Eating places on the Leeds and Liverpool or Lancaster canals

up_north

Featured Posts

Hi

Hope I'm OK to post this here; the obvious place is Virtual Pub but I can't post there.

I don't have a boat but enjoy the canals very much as walkers.

We live in Leyland, Lancashire so have good access to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal and Lancaster Canal. Each week we try and fit a walk in along a towpath, typically three miles, stop at a nice dog-friendly canalside cafe for breakfast (between 10.00 and 11.00) before returning. But we're running out of places that we know of where we can do that. We've been to the cafes at Scarisbrick, Burscough, Parbold, Botany Bay and Wheelton. We're doing Foulridge next week.

So I'd welcome any suggestions of places where we could continue doing this. So in nutshell:

• park car
  • walk 3-4 miles
  • have breakfast at a dog-friendly cafe (on a Sunday)
  • walk back to car

Thank you.

Ian

Canal view cafe at Rishton, right on the towpath.

Nice walk round the loop from Rishton to Churchkirk, then back up the cycle path.

Or a longer walk towards Whitebirk, off the towpath at Cut Lane, past the sailing club and back to Rishton.

That was a great suggestion. We did Church to Rishton this morning, rather than driving to Foulridge. We used the towpath in both directions and stopped at the Canal View café. Great little place with excellent, superb value food - bacon and egg butty with a cup of coffee was only £3.10; dog friendly too.

Definitely the most scenic walk we've done so far with the bonus of us passing the canal half way point.

Thanks again.

Ian

Glad to be of service. It really is a good place to stop, and is right on the visitor moorings at Bridge 108A on the Leeds and Liverpool.

We are going there next week, but on the boat.

I am a Leyland lad myself, and Mike who owns the café is a friend of ours so I am glad you liked it.

Not sure of opening hours but The Anchor at Salterforth. The Kingfisher at Reedley Marina - doesn't open till 11.00 Tues to Sun - think you can have the dog on the veranda overlooking Pendle Hill. We like Cargo Cafe from boat or car. Inn on the Wharf in Burnley, again sit on the canal side.

Park in Gargrave, walk along canal to East Marton, return along Pennine Way.

Thank you - that certainly looks a good walk but blimey, a bit meandering

Glad to be of service. It really is a good place to stop, and is right on the visitor moorings at Bridge 108A on the Leeds and Liverpool.

We are going there next week, but on the boat.

I am a Leyland lad myself, and Mike who owns the café is a friend of ours so I am glad you liked it.

We might also be there next week, this time starting from Whitebirk - probably not as scenic. Custard Creams were a nice touch! Difficult to know service times for brekkie as they don't appear to have a website or official Facebook page.

There are cafes at both the marinas in Rufford so a walk from Sollom or from the Ship by the junction with the main line at Lathom to Rufford would work well.

I should have also mentioned Rufford - been to Boathouse Brasserie a few times - really good and with the most amazing home made cakes.