Basic Boat insurance

Rick-n-Jo

Featured Posts

Just a heads up for anyone who has or is thinking about the low cost third party only policy from Basic Boat. I have just had it confirmed that the policy does not cover towing or being towed by another boat.

A fairly common practice on the canals of course, especially for butty owners. Means we have effectively been uninsured for many years, and obviously wont be renewing!

Suggestions for an alternative policy? Live aboard + butty workshop/shed

Perhaps you need to differentiate between basic public liability insurance cover and fully comp. For fully comp, I have seen policies that do cover accidental damage when the towed boat is part of a pair owned by one person. Hope this helps.

To clarify, I meant it can be possible to include damage caused by one of a pair of boats to the other under a fully comp policy, when the pair is owned and insured by one person. Normally when simply towing another boat this would not be covered.

Like most companies, they are probably using standard marine policy wording without giving much thought to inland waterways. So I've asked if they can clarify what they define as towing. Does it include breasting up for instance, or what about bow hauling from the towing path? Awaiting a response.....

Basic boat liability.

They specifically say "any one boat owned by you" or similar wording. So you could own 10 boats and all would be insured on the same policy provided that you don't use any of them together.

I've used basic boat and if I remember right they don't ask whether the boat has an engine so I don't think they would be aware of the butty/motor combination

Edited by magnetman

I have heard that Basic Boat Liability quite happily accept money for a butty, even if it has been declared as having no engine. How do they think it ever moves?

they dont think. They take your money. --And don't pay out on a claim.-Easy!

they dont think. They take your money. --And don't pay out on a claim.-Easy!

Sounds ideal for people who never have reason to make a claim :)

Not sure exactly when insurance became mandatory as a condition for obtaining a "license" (why couldn't they add 3rd party cover to the license fee :rolleyes: ) but it wasn't that long ago. Possibly 1990s I think. Maybe it was in the 95 act?

Edited by magnetman