Featured Posts

Hi Boaters!

I am four months in to the lovely world of boating and I have been grappling with my engine not starting for a few months. After eliminating the battery, I realised the reason it wasnt turning over was because the solenoid wasnt connecting to the starter motor. I can now start it if I lift the whole floor up and spark it with a spanner.

I am now trying to find out what part I need to get so that I can turn my engine on with the key, and nothing I type into the interweb seems to be right.

My engine is BMC 1.8L

The starter motor is LUCAS 198, b790 12V ER (that's everything written on it)

The solenoid I cant see anything written on it.

Do I need a new 'connector' between starter and soenoid?

Do I need a new solenoid althogether? Is there a standard model?

Any advice or nudges in the right direction would be great, kind of determined to see this one to the end myself!

Best,

Iona Moaner and the Empire Queen

Hi Boaters!

I am four months in to the lovely world of boating and I have been grappling with my engine not starting for a few months. After eliminating the battery, I realised the reason it wasnt turning over was because the solenoid wasnt connecting to the starter motor. I can now start it if I lift the whole floor up and spark it with a spanner.

I am now trying to find out what part I need to get so that I can turn my engine on with the key, and nothing I type into the interweb seems to be right.

My engine is BMC 1.8L

The starter motor is LUCAS 198, b790 12V ER (that's everything written on it)

The solenoid I cant see anything written on it.

Do I need a new 'connector' between starter and soenoid?

Do I need a new solenoid althogether? Is there a standard model?

Any advice or nudges in the right direction would be great, kind of determined to see this one to the end myself!

Best,

Iona Moaner and the Empire Queen

If your sparking it with a spanner and starting the engine by touching both small terminal and the large pos+ terminal to start it, i'd say there is a fault on that small terminal, either the connector and or the thin wire that goes from it to the starter button-switch, or a fault with the starter button or key switch. If you have a voltmeter you could check for power at the solenoid end of that thin wire at the little terminal whilst someone tries to start the engine at the starter button or switch. If you you have no voltmeter pull the thin wire off its terminal on the solenoid and connect a 12v bulb between the wires connector and bulb and the other pole on the bulb to starter body or engine mass neg- and get someone again to press the starter button or key start/ The bulb should light up when this is done. If it a voltmeter gives no reading or the bulb doesn't light up their is a fault somewhere from that small wire terminal on the solenoid along the wire to and including the starter button-key start. There maybe an added relay in this wire somewhere which could also be faulty. You could clip a wire directly from the pos+ terminal on the battery and touch the small terminal on the solenoid to make it work which will be the same as what your doing with a spanner. WARNING!! Be careful not to go and touch the wire from the battery to any other metal on the engine or any other metal nearby, only the small terminal, Or it will dead short, flash and pop, blow fuse. Same applies with the small wire off the solenoid terminal if someone presses the button or turns the start key.

It sounds like your starter and solenoid are ok.

Edited by bizzard