Sky TV... Freeview... is there a solution for me please?

Zayna

Featured Posts

I use smartphone plugged into the TV, reasons are is that I have unlimited internet on the phone but also the Apps on the phone are much more upto date and the decent ones have variable bandwidth depending on your connection. Some of the apps also allow downloading which the TV doesn't so if you have wifi access it can be useful.

We both have large data limits so that isn't a problem for us. Liams is unlimited mine is 21GB.

We both have large data limits so that isn't a problem for us. Liams is unlimited mine is 21GB.

I have 25Gb on the iPad, I find I eat through it if I stream videos via it (I have to be selective!). My hint on using the phone as the device rather than the TV or a dongle plugged into the TV is that you can get unlimited internet on phone deals, but I don't know of any for tethering or via a wifi dongle.

I have 25Gb on the iPad, I find I eat through it if I stream videos via it (I have to be selective!). My hint on using the phone as the device rather than the TV or a dongle plugged into the TV is that you can get unlimited internet on phone deals, but I don't know of any for tethering or via a wifi dongle.

Liams limit for tethering is 30GB.

Given that we don't watch much TV it is proving to be more then adequate.

We don't watch much TV at home now. Can't imagine that changing.

We prefer listening to a few tunes while tinkering with stuff.

Well it's a boat so they be plenty of that to do ! :D I tend to have the TV on more for background so I tend to rack up the bytes.

We had Sky+ but found when out cruising it was so difficult to get TV due to the low angle needed for the dish. When we did get a signal we recorded stuff so that we had something in reserve to watch another time when we couldn't get a signal, then found that a signal is needed in order to watch previously recorded programmes.

So we ditched Sky and went for a Freeview recorder (Humax) with a high gain tv aerial. It meant not being able to receive a couple of the channels we could previously with Sky, but the beauty is that if we cannot get a signal we always have something saved that we can watch if we wish to.

We can pause live programmes, rewind, fast forward etc, and being a higher spec one we can record 3 programmes whilst watching another one. Not that we need that much because there's mostly rubbish on TV but s*ds law says that of the few, the good ones are often being broadcast at the same time.

We're not tv addicts by any means, but like the option of being able to have something to watch whenever we choose.

• Greenie 1

Thank you all so much for this information, it's very useful.

The Humax sounds about right, like the idea of recording 3 programmes because as you say Grassman, good programmes are like buses. You wait ages for one and three come along at once. laugh.png

I don't watch an awful lot of TV but you can get good 4G/LTE deals nowadays. I have a 64GB data only plan with EE for £28 a month which would be suitable for a few hours streaming per day. (not HD) For me this means no messing around with satellite dishes!

Streaming is arguably the future of TV so it may be worth considering but do check the coverage in your area if you decide to go down that route.

Hi,

How can I get the EE 64Gb deal for £28 a month ?.

Tried searching but cant find it.

Thank you all so much for this information, it's very useful.

The Humax sounds about right, like the idea of recording 3 programmes because as you say Grassman, good programmes are like buses. You wait ages for one and three come along at once. laugh.png

If you want to watch at the same time recording multi programmes make sure you get the higher spec Humax (ours is called a Freeview Play). You pay for it obviously but I think it's worth it. You can actually record 4 programmes not 3 as I said) while watching a 5th.

It has lots of other features such as 'on demand' catch up tv etc. Had ours a year and generally very pleased with it.

After soaking up data streaming we went for an EyeTV dongle through a mac. (PC available)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgato-Diversity-Dual-Tuner-Freeview-Windows/dp/B001DNLNT0

Absolutely delighted, two tiny antenna so no more aerial positioning and excellent reception in most places bar Banbury!

Pause/record/fall asleep in front of.

I use a Samsung smart TV with on old external hard drive plugged into one of its USB ports. Works well, but can only record the channel you are on. I get round this by watching a recording when I want it to record something and watch TV at the same time.

I picked up a goodmans freeview box, its terrible, records a program then continues to record the channel, for hours...

I've had loads of problems too but I think partly its due to the programme information that the broadcasters are supposed to send out along with the programmes themselves. Its worse if you use Series Link to record more than one episode. If its on Channel 5, then it will record the episodes on Ch5+1, Ch5+24, etc etc too as well as all the repeats.

I've had loads of problems too but I think partly its due to the programme information that the broadcasters are supposed to send out along with the programmes themselves. Its worse if you use Series Link to record more than one episode. If its on Channel 5, then it will record the episodes on Ch5+1, Ch5+24, etc etc too as well as all the repeats.

Yes, I have this problem with my smart tv and external hard drive, so it must be the information provided by the broadcasters.

We used to think that too. When we had a Logik PVR it used to do it, but now with our Humax it doesn't happen. The Logik also used to sometimes carry on recording after a programme finished like somebody else has mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

After soaking up data streaming we went for an EyeTV dongle through a mac. (PC available)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgato-Diversity-Dual-Tuner-Freeview-Windows/dp/B001DNLNT0

Absolutely delighted, two tiny antenna so no more aerial positioning and excellent reception in most places bar Banbury!

Pause/record/fall asleep in front of.

Do you have to put the aerials outside, the leads don't look very long.

• 2 weeks later...