Sabb engine oil pressure gauge query

Featured Posts

IMG_20160923_092208_zpsdnrhktcp.jpg

I have acquired this oil pressure sender unit plus the guage. The sender has two connections but neither is marked. The units are both VDO types. The guage has three connections. One is positive, one is negative and a central one which I presume is wired to the sender. The sender has two connections. Which is the one to use? Currently there is a piece of wire connected to the left hand terminal.

My Sabb had a splash system with no oil pump and a oil pot on the top. With no pump or oil pipes the oil couldn't really go anywhere so monitoring the pressure wasn't an issue. Mine was a single, of course, think it was a model G.

Casp'

Edited by casper ghost

look at floating ground on this vdo diagram

attachicon.gif0 515 012 123 -- Electric Gauges.pdf

Which suggests that if it's a two-terminal sender then one terminal should be grounded. My guess would be that's why there's a wire connected to one terminal - that one was grounded and the other one went to the gauge..

It seems to suggest that it might not matter which terminal on the sender unit is used for positive or negative as there are no markings on the terminals or on the body. Many thanks for the wiring diagram Gazza. I'll just give it a go.

No problem :cheers: