Buckby lock 8 (yet again)

adam1uk

Featured Posts

This will be an official stoppage by the morning, I'm sure.

One of the top gates at lock 8 of the Buckby flight has been taken out of its cup. It currently can't be closed.

We're moored at the top of the flight, and one of two boats which came up a little while ago told us about it. The other boat's bow fender was in the water, with its chains broken...

I went and had a look, and the gate is definitely currently out of action. Apparently CRT have been told.

This will be an official stoppage by the morning, I'm sure.

One of the top gates at lock 8 of the Buckby flight has been taken out of its cup. It currently can't be closed.

We're moored at the top of the flight, and one of two boats which came up a little while ago told us about it. The other boat's bow fender was in the water, with its chains broken...

I went and had a look, and the gate is definitely currently out of action. Apparently CRT have been told.

It doesn't seem the extra hardware that BW/CRT have tried to introduce into the gaps between gate top and balance beam is particularly effective at preventing what it is intended to prevent, does it? Or is that lock lacking it?

I don't remember for sure whether that lock has the infill pieces or not (although I suspect it has). But if people would pay attention to what's happening while they're in locks, gates wouldn't get lifted, would they? I'm not aware of any gates just springing out without a bit of help.

• Greenie 4

I don't remember for sure whether that lock has the infill pieces or not (although I suspect it has). But if people would pay attention to what's happening while they're in locks, gates wouldn't get lifted, would they? I'm not aware of any gates just springing out without a bit of help.

If everybody had the recommended "weak link" in what attaches their front fender, I suspect it would also happen a whole heap less often, even if they were not paying attention at all. You need something pretty strong to lift maybe a ton(ne) of gate, so the trick is to have something weaker.

If everybody had the recommended "weak link" in what attaches their front fender, I suspect it would also happen a whole heap less often, even if they were not paying attention at all. You need something pretty strong to lift maybe a ton(ne) of gate, so the trick is to have something weaker.

Or perhaps a CO detector is all that's required!

Although it's only going to lift when the lock's fairly full, so the gate's own buoyancy will lessen the required load.

I wouldn't trust most of the fender chains I've seen with anything like a ton (even without a weak link) .

I've seen a couple of "near things", and in both cases it was the actual bow of the boat that caught under the lock beam. One boat did break a fender chain, but that was when he reversed (hard!) and the bow came free of the gate and the ascending fender struck the balance beam.

I know it makes sense, and it is 'recommended' on this forum, but is it OFFICIALLY recommended by C&RT, or in any documentation ?

I don't recall seeing anything.

How would the 30,000 'non forum members' know about the recommendation ?

Is this a full stoppage again then??

Will change days plans if so.

They haven't posted a stoppage notice yet, but the flight is chained shut. Some CRT guys have gone to get some equipment, and are hoping they might be able to jack up the gate and pop the pin back in the cup. The queue to go down is building, though.

The perfect solution!

A CO detector is the answer to everything smile.png

Will it stop the idiotic postings that spoil this forum ??

I'd fit a CO detector to the front of my boat if I thought it would help those on this forum who believe canals and boating is so serious that any light heartedness must be stamped out so quickly.

Even to the point of editing somebody else's post instead of placing their grumpy reply in the right box.

• Greenie 2

We got away about 11.15 from the top. Lots of boats in both directions.

It doesn't seem the extra hardware that BW/CRT have tried to introduce into the gaps between gate top and balance beam is particularly effective at preventing what it is intended to prevent, does it? Or is that lock lacking it?

There is a bit of wood attached to this particular gate, but it's not as big as on some of the others. In fact, there's a gap underneath it, and it's set back from the balance beam, so doesn't really fill the gap at all. Edited by adam1uk

Here's the photo which failed to attach earlier.

I am highly dubious that a lot of these are actually capable of preventing what it is they are intended to prevent.

The fact that this has happened at all would seem to support those doubts.

Edited by alan_fincher

I am highly dubious that a lot of these are actually capable of preventing what it is they are intended to prevent.

The fact that this has happened at all would seem to support those doubts.

Yes when you compare that one with what's fitted at some of the other locks, there's quite a big difference. At some, the extra piece of wood fills the whole gap, and is flush with the balance beam -- so it would be difficult to get a fender caught. At this one, as you can see, there's still a big gap underneat, and it's set back from the balance beam. Plenty of catch on, in other words.

Yes when you compare that one with what's fitted at some of the other locks, there's quite a big difference. At some, the extra piece of wood fills the whole gap, and is flush with the balance beam -- so it would be difficult to get a fender caught. At this one, as you can see, there's still a big gap underneat, and it's set back from the balance beam. Plenty of catch on, in other words.

Yes, a "tick in the HSE box" in this case, I think, rather than a genuine HSE enhancement. Some others, as you say, look more likely to generally achieve what was intended.

These all started to be fitted across the network about 4 years ago. There was no uniformity in design, , no consultations and no success in stopping what was a regular occurrence , in fact, it seems to have increased the problems.

Certain locks have listed status and have to have listed planning application

before the bloody things are installed .

I am sure if you complain enough, the last vestiges of fun could be removed from this place too.

Exactly

I'd fit a CO detector to the front of my boat if I thought it would help those on this forum who believe canals and boating is so serious that any light heartedness must be stamped out so quickly.

Even to the point of editing somebody else's post instead of placing their grumpy reply in the right box.

So true - both worth a greenie frusty.gif