Boat Design Advice

BrumSaint

Featured Posts

Having owned a boat for a few years and coming up to retirement, we are thinking of replacing the boat. We would like a boat that has the galley at the stern, followed by a dinette then the bathroom (off corridor), followed by the main bedroom (double bed) and then the saloon leading to the bow. Similar to this plan NarrowboatPlan.pdf

I've looked at dozens of boats for sale and have yet to see one with this sort of layout, I've also looked on line at hundreds (literally) of boat plans and still have not seen this type of arrangement anywhere. We are now looking at getting a boat built with this layout,but before I approach any builders is there any design reason why such a layout would not work, or is there a technical reason which makes such a layout difficult (& therefore expensive) to build.

Have a look at Inkling (Aqua Narrowboats). Almost what you're saying. They had the bedroom then a walkthrough bathroom (not off corridor) then the saloon because it meant if there were family/guests in the sofabed in the saloon at the bow, both they and the owners could use the bathroom. It's a great boat.

No reason for the layout not to work if that's how you'd like it. I would suggest that it will work best with a cruiser or semi trad stern boat & there are loads of examples of the galley at the stern & bedroom at the bow out there as you would have already seen

If that's the layout you want, no boat builder worth his salt is going to try & talk you out of it & if they do, go elsewhere. The only issue you might have is fitting it all into the length of boat you want, but if boat length is not an issue, then you'll be OK.

If that's what you want, and it will work for you, then there's no reason not to have it. Most boats have the 'public' areas (saloon, dinette, galley) together because it makes the boat feel more spacious and less compartmentalised, but OwnerShips used to have some share boats with a similar layout.

I think as mentioned above, the bathroom probably makes more sense between the saloon and cabin, for ease of guest use. Also, I'm not sure if the details of your plan are meant to be taken literally, but I can't really see the point of having a U-shaped galley in that layout. What's the space just inside the boat for, and will there be enough room for steps down from the stern deck? And that's probably not a very wise place for a hob.

Good builders will accommodate all reasonable requests -- but they'll also tell you when something you want really won't work.

No technical reason you can't have that layout of room order. We have a central bathroom between main bedroom and back cabin, work well. Our bedroom also adjoins the saloon. You just need to be happy d for guests to walk through your bedroom to the saloon in the day.

It's a perfectly feasible layout for a cruiser or semi-trad ideally.

Not sure I see the logic in separating the saloon off though. I rather feel it may be under used and the dinette will become the usual sitting area.

Positioning the galley, dinette and saloon together has a more natural flow. Cook - eat - slump in armchair with coffee.

But it's your boat, you choose what you want!

With a full height bulkhead between the lounge and the bedroom the heat from the stove will have problems moving down the boat. I had a full height bulkhead on my boat between the lounge and adjacent kitchen. The kitchen was always chilly. I think that is one reason to have lounge, kitchen and diner in one space with free air space between them at ceiling height.

Of course, with central heating this may not be a concern.

Having owned a boat for a few years and coming up to retirement, we are thinking of replacing the boat. We would like a boat that has the galley at the stern, followed by a dinette then the bathroom (off corridor), followed by the main bedroom (double bed) and then the saloon leading to the bow. Similar to this plan NarrowboatPlan.pdf

I've looked at dozens of boats for sale and have yet to see one with this sort of layout, I've also looked on line at hundreds (literally) of boat plans and still have not seen this type of arrangement anywhere. We are now looking at getting a boat built with this layout,but before I approach any builders is there any design reason why such a layout would not work, or is there a technical reason which makes such a layout difficult (& therefore expensive) to build.

Long way to walk to make a cup of tea. What's the reason for not liking the more traditional saloon, dining, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom layout?

Thanks to everyone who has responded. The main point has been answered - there is nothing obvious I've overlooked, that makes the design unworkable.

In response to some of the more detailed points

1) the dinette will convert to a guest bed, hence reason for bathroom between dinette & bedroom.

2) the plan is not to be taken literally (it just showed the order of the various components),

3) the various comments made (position of hob, stove, shape of galley, wiring & plumbing etc) are all useful to bear in mind when speaking to a builder - thank you for those.

4) Finally, less than 50' there and back for a cup of tea, not that long a walk.

As I commented before, it's a perfectly workable plan. But a lot of people devise schemes to accommodate things like guest beds then find, in practice, these are infrequently used and have compromised the boats regular use by the owners.

So just a question - why could the guests not walk past the saloon to reach the bathroom if you had the galley/dinette/saloon/bathroom/bedroom layout which might be easier for you as regular users of the space?

Edited by starman

Living in the centre of a long tube wouldn't feel right as it would feel more corridor, that's why most saloons are at the end. Most also like the kitchen to be nearby so when your on kitchen duties your still in the main living area.