Etiquette - boats turning round at locks

Neil2

Featured Posts

As we approached Hawkesbury junction from the north recently there was a hire boat just coming out of the stop lock. He announced that he was turning to head back down the north oxford so we kept out of the way and moved onto the landing as soon as he was back in the lock.

There was another boat waiting to come down, and as they went into the lock they announced that they too were turning round to re-enter the empty lock. My wife politely advised them that in fact we would be taking the lock whilst they turned their boat round and that they should join the back of the queue so to speak. From the exchange I gather they thought they had some claim to the empty lock in this situation, plainly ridiculous given that it's a 1' stop lock, and in fact by the time they had got their boat turned, we were through the lock and away.

But I did think after what if it had been a full size lock? There are a fair few locks where boats can wind immediately after, but we've never been in a situation where an exiting boat thought they had some right to the empty lock whist they complete a turning manoeuvre. It doesn't make sense to me but I wondered if there is some old established etiquette maybe from the days of working boats?

Personally I would have taken the lock as you did. They have no claim on the lock and should join the queue. The only time I give priority to another boat is if they are coming in the opposite direction and the lock is in their favour. In that case if I arrived at the lock first I would let them have it rather than waste water.

I don't think there's any firm rules, but a good guideline might be 'ready and waiting to use lock goes first'. But then there's also a good guideline to generally be accommodating to other boaters, polite, not stamp one's feet 'I know my rights' etc - which you obviously adhered to with the first turning boat.

We encounter that situation when we take Sculptor, 71' 6" of former working boat, down the first four locks at Stoke Bruerne to wind her (by the A508 bridge) as that's the first place we can assuming we choose not to reverse up to the winding hole and then reverse back again.

Always when I am on Sculptor (and I believe it always applies to the other volunteers) if there is a boat (or perhaps two) coming up the flight in Lock 18 we will always explain what we are doing (and why) and invite them to use the lock we have just vacated as we are usually well provided with people to help.

To my mind it is just good manners and proper etiquette not to assume that the lock is yours just because you have recently vacated it.

• Greenie 1

Yes of course you should have let them use your lock, after all they wanted it and you'd already set the precedent.

Likewise: -

If someone enters a busy pub you should allow them to take your pint.

Whenever I leave a supermarket I always show my shopping to those about to enter in case they wanted any of it.

I always feel a day is wasted at a filling station if nobody asks to syphon my tank while I'm away paying.

At my wedding when it was my turn to say I do I naturally turned to the congregation and asked if anyone wanted to go first.

Don't forget the meek shall inhibit The Earth.

• Greenie 1

Yes of course you should have let them use your lock, after all they wanted it and you'd already set the precedent.

Likewise: -

If someone enters a busy pub you should allow them to take your pint.

Whenever I leave a supermarket I always show my shopping to those about to enter in case they wanted any of it.

I always feel a day is wasted at a filling station if nobody asks to syphon my tank while I'm away paying.

At my wedding when it was my turn to say I do I naturally turned to the congregation and asked if anyone wanted to go first.

Don't forget the meek shall inhibit The Earth.

clapping.gif

What was the quotation? "Blessed are the meek, for they shall be shat on from all sides"?

Personally I would have taken the lock as you did. They have no claim on the lock and should join the queue. The only time I give priority to another boat is if they are coming in the opposite direction and the lock is in their favour. In that case if I arrived at the lock first I would let them have it rather than waste water.

I agree that would be my approach too.

I think the OP did the correct thing.

On a bit of a deadline, we rattled on down the Audlem flight recently only to have our momentum halted by a couple popping out in front of us at the Shroppie Fly on another boat. Astonishingly slow locking techniques on the bottom three (no crime I suppose) were compounded when the folks on board announced they were turning at the bottom and coming back up! Given the proximity of the winding hole, we agreed with raised eyebrows, and I look forward to inheriting the earth .....

As I have to go down or up three locks to wind I would expect any boat to give me priority on the return journey as I would have set all the locks in my favour and the gates would be open.

;)

As I have to go down or up three locks to wind I would expect any boat to give me priority on the return journey as I would have set all the locks in my favour and the gates would be open.

wink.png

You might expect it, but it doesnt work that way. If I was waiting to go up and just as you exited the bottom lock you told me i couldnt enter the lock I'd been patiently waiting for...

• Greenie 1

You might expect it, but it doesnt work that way. If I was waiting to go up and just as you exited the bottom lock you told me i couldnt enter the lock I'd been patiently waiting for...

I think he was being tongue in cheek. At least I hope so.

JP

clapping.gif

What was the quotation? "Blessed are the meek, for they shall be shat on from all sides"?

I think you'll find it was "blessed are the cheese makers". Of course, it wasn't meant to be taken literally but probably applied equally to any producers of dairy products.

When already in the middle of winding to get back into Wardle lock at Middlewich another boat arrived. I had to complete the wind peculiarly with some waving of arms to prevent him thinking that it was in order for him to pass me and enter himself. Horn signals would have been ambiguous in this particular case.

We go down Hatton top lock, wind and then go up the same. As we often share the lock going down, we always have to apologise that we won't be helping the other boat down the rest of the flight...

Richard

We go down Hatton top lock, wind and then go up the same. As we often share the lock going down, we always have to apologise that we won't be helping the other boat down the rest of the flight...

Richard

As some folk don't like sharing, maybe they're relieved?

p.s. Was that you going past my boat a couple of days ago?