Anyone able to measure the holes in a prop for me to compare..

Featured Posts

Found a propeller that may suit my needs, but the owner doesn't know what shaft and taper it is for. I wondered if someone had a propeller handy that they know fits a 1.5" shaft with a standard 1:12 taper. If they could measure the hole diameters either end and the length of the hole/boss, then I could check those measurements against this propeller..

Thanks.

Casp'

It will be a Morse taper.

Plenty of charts available on t'net for sizes dia etc.

Just looked on net, and managed to find a chart. I don't normally have any luck finding stuff.. Anyway, according to this chart the propeller in question is no good, so I still need a prop..

Casp'

You might have one of those awkward problems that drive you nuts. I have a propeller in the shed that I am pretty certain is a standard taper, you are welcome to borrow it to check against your shaft, not sure if I can measure it accurately enough. its for a 1.5 inch shaft, 17 x something I think.

Just looked on net, and managed to find a chart. I don't normally have any luck finding stuff.. Anyway, according to this chart the propeller in question is no good, so I still need a prop..

Casp'

The diameters each end will change depending on the length of the propeller boss.

Or are they all the same length?

The diameters each end will change depending on the length of the propeller boss.

Or are they all the same length?

The chart I found on the net quotes the shaft diameter and then gives all the corresponding measurements, indicating that they are all the same, but I bet there are odd ones out there. The one I was interested in will not fit, and I don't fancy getting it on a lathe to correct it.. I'm wondering whether I could get away with putting a 19" prop on my boat, but I seem to remember thinking 18" was the maximum..

Found a propeller that may suit my needs, but the owner doesn't know what shaft and taper it is for. I wondered if someone had a propeller handy that they know fits a 1.5" shaft with a standard 1:12 taper. If they could measure the hole diameters either end and the length of the hole/boss, then I could check those measurements against this propeller..

Thanks.

Casp'

Right, I've just measured my 20"x18"RH blade that came off my 1993 narrow boat a few years ago. The hole measures 37.87mm at the fat end, and 30.40mm at the thin end. (Fat end measured about 2mm in to avoid any end wear on the taper.)

The boss is 89.90mm long so that makes the taper 1:12.

Hope that helps.

Right, I've just measured my 20"x18"RH blade that came off my 1993 narrow boat a few years ago. The hole measures 37.87mm at the fat end, and 30.40mm at the thin end. (Fat end measured about 2mm in to avoid any end wear on the taper.)

The boss is 89.90mm long so that makes the taper 1:12.

Hope that helps.

Taper 1:12??? Is that in metric or good Christian sizes Mike?