Handy 'bits and bobs' discoveries

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

Just wanted to share a couple of items we've found that are handy.

Having got some pictures I wanted to hang, and not wanting to punch hooks into the wood panelling, I've discovered 3M Damage Free Picture Hanging Strips. They can be removed without causing any damage too. Package says 4 strips (one for each corner of a picture) can hold 7.5kg - so I guess if you use just one to hang an item, it could hold the equivalent to 2 packs of sugar. Handy I thought! It works a bit like velcro, so the strips can be detached from each other. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Command-Picture-Hanging-17206-contains/dp/B00404YKZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474197633&sr=8-1&keywords=damage%2Bfree%2C%2B3m%2C%2Bheavy%2Bduty&th=1 These work great as it holds the bottom of frames in on sloping narrowboat walls.

The other handy 'bob' is a portable charger, which can be keep on charge while cruising. In the event of your mobile or tablet running out of charge, you can quickly recharge it. It's a backup of 'charger juice'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-5200mAh-Portable-External-Technology/dp/B00P8SY7HQ/ref=pd_vtph_107_bs_lp_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3TDMV6C0TR0M3HWHV31Q

I'm sure there's other handy 'stuff' others will know about.

Whilst I can understand not wanting to make holes in your wood panelling for hanging stuff up, I don't think I'd want to risk hanging anything up on a boat with a hook that you stick up. With all the vibrations generated running an engine plus all the knocks & scraping you encounter whilst cruising makes those a bit too risky in my opinion.

As for a charging gadget you plug in whilst cruising, why not just charge the phone & tablet whilst cruising?

Edited by BargeeSpud

We have been using the 3M hanging strips since the boat was new for hanging pictures. They also do coat hooks and even gadgets for inside the shower. None of these have fallen off in the two years since use. If removing it is important to follow the instructions and pull directly down on the strip which stretches it to the point it comes away from the wall leaving no mark.

We have been using the 3M hanging strips since the boat was new for hanging pictures. They also do coat hooks and even gadgets for inside the shower. None of these have fallen off in the two years since use. If removing it is important to follow the instructions and pull directly down on the strip which stretches it to the point it comes away from the wall leaving no mark.

+1 for the 3M strips - it's also easy to do the final "fine adjustments" when you realise youve hung your picture slightly wonky - like every time in my case! ?

+1 for the 3M strips - it's also easy to do the final "fine adjustments" when you realise youve hung your picture slightly wonky - like every time in my case!

Hint......It's NOT you that's wonky, it's the boat!!!

Cheers

David

Just wanted to share a couple of items we've found that are handy.

Having got some pictures I wanted to hang, and not wanting to punch hooks into the wood panelling, I've discovered 3M Damage Free Picture Hanging Strips. They can be removed without causing any damage too. Package says 4 strips (one for each corner of a picture) can hold 7.5kg - so I guess if you use just one to hang an item, it could hold the equivalent to 2 packs of sugar. Handy I thought! It works a bit like velcro, so the strips can be detached from each other. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Command-Picture-Hanging-17206-contains/dp/B00404YKZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474197633&sr=8-1&keywords=damage%2Bfree%2C%2B3m%2C%2Bheavy%2Bduty&th=1 These work great as it holds the bottom of frames in on sloping narrowboat walls.

Just ordered some from ebay

They can fail after a while - it does depend on the surface you use them on. I had a picture recently fall from a wall. Although not exactly the same I've always had problems with those things like soap dishes and flannel holders that stick by suction to glass or tiles in a shower as well. They've always failed after a couple of months in my experience.

• Greenie 1

The portable power pack described sounds like the power bars that we got with our new phones once. They are charged up whenever you can so you always have back up power for anything needing USB charging, I find them very useful.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Hint......It's NOT you that's wonky, it's the boat!!!

Cheers

David

Whilst that may be entirely possible- I do recall having the same issue when I lived in a house!

Thinking of handy gadgets, the OH's daughter recently gave us a rather nifty Rado solar charger. It's round and suctions to the porthole by the bed, has a usb socket and gains enough power during the day to charge my phone overnight - nifty, as there's no sockets near the bed and my battery is always flat come bedtime!

The portable power pack described sounds like the power bars that we got with our new phones once. They are charged up whenever you can so you always have back up power for anything needing USB charging, I find them very useful.

Phil

We just fitted USB charging points around the boat.

Instead of fenders?

I should think not.... He knows perfectly well that leaving charging cables dangling round outside of the boat is very dangerous. They can get caught up in locks, wrapped round props and it's a pig trying to hang over the side trying to plug your phone in. Edited by QCat