Whalley Bridge area-hope you are ok

matty40s

Featured Posts

At Macclesfield. Almost constant lightning for about an hour but the thunder was a bit distant. Rain torrential. After it stopped went out to check the pin (We're half on the pontoons) and had to walk through an inch of water covering the towpath.

Edited by pearley

At Macclesfield. Almost constant lightning for about an hour but the thunder was a bit distant. Rain torrential. After it stopped went out to check the pin (We're half on the pontoons) and had to walk through an inch of water covering the towpath.

A couple of miles south of you and some of the lightning was right overhead. Big storm!

Torrential rain and local thunder continuing for over an hour at Nantwich.

So much for the hottest September day for decades; it was quite warm before the rain but nowhere near the forecast temperatures. But apparently it was quite warm in London, therefore the media reports it as though the whole country had the same!

Got to about 28 degrees in Sheffield which then sparked off some pretty impressive storms, pretty much continual lightening for over an hour, torrential rain and hail stones and a tornado.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/video-tornado-touches-down-in-sheffield-as-thunderstorms-rage-across-city-1-8123399

Didn't get any pictures of the lightening but I did get the storm front moving in.

14358986_1252800304772608_85051475476265

Got to about 28 degrees in Sheffield which then sparked off some pretty impressive storms, pretty much continual lightening for over an hour, torrential rain and hail stones and a tornado.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/video-tornado-touches-down-in-sheffield-as-thunderstorms-rage-across-city-1-8123399

Didn't get any pictures of the lightening but I did get the storm front moving in.

14358986_1252800304772608_85051475476265

I can remember when the sky over parts of Sheff. usually looked like that!

It topped 30c here in the Fens, clear blue sky and not a sniff of any rain.

Phil

Absolutely - we had a barbecue in the river garden yesterday evening, a rare event after September starts. Th evening was warm, calm and idyllic, I said to Mrs. Athy that it reminded me of evenings in Southern Spain. What's more, the forecast suggests that it will the same again today, but perhaps a bit hotter. Yippee!

Edited by Athy

Absolutely - we had a barbecue in the river garden yesterday evening, a rare event after September starts. Th evening was warm, calm and idyllic, I said to Mrs. Athy that it reminded me of evenings in Southern Spain. What's more, the forecast suggests that it will the same again today, but perhaps a bit hotter. Yippee!

Came out of Aldi last night at about 8:00pm, hadn't realised how cool it was inside - it was like walking into a 'wall of heat' (my watch said it was 28o C) it was just like being in Asia.

Cold, Misty & Damp this morning - 9:00am = jumper weather

Just north of Barnoldswick. (Pronounced Barlick locally) What a nasty storm that was. As said, over an hour of sheet lightening,distant thunder and three or four very loud cracks of thunder directly overhead. One dog was okay about it, the other a shivering wreck. And they are sisters.

Very nice morning today, feels a lot fresher,slight breeze. Lovely!

Just north of Barnoldswick. (Pronounced Barlick locally) What a nasty storm that was. As said, over an hour of sheet lightening,distant thunder and three or four very loud cracks of thunder directly overhead. One dog was okay about it, the other a shivering wreck. And they are sisters.

Very nice morning today, feels a lot fresher,slight breeze. Lovely!

It was quite spectacular at choir practice at Settle, with lots of flashes and rubbles from behind our conductor, and the road was flooded in places on the way back to Barlick. We are currently rehearsing a concert of music composed by people involved with places along the L&LC as part of the canal's 200th anniversary celebrations, and will be performing at Gisburn Church on Saturday 12th November.

Glad everyone seems OK after the storms and heat over there. Here we have had rain today for the first time in about 2 months and the farmers are desperate for rain. The cattle and sheep have been being fed hay since about the beginning of August as no grass has grown since then. Normally we get a week or two of hot weather then a spectacular storm such as parts of the U.K. have just had, then back to sun again, but this summer it has been sun since mid June, after a truly wet miserable and long spring.

Watch out for the lightning and don't use a brolly as you helm!