Dripless shaft seal - LEAKING

boater123

Featured Posts

Hi,

I bought a collingwood sailaway in February and have been cruising in it every two weeks since then. I discovered yesterday that the dripless shaft seal is leaking. It isnt just dripping but a significant trickle of water is coming in. I though the jubilee clips might need tightening so I tried this but it made it worse.

Has anyone replaced one of these before? And if so can it be done in the water, I have seen videos where people in yachts do it in teh water with the aid of a greased rag. I was thinking of a greased rag around the outside and then another on the inside as I swap teh seals over?

I'm after some guidance please, I really dont want to take the boat out of the water if i can help it and ideally would do the work myself. Also, any brands of shaft seal that you would recommend, ideally someone I can have a chat with on the phone about the installation!

Any help would be appreciated, I realise that Collingwood should probably correct this but I havent the time nor inclination to chase them about it I just want it fixed!

I have attached a picture of the leaking seal.

Many thanks,

Will

post-25156-0-52858700-1474466883_thumb.jpeg

Have you ever put any grease in it. From this post http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=87296&hl=radiceit looks like a Radice seal. That black cap at the end should come off so you can out a bit of grease in. On my Volvo deal it is 10 ml every 250 hours. I use a syringe that I got free at Boots.

Hi,

I bought a collingwood sailaway in February and have been cruising in it every two weeks since then. I discovered yesterday that the dripless shaft seal is leaking. It isnt just dripping but a significant trickle of water is coming in. I though the jubilee clips might need tightening so I tried this but it made it worse.

Has anyone replaced one of these before? And if so can it be done in the water, I have seen videos where people in yachts do it in teh water with the aid of a greased rag. I was thinking of a greased rag around the outside and then another on the inside as I swap teh seals over?

I'm after some guidance please, I really dont want to take the boat out of the water if i can help it and ideally would do the work myself. Also, any brands of shaft seal that you would recommend, ideally someone I can have a chat with on the phone about the installation!

Any help would be appreciated, I realise that Collingwood should probably correct this but I havent the time nor inclination to chase them about it I just want it fixed!

I have attached a picture of the leaking seal.

Many thanks,

Will

Looks like my Radice seal. No water through mine after 12 months and many hours cruising. I suggest you grease it with SILICONE grease. Must NEVER have petrolium based grease in it! Available from chandlers as "Volvo" grease. Also plumbers merchants sell it in little white tubs. Member Cheshire Marine is the expert on these.http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showuser=24620

Yes a greased rag or similar on the outside keeps some water back, but to be honest I didn't get much anyway when changing afloat, bilge pump easily coped.

There have been some of these leaking due to poor fitting, my Vetus one leaked from new because of poor installation. Very happy with the Radice seal

Fitted mine afloat, full story here. Engine alignment is important with these, and vital to debur end of propshaft, and use the insertion tool (a bit of plastic.)

http://destinynarrowboat.weebly.com/vetus.html

ps just a thought, you haven't broken an engine mount, or one come loose per chance? One of our "dripless" seals leaked when an engine mount came loose (engine way out of alignment.).

Edited by Guest