What do you wish you'd been told before living aboard?

nyima77

Featured Posts

We (2 people and 2 dogs) are about to take the plunge (not literally, I hope). Just curious to know, what do you experienced boat dwellers wish you'd known before you moved on. If the advice is 'don't do it' it's a bit late for that... We're not complete newbies (owned a boat for 4 years but weekends and holidays only - it was only 32')

It's cold in winter.

Empty the bog and keep the water tank full before the supply taps freeze!

We got frozen in just below Fradley Junction new year before last so I know! Mind you a 52' boat may be slower to heat than a 32' one.

And yes, we did take the flue cap off the stove...

Absolutely yes. Nyima, read, absorb and learn - oh, and have spare underwear handy.

It is the most Greenified post ever, which is how I accidentally re-stumbled over it the other day when I was so desperate to procrastinate that I read right down to the bottom of the page.

Your learning curve will be HUGE!!!! Enjoy it, it's fun.

Oh, and EVERYONE will have a different opinion on the best way to do something. Listen to all your options and pick the one that seems the least hassle. laugh.png

Found it thank you - I'll have to work on the beard! Does a hairy mole count?

I hesitate to ask, but why spare underwear?

sense of humour?

but for the most part it's true and funny at the same time, when you become a fully fledged boater you will understand.

Spiders! Honestly I am afraid of them and if anyone told me about how many and what sizes they come in is still be renting a council flat.

Never be afraid to knock on someone's boat and ask for help. People have been so kind

Clean out the boat first before moving in. It will help with the 'Ick' factor and make moving in less stressful

Found it thank you - I'll have to work on the beard! Does a hairy mole count?

I hesitate to ask, but why spare underwear?

Er, in case you wet yourself laughing at Starry's enduringly hilarious post.

Sorry to be basic, but you did ask.

Yep.agree spiders . I remember unpacking a banana box full of stuff when we moved on board. You guessed it , huge , black with loads of hairy legs it eventually showed up 2 weeks later. It had swimming lessons. ... Bunny

The amount of dust and dirt a solid fuel stove makes is incredible.

I'd need to measure the oven for baking trays.

Damp is far more of an issue to manage in winter than cold.

Every item of clothing I own would end up with a hole in.

I should've spent the first bit of cash I got my hands on on a decent solar array.

You can run a fridge quite easily if you have the above.