Forum folk, I need your help (again)

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Some of you with long memories may recall that a bit over 4 years ago, I asked the forum for their help in completing a Masters degree I was studying for. It was my second ever post on this forum, I think.The forum members obliged dutifully and I showed my gratitude by hanging around as a forum regular. (Beware what you wish for!)

Ever the glutton for punishment, I'm now finish another Masters and I have another dissertation to write. This time it's on the hot topic of towpath usage. In particular, I'm looking at the outcomes following the large amounts of resurfacing which has been done on various parts of the network. I've heard many anecdotal accounts of cyclists crashing into each other and pedestrians; dog walkers with long leads causing trip hazards; anglers covering the towpath with their equipment etc.

I'm trying to find out the extend to which these events have happened since unimproved towpaths have had new surfaces installed and whether the potential benefits of giving cyclists a 'safer' place to ride than the road is offset by the increased risk faced by other towpath users.

So I've made a short questionnaire as one part of my data gathering, to try and find out the experiences of towpath users. It's very short and takes next to no time to complete.

Here's the link:

http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/towpathsurvey/

I await the dissection with baited breath...tongue.png

Just filled in your survey I do however have a couple of points to raise.

Question 3 I'm a continual cruiser so could live in any area but can only choose one

Question 5 I live aboard so use the tow path every day, best option you give is almost every day

Question 6 all three options apply as I move around, you only allow one choice

Question 3 I'm a continual cruiser so could live in any area but can only choose one

Question 5 I live aboard so use the tow path every day, best option you give is almost every day

Done ^^^ applies to me as well

3. Yes. My apologies. It's tricky to account for every possibility. The questionnaire isn't just for boaters.

5. Don't you ever go on holiday? Visit friends,family etc?

6. Give the answer which best fits your situation. Again, I appreciate that this isn't always easy.

Thanks to all for doing this so far.

Re Q3 - what about Scotland?

Sorry Scotland but for various political and legal reasons, you're outside the scope of this study. Ditto France, Netherlands and everywhere else.

You're all marvellous. I shall be looking for responses from walkers, joggers, cyclists and anglers too.

Sorry Scotland but for various political and legal reasons, you're outside the scope of this study. Ditto France, Netherlands and everywhere else.

You're all marvellous. I shall be looking for responses from walkers, joggers, cyclists and anglers too.

Dave - the question in, ahem, question, states "in which part of the country do you live". Do you really not want (English) canal boat owners who live in Scotland to contribute?

Great for cyclists. Send the bill for all the improvements - to us boater - and add a Cyclists Charter to the CRT T&C's for boaters to observe to make sure we do not cause inconvenience to cyclists.

Dave - the question in, ahem, question, states "in which part of the country do you live". Do you really not want (English) canal boat owners who live in Scotland to contribute?

Fair question. I can't stop anyone from filling in the questionnaire. However, this study is primarily looking at people's regular experiences. If someone lives most of their time in Scotland and occasionally comes to England and Wales to use the towpath in some way, their experience has less validity than someone who comes into regular daily contact with the towpath. Having said that, it is a fair question so I will amend that part of the survey to take account of those who live outside England and Wales.

I await the dissection with baited breath...tongue.png

Done.

As other have said, I use the towpath repeatedly every day. No option for me to select!

"13. I am more likely to use the towpath where a hard surface has been installed."

I have to use the towpath whatever the surface. You question is drafted as though it is optional!

18. I am concerned that cyclists now have priority on towpaths

Impossible to answer given cyclists don't have priority on towpaths, not around here anyway. CRT are putting up signs to cyclists around here reminding them that pedestrians have priority on the towpath.

There was an earlier 'test' version which had the option of 'I use the towpath every day'. Pedantic people pointed out that everyone has days when they're ill and don't go out, or are visiting elsewhere, or are moored on rivers with no towpath. So I changed it.

The best advice I can give is to choose the best fit option which reflects your opinion/ experience.