Winding Two Full Length Historic Boats At The Same Time

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Not a new video, but I have only just found this footage from the 2014 Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering lingering on my PC.

It is one way of turning two boats around at once, although not something you see very often, (except perhaps every year at Alvecote!)

EDIT:

For some reason it doesn't seem to want to work embedded directly in CWDF.

So please use this link instead.

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...

You can turn in a tighter space with two boats breasted up facing the same way by putting one of them in reverse. Presumably if you got the respective speeds right you could do it on the spot?

Provided you put the boat with the faulty reverse on the correct side, as I found to my cost at Alvecote a couple of years ago.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

You can turn in a tighter space with two boats breasted up facing the same way by putting one of them in reverse. Presumably if you got the respective speeds right you could do it on the spot?

I have a slight variation on this technique. With boat motor and motorised butty breasted up and facing the same way, I use the reverse on the butty (with its motor in the ellum like a giant outboard) and put the engine in the motor in forward - just enough to stop both boats going backwards. The pair don't quite turn in their own lengths, but it's not far off. This will only work if the motor is on the left of the butty, otherwise prop walk nullifies the turn.

To make the turn even easier when I'm on our mooring and want to turn round, I loop a line round a bollard from the stern of motor and put it in reverse. Both motor and butty will then gradually swing round so they are at right angles to the bank. I then unloop the line and continue with the manoeuvre mentioned above.

Years ago when Peter le Marchant Trust had narrow boats we used to reverse them paired up back to the winding hole (about half a mile) it works really well using only one of the two boats to give the odd forward blast to steer while the other keeps going astern.