Bridgewater Gestapo Tactics

Glynn

Featured Posts

13 long pages of reading this topic when I should be sleeping soundly in my bed.

I met Mr SS as I came out of the lock after arriving in Castlefield Basin this year. The lock gate wasnt even shut before taking his picture, telling me the new rules and giving me his business card. Tried to tell him I was aware of all the changes but still went on till he had finished his speech.

When stopping for water on the Bridgewater I was told that he had been in the water and on the end of someones fist on more than one occasion. The other thing I was told was that he allegedly doesnt give receipts for any monies taken and advised me that if I was in the situation that I was asked for any monies from Sony then ask for an invoice to be sent. apparently nothing ever arrives. Wonder why.

The other thing I was told was that he allegedly doesnt give receipts for any monies taken and advised me that if I was in the situation that I was asked for any monies from Sony then ask for an invoice to be sent.

So the person who told you that Sonny doesn't give a receipt, suggested that you ask (him?) for an invoice to be sent?

That doesn't sound like great advice, frankly.

If someone arrives unannounced, shows you a business card and demands money, the only sensible advice is; don't give him any.

For even if Sonny, though unscrupulous, is actually employed by Peel and entitled to ask for payment, who is to say that the person handing out the business card, is in fact, Sonny?

The rule only applies when the sound is "ee", It seems like your English tutors only gave you half a rule. Bring back the grammar schools!

Some of us weren't clever enough to get to grammar school and got chucked on the waste heap at an early age. Even when Grammar Schools existed only a small proportion of the population had the benefit of being educated there.

The only positive bit I can add is if I had have got to Grammar School I wouldn't have learnt to sail or have the love of the waterways I have today, I probably wouldn't have retired at 52 and had a Narrowboat.

Some of us weren't clever enough to get to grammar school and got chucked on the waste heap at an early age. Even when Grammar Schools existed only a small proportion of the population had the benefit of being educated there.

The only positive bit I can add is if I had have got to Grammar School I wouldn't have learnt to sail or have the love of the waterways I have today, I probably wouldn't have retired at 52 and had a Narrowboat.

As someone who went to grammar school I can say from experience that maybe you were the lucky one .... at grammar school you were expected to do loads of meaningless academic study that failed to prepare you for the real world ... who the hell cares how you conjugate a verb in Latin or why Caesar wanted to invade Gaul? .... when have I ever used calculus in a real world problem? What is so important in everyday life about how atoms form molecules? What was the benefit of knowing the sequence of events that led to the unification of Germany under Bismark? Or Italy under Garibaldi?

The true purpose of grammar schools was to extract a certain type of child from the main education system and keep them so busy learning such rubbish that they don't have time to realize that they actually failed the exam... 'cos if they were left to mix with the rest of school population they would have been a disruptive influence by asking the teaching staff questions they couldn't answer and generally challenging authority.

It's the rest of the kids like you that learnt the important things in life and it's taken me too many years to recognize that. cheers.gif

• Greenie 1

As someone who went to grammar school I can say from experience that maybe you were the lucky one .... at grammar school you were expected to do loads of meaningless academic study that failed to prepare you for the real world ... .........

The grammar school I attended had its own Sailing club (with Mirror dinghys, GPs and a couple of Fireballs) and we were at Holme Pierpont Sailing Lakes most weekends, we also had a Bridge Club, a 'Caving' club and a 'Walking' club - I was lucky enough to walk the Pennine way, Offas Dyke, The Lyke Wake walk and the Cornwall Coastal Footpath. We also had wonderful field trips to the Scilly Isles, Channel Islands etc. It wasn't all "loads of meaningless academic study"

I was fortunate to have been successful during my working life and was able buy a Golf Course & retire at 45.

• Greenie 1

So the person who told you that Sonny doesn't give a receipt, suggested that you ask (him?) for an invoice to be sent?

If someone arrives unannounced, shows you a business card and demands money, the only sensible advice is; don't give him any.

For even if Sonny, though unscrupulous, is actually employed by Peel and entitled to ask for payment, who is to say that the person handing out the business card, is in fact, Sonny?

Ok

1. "him" is Sonny

2. Why not great advice?

3. This is based on Sonny being the person asking for money

And just to add, If I was asked for any payments by any official then I would only give an email address for the invoice to be sent. Even for the police on the spot fines you don't pay them, you effectivly get an invoice

I was fortunate to have been successful during my working life and was able buy a Golf Course & retire at 45.

Funny, I always said I would do that if I won the lottery, not a lot of chance as I haven't bought a ticket since about 1980. I don't play golf but just fancied a golf course.

Funny, I always said I would do that if I won the lottery, not a lot of chance as I haven't bought a ticket since about 1980. I don't play golf but just fancied a golf course.

I don't play golf either (stupid game - "a good walk spoilt"), but it gave us a good 'life' thru the problems of the recent 'economic crisis'.

Closed the course and sold off some of the land 3 years ago. Now got a 30 acre 'garden', 20 horses and a 'Mobile Home' park.

The best of both worlds, Horses don't take much looking after in the Summer, One of the Caravan 'residents' looks after them when we are not there.

Leaves plenty of time for boating.

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...

Sadly for me this proved to be true.

:(

Which bit?

only if they decide to accept it as they can choose not to (most ex-clampers and people like Peel just refuse).

Absolutely spot on AND to cover your bases even further you could send two copies, from different post offices on the same day as the chances of BOTH failing are nigh on impossible (can you tell I used to read moneysavingexpert forum a lot)

I'm a pepipoo man myself.

On a different note. The new agreement of no return in 28 days. Is this person or boat? Otherwise most hire boats around there would be stuffed.

I read somewhere that the hire fleets had some kind of Bridgewater licence in addition to the CRT one.

I was told quite recently by the operator of a hire fleet near the Bridgewater that they have been unsuccessful in finding out how the new "no return within 28 days without paying a fee" will affect their hire boats.

haggis

Wonder where Peel Holdings get the water from for the Bridgewater canal? Plenty of cart water flows into it, maybe they should for it.

The Bridgewater have the right to a large flow from the Rochdale canal, the bottom lock of the Rochdale was originally a Bridgewater lock (Dukes Lock). They also have the right to access Rochdale Canal Co reservoirs to get their allowed water. Over the years there have been many court case taken by the Bridgewater to access their water rights.

They also have the rights to the water from the River Medlock although they go to great lengths not to use this as its is still polluted.

I am not sure what the connection at Liegh allows as there has never been a stop here that I know off. At the T&M end there is a small Stop lock, but no feed. The actual junction is about 10m into Preston Brook Tunnel from the Northern end. There are several small streams which feed into the canal, and there are drawing rights (Not used) on the Lymm lodges and brook. Not sure where the feed for Runcorn locks came from.

• 6 months later...
On 10/6/2016 at 11:22, NilesMI said:

I had only arrived in Castlefield (from Dukes lock) a few minutes when Sonny took a photo of my licence, gave me his card and said his piece about Bridgewater rules. I was still in shock from my first trip down the Rochdale nine so heard him out in some bemusement but to be honest he was perfectly polite if a little too 'focused' for my taste.

Perhaps he has been told to moderate his behaviour.

Frank.

7 hours ago, frahkn said:

I had only arrived in Castlefield (from Dukes lock) a few minutes when Sonny took a photo of my licence, gave me his card and said his piece about Bridgewater rules. I was still in shock from my first trip down the Rochdale nine so heard him out in some bemusement but to be honest he was perfectly polite if a little too 'focused' for my taste.

Perhaps he has been told to moderate his behaviour.

Frank.

I understand that there was a case where Sonny called the police for assistance, and the police took a different view of the situation to Sonny, which may have chastened him, and that the issue of an irregular attitude to collecting cash has also been of interest to Peel Holdings.

Apparently his ability to remain employed despite his activities is nothing to do with nepotism!!

7 minutes ago, mayalld said:

the issue of an irregular attitude to collecting cash has also been of interest to Peel Holdings.

A post in the Diplomatic Service is surely yours for the asking. Rarely have I seen a more elegant way of saying "'e's trouserin' the dosh, innee?"

46 minutes ago, Athy said:

A post in the Diplomatic Service is surely yours for the asking. Rarely have I seen a more elegant way of saying "'e's trouserin' the dosh, innee?"

You may think that. I couldn't possibly comment

On 26/05/2017 at 08:46, Athy said:

Ah yes this reminds me of how to interpret what a diplomat says. 

When a diplomat says 'yes', he means maybe. When he says 'maybe' he means no, and if he says 'no ' it means he is not a diplomat in the first place :)

• 1 year later...
On 18/09/2016 at 19:11, Glynn said:

We entered onto the Bridgewater canal on Wednesday 14th this week in the afternoon, moored up at Worsley. Set off Thursday morning arriving at Sale at noon, stopped to buy some food shopping.

All was well until a man on a powered type scooter stopped by the boat and peered in, he then disappeared only to return moments later with a friend (we now know as Sonny Smith).

This man proceeded to dictate to us the rules of the Bridgewater. We informed him that we are only on this canal until Sunday, we also told him what our plans were i.e. we are going to Lymm and then onto Midland Chandlers turning around as we are a 10ft euro cruiser and can not get through the tunnel so going back onto the L&L. He took a picture of our license and went.

We moored at Lymm that night.

The next morning we were sat inside our boat when someone bent down next to our boat and was looking through our window, next thing he placed a camera against the window and took a picture through the window. My wife jumped up and rushed to the door, at this point the man was by the boat behind us. She shouted stop doing that, stop taking pictures through our window. The man turned around and walked back to our boat. As he came closer he said “you should know I am, you saw me yesterday” Very odd thing to say. If he knew he saw us yesterday why take another picture of us. I will hint as to why, its because he wants you to get upset. My wife asked him not to take pictures through our window and she asked 6 times to see his ID, on the 6th time he only handed her a business card (which anyone can have printed these days) I still haven’t seen any I.D from this man.

Because my wife asked repeatedly to see his I.D, he said we had “24 hours to get off the Bridgewater and he was placing a 12 month ban on us”, she then asked to be given paperwork to that affect, he walked away only turning around to say to her “you need to get a life you”

So we have been given 24 hours to get off the Bridgewater canal just because my wife wanted to see some I.D from someone dressed in jeans and a shirt - NOT A UNIFORM, she wanted to see proof of ID because he was taking pictures through our window. We were inside the boat he did not knock or shout of hello to get our attention.

At no point did she swear at him or do anything which was threatening towards him, we have emailed the head office to complain about his intimidating behaviour and are waiting for their response as we have informed them I will be contacting the police as we feel that due to the fact that the day before we gave him all the information he needed there was no need for him to take another picture of our license. In my opinion he made a fuss at our window to draw our attention to the fact he was taking yet another picture just to upset us. If he wanted to record our index number it is painted on both sides at the back of the boat so he could have photographed that, NOT placing and pointing a camera at the window, anyone would panic at that, all sorts of things go through your mind at what they are up to. This practice of his is only aimed at provoking you.

This incident left my wife so upset and uncomfortable that she got a taxi back to our home that night. It took a lot to convince her to rejoin me at the border.

Whats your opinion on this, can we actually be excluded from the Bridgewater because my wife wanted to see I.D to prove he did work for Peel holdings and not some thief or peeping tom ?.

I've had the pleasure of meeting this cretin 3 times, the last time ending with me being arrested for " threatening to smash his face in" which I never did , but now wish I had.

He is rude, a bully and a liar and is only comfortable approaching you if he has more men with him. He should be sacked immediately for the way he conducts himself. 

52 minutes ago, bowman167 said:

I've had the pleasure of meeting this cretin 3 times, the last time ending with me being arrested for " threatening to smash his face in" which I never did , but now wish I had.

He is rude, a bully and a liar and is only comfortable approaching you if he has more men with him. He should be sacked immediately for the way he conducts himself. 

I met him in May and he was a perfect gentleman, polite, showed his id. asked if I knew the rules, gave me his card and said to contact him if I had any problems. This was outside Throne Marine. I can only speak as I find.