Winterising a national

Jrtm

Featured Posts

I have to start thinking about my winter draining and filling of the engine.

Its raw water so no anti freeze can be added.

Where is the best place to drain everything? By this i mean the block and water pump.

didnt know if waterpump drained itself if the mud box is disconnected for draining and if the waterpump is self priming once water is back in the mud box?

Where is the best place / places on the block to drain it.

And where or what is the best way to fill it up again.

This will need to be done atleast once a week so dont really wanna have to keep taking a blank out or bolt in and out didnt know if there is a drain tap on the block or if you can add one have lots of brass small engine taps.

Again witg filling would preferred not to have to keep taking the water pipe on and off to fill it.

I have to start thinking about my winter draining and filling of the engine.

Its raw water so no anti freeze can be added.

Where is the best place to drain everything? By this i mean the block and water pump.

didnt know if waterpump drained itself if the mud box is disconnected for draining and if the waterpump is self priming once water is back in the mud box?

Where is the best place / places on the block to drain it.

And where or what is the best way to fill it up again.

This will need to be done atleast once a week so dont really wanna have to keep taking a blank out or bolt in and out didnt know if there is a drain tap on the block or if you can add one have lots of brass small engine taps.

Again witg filling would preferred not to have to keep taking the water pipe on and off to fill it.

There should be a drain cock, or a plug, in the tapped hole in the side of the water pump body, . . . opening that drains everything.

No need to fill it up with water next time it's run, . . . just turn the water back on at the mudbox cock and start her up.

I am not familiar with Nationals but am curious, why do you need to empty and fill it every week? Are you only on the boat at weekends? Could you put a paraffin greenhouse heater under the block?

Im on the boat most days but only run the engine once a week if the solar panel hasnt put enough charge in or if i need to power my drill or something. If not it only gets used when i move every 2 weeks but even if i used it every day i would still drain it. It was more of a im not draining it and then not using it im draining and filling constantly.

No cant use heater. I wouldnt even dream of leaving anything on when not there.

On Fulbourne's National we have a drain cock on the water pump which drains the block. Will try to find a better picture but it is on the right hand pun on the oictire in this gallery:

http://www.fulbourne.org.uk/Details/index.html

Tim

Got you i see it yes i know where that is ill give it a shot.

There should be a drain cock, or a plug, in the tapped hole in the side of the water pump body, . . . opening that drains everything.

No need to fill it up with water next time it's run, . . . just turn the water back on at the mudbox cock and start her up.

Perfect nice and easy they! I could get use to this national engine far better than the hour before going boating i the winter i use to do

What about your fresh water tank? Do you take any precautions in case that freezes; I don't.

I think they get put onto the sidebed when he's not there, thawed out by the range then put back on the cabintop next to the range chimney with the mop and shafts when he goes boating ;)

I think they get put onto the sidebed when he's not there, thawed out by the range then put back on the cabintop next to the range chimney with the mop and shafts when he goes boating ;)

Its almost like you watch me go boating!!!

Although i have no side bed as such its now a work bench!

The main water tanks are empty as we have 3 water systems on towy.

A water tank currently empty

6 5l bottles of water must admit these are empty

And 2 cans a 2gal and 1 gal and no these arent empty there half full!!!

Although at shows it will only have the one can on next year with a propper home made mop. Hence my other post about clayton cans colours. Fingers crossed she will be compleatly diffrent next year with all the bow the correct colours, cans and a fully finished back cabin at least on the outside she will be back to looking like the 50s except the clothes.

Edited by billybobbooth

• 2 months later...

Why? I can understand it if you expect freezing conditions, but to drain it every day anyway seems a very odd thing to do!

Ive had 2 occations this winter that i drained it to then be on the boat the next day to have the temp drop well below 0oc to the point ice was on the water and my water pipes were frozen. I check the weather but there will be the one day i dont and it will be cold. Ive had 1-2cm of ice on the aylesbury arm between 1 1/2- 4 weeks go i know it was this as i had to brake ice around the boat and i had to get a sledge hammer on a rope to brake it. I was also still that thick when i moved just over a week ago.

Yes temp has gone up but i always drain when not using the engine threw the winter just in case.

A 10 second tap to open is better to me than then needing to pos weld or replace a block.

Also if i leave the boat for a few days i may not have the chance to get there if it is going to freeze. So even when on the boat i just drain it. I only have to start the engine to refill it and i pump the boat out every week - 2 weeks.

+ i think its more of something ive been use to doing with bolinders of just draining them after use in winter. I def would have been court out this winter on one of the days if i haddent have drained it as it got so cold

Edited by billybobbooth