Bridgewater Gestapo Tactics

Glynn

Featured Posts

We entered onto the Bridgewater canal on Wednesday 14th this week in the afternoon, moored up at Worsley. Set off Thursday morning arriving at Sale at noon, stopped to buy some food shopping.

All was well until a man on a powered type scooter stopped by the boat and peered in, he then disappeared only to return moments later with a friend (we now know as Sonny Smith).

This man proceeded to dictate to us the rules of the Bridgewater. We informed him that we are only on this canal until Sunday, we also told him what our plans were i.e. we are going to Lymm and then onto Midland Chandlers turning around as we are a 10ft euro cruiser and can not get through the tunnel so going back onto the L&L. He took a picture of our license and went.

We moored at Lymm that night.

The next morning we were sat inside our boat when someone bent down next to our boat and was looking through our window, next thing he placed a camera against the window and took a picture through the window. My wife jumped up and rushed to the door, at this point the man was by the boat behind us. She shouted stop doing that, stop taking pictures through our window. The man turned around and walked back to our boat. As he came closer he said “you should know I am, you saw me yesterday” Very odd thing to say. If he knew he saw us yesterday why take another picture of us. I will hint as to why, its because he wants you to get upset. My wife asked him not to take pictures through our window and she asked 6 times to see his ID, on the 6th time he only handed her a business card (which anyone can have printed these days) I still haven’t seen any I.D from this man.

Because my wife asked repeatedly to see his I.D, he said we had “24 hours to get off the Bridgewater and he was placing a 12 month ban on us”, she then asked to be given paperwork to that affect, he walked away only turning around to say to her “you need to get a life you”

So we have been given 24 hours to get off the Bridgewater canal just because my wife wanted to see some I.D from someone dressed in jeans and a shirt - NOT A UNIFORM, she wanted to see proof of ID because he was taking pictures through our window. We were inside the boat he did not knock or shout of hello to get our attention.

At no point did she swear at him or do anything which was threatening towards him, we have emailed the head office to complain about his intimidating behaviour and are waiting for their response as we have informed them I will be contacting the police as we feel that due to the fact that the day before we gave him all the information he needed there was no need for him to take another picture of our license. In my opinion he made a fuss at our window to draw our attention to the fact he was taking yet another picture just to upset us. If he wanted to record our index number it is painted on both sides at the back of the boat so he could have photographed that, NOT placing and pointing a camera at the window, anyone would panic at that, all sorts of things go through your mind at what they are up to. This practice of his is only aimed at provoking you.

This incident left my wife so upset and uncomfortable that she got a taxi back to our home that night. It took a lot to convince her to rejoin me at the border.

Whats your opinion on this, can we actually be excluded from the Bridgewater because my wife wanted to see I.D to prove he did work for Peel holdings and not some thief or peeping tom ?.

I'd be asking for the data protection policy of the company and ask how the images being taken are/were being stored and used and why in the first place there was a need for them to be taken. I would also want to know what authority the person taking the photos had and how he fits into the company data protection process.

Not on to intimidate to the point of someone leaving a boat.

Nev NB Percy

The Gestapo ruthlessly suppressed opposition to the Nazis in Germany and occupied Europe and sent Jews and others to concentration camps.

Not comparable really, however anyone wishing to take photos through my boat window and refusing to show ID or their authorisation so to do would be wise to have private health care that covers dental work.

I tend to get very "prissy" even reactive around those causing me to fear for my safety.

Perhaps I'm the one with The Gestapo attitude.

Contact Peel Holdings & tell them that a person claiming to be an employee ( No ID or proof of this produced ) & that the taking of a photo/s through your window to ascertain your belongings gave you the impression that he could have been doing this as a prelude to possibly breaking in to your boat later. I would also contact the police stating what occurred & ask if they would look into the matter for you & explain how it upset your wife, pretty good for public relations jobsworth's like him if he was actually an employee require the prompt issue of a P45 or whatever the form # is now an Email to C&rt telling how well the reciprocal licence set up is working may also be useful

Police matter: the chances of this guy being a Peel holdings employee, or a contractor to them, are slim. If he is either, he won't be for much longer.

Copy your report to Peel Holdings, the towpath is their property, and he was standing on it. If they have a roving inspector, they probably know where he was at the time of the incident.

Being Devils advocate, is Peel not getting what it wants (no visiting boats) by allowing an employee to use the tactics described here? I gather they have made no secret of the fact that they don't want visiting boats and if their enforcement officer is reducing the number of boats by using these tactics then I don't think Peel will be very concerned and will just keep a low profile. I know hearing about his tactics has put us off going to Manchester later this year after we visit the Weaver and I don't think we will be the only ones. Peels objective achieved!

A Police matter in my opinion.

haggis

• Greenie 1

Complain in writing to Peel Holdings (I am in no doubt this is a waste of time), contact the Police, and report the incident to C&RT as you have a legitimate right (as do we all) to spend upto 7 days on that waterway.

Keep copies of written records.

Whether this is an 'official' representative of Peel, or some imposter, his conduct must be brought to the attention of all three authorities in my view.

One zealous idiot should not put anyone off visiting the Bridgewater. There's more of us than him.

Rog

Anyone can say they are an official. If they have no ID, or refuse to show it, then you can assume they have no official standing. They certainly can't ban you verbally. Unpleasant but essentially meaningless. Can't see any point in contact with Peel as you have no proof he was theirs. I'd treat it as a police matter as someone scouting for burglary.

If you failed to see any bonafide ID was he a Peel Holdings employee? As others have said report to Police and Peel.

If he reappears tomorrow try discretely to get a photo of him.

I wouldn't bother with discretely. I'd just take it right in his face, if he complained then I'd point out that this is in lieu of his id until I'm sure he is genuine. But then I wouldn't recommend this action to anyone else, not unless they are prepared to deal the possible reactions from such an action. It's what I would do but I'm a martial arts instructor and just don't give a damn.

These threads seem to have been popping up almost regularly for a couple of years. The enforcement officer really does sound like a nasty little jobsworth. If you can cause him more hassle than he's caused you by sending the Police round to ask why he's pointing a camera into people's bedrooms, that sounds like a good start. Ditto quizzing Peel over Data Protection.

Report it to the police and Peel, what occurred was not legitimate and if he was not a Peel employee they need to be aware that someone is on their property proclaiming to be an employee and behaving in a wholly inappropriate manner. Sorry you had your trip ruined in such a horrible way.

I wouldn't bother with discretely. I'd just take it right in his face, if he complained then I'd point out that this is in lieu of his id until I'm sure he is genuine. But then I wouldn't recommend this action to anyone else, not unless they are prepared to deal the possible reactions from such an action. It's what I would do but I'm a martial arts instructor and just don't give a damn.

Interesting advice, but when you are 5' 4" and the wrong side of 65 one has to do a lot of things discretely. ninja.gif

Plus, I ain't no martial arts instructor. I once went to a Bob Ross arts class.

Edited by Ray T

Phone 101 to report, don't phone 999 and waste their time as it isn't an emergency "in progress" case.

You also need to report this issue to Peter Parkinson at the Bridgewater Canal Company as well as Louise Morrisey, the director of Peel Land and Planning.

Hope this helps

Liam

• Greenie 2

Anyone else think a good old fashioned protest cruise with suitable media coverage is in order if this keeps up?.....Peel will love the publicity on the local news.......

Yeah, I'd had the same thought but didn't think it was for me to suggest as there's no prospect of me taking part (no boat... sniff...)

I emailed The Bridgewater Canal Company a few weeks ago to ask what the speed limit is on the towpath, (for cyclists specifically, but I suppose it will apply to any form of mechanical transport).

No response to date... so I wouldn't be expecting a reply to any emails.

The name Sonny Smith is now familiar to many on the Bridgewater, such that I would expect that the Canal Company will be very familiar with complaints about his manner and tactics, so I would be equally surprised if any complaint engendered any kind of response, or action.