave him the link as well Richard so he could take it or leave it.

Just back in Cov for a few days as we are going up to Preston for a wedding, then back out till the end of the month. We will be in Cov then till April.

For those who may be following this thread but are not very technical I think the deciding symptom is the clunk PLUS the engine stalling. This tends to indicate two gears being selected.

The reverse lock pin allows the selection of reverse gear to pull a hock over the pin so the drive does not kick up under prop thrust in reverse. That normally results in a lot of revs and frothy water. However the link seems to suggest on the Enfield it simply prevent reverse gear engagement so if it were that the engine should not stall.

Edited by Tony Brooks

• 4 years later...

Hi All,

Recently bought a Seamaster 23 with an Enfield Z drive. Having similar issue as above.

I can change from neutral to reverse but is very stiff, when I try to engage forward it is even more stiff and the engine stalls.

I have replaced the control cable as I was advised that this could be the issue. When replacing the cable I tried to change gears by hand with the lever on the outdrive but it was very stiff.

Could low oil level cause this? I am nervous about opening the level check screw as the boat is in the water.

Any ideas or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I just need to get the boat shifting gears so that I can move it to a place where I can lift out and do a proper service.

Thanks in advance.