ropes

epic

Featured Posts

My ropes on my narrow boat have started to become stiff making it harder to tie up, has anyone got any suggestions on making the ropes more supple or is it time to replace them

thanks

What are they made of ?

Polyprop

Nylon

Hemp

????

Try putting them in a washing machine on a 'warm wash', if they are Nylon it will soften them, if other material it should wash out some of the dust and 'crap'.

We tend to stick ours in the washing machine once a year, usually at the beginning of the year just before the boat goes back in the water. Keeps them nice and soft and clean.

Probably won't bother washing them this winter though as we have bought new ones.

I recommend you remove the boat before you do this.closedeyes.gif

If you forget, immediately put your narrowboat into a narrow lock with a boarding plank down each side. Otherwise it will swell with fluffiness and you'll never get it to fit a lock again

Richard

When we leave the boat in its home marina both bow and stern ropes are just the right length with an eye on each end to moor the boat. eye on boat T stud, through ring on walkway and back to T stud, same on the stern dolly. These ropes are made from old mooring ropes.

I am interested in the logic. Aren't you more likely to get vandalism and damage out cruising rather than in the marina?

On occasions where that is a concern then I would use my old ropes for overnight mooring too.

I suppose my main point is that you want good ropes - that work, don't snap, don't burn your hands, and can be used to control the boat eg when in a lock - when the boat is moving and in use. Outside those times, they are just getting degraded by the weather and other factors, for no good reason.

On occasions where that is a concern then I would use my old ropes for overnight mooring too.

I suppose my main point is that you want good ropes - that work, don't snap, don't burn your hands, and can be used to control the boat eg when in a lock - when the boat is moving and in use. Outside those times, they are just getting degraded by the weather and other factors, for no good reason.

Thank you I was wondering about the logic. That makes perfect sense.

The lines on my boat are 25 years old and still in perfectly good condition. I'm not sure how peeps get to have a 'good' set and and 'old' set.

Our last set were about 5 years old. The braiding had started to chaff and fray in a couple of places and they were looking well worn.

When we are moored on the coast the boat is always moving so relying on the ropes to keep it secure. We don't fancy taking any risks with a fraying rope when it gets a bit bumpy in harbour so buy new ones.

We don't have old sets and new sets we just have one set that does all jobs. The two 10m ropes on the port side wear quicker then the two 15m ropes we have on the starboard side as we pretty much always moor on the port side. The longer ropes really only get used on the coast or if we moor somewhere where it is advisable to moor with all four ropes.

There's money in old rope I am lead to believe.

You just made me go and Google the origin of that phrase... apparently it's from caulking wooden boats - the old rope (oakum) was perfect for hammering into the gaps...

When we leave the boat in its home marina both bow and stern ropes are just the right length with an eye on each end to moor the boat. eye on boat T stud, through ring on walkway and back to T stud, same on the stern dolly. These ropes are made from old mooring ropes.

Have you never had a problem with the water level changing and ropes becoming over tight with no means of adjustment?

Ian.

Have you never had a problem with the water level changing and ropes becoming over tight with no means of adjustment?

Ian.

No, it would have to drop by about about 2 foot and then we would probably be on the bottom and I am not there to adjust them anyway so even if they were tied it would be the same. It was different when I moored on the Middle Level as that did worry me wit the level rising as I had to use the centre line.