Few Questions re. CC'ing and Living Aboard.

Featured Posts

Providing our improved health remains stable, it looks as though Mrs CW, the dogs and myself are going to sell our pile of bricks, contents and car, and live aboard full time. I realise it is possibly prudent to keep a land based home of some sort, and possibly rent it out, but I don't see us doing that. Even if we packed in the boat there is no guarantee we would stay in the UK. It might be a "plan B" though.

So the questions:

My daughter is happy to be a "postal address" for us. Any probs with that (especially from her point of view?) We would need to register our driving licences, passports and suchlike at her address

We would be in the same area to remain registered with our current doctor, again any probs with that (presumably if ill in a different area we could register as temp. patients?)

Same as above with dentist?

What happens re TV licence?

Any recommendations for boat insurance when living aboard?

Have we gone mad?

We are quite well equipped having lived aboard for several months at a time, though never in the coldest weather. We thought we might like to take short term marina moorings or similar for the coldest months.

Any other advice gratefully received :)

I know these have been asked many times before, but some things change so going for updated advice.

Many thanks cheers.gif

Think you has cracked most of it, only one thought

"My daughter is happy to be a "postal address" for us. Any probs with that (especially from her point of view?)" If your daughter is the only adult living in the house and claim council tax discount or is getting housing benefit you using her address could cause problems. Particularly if you register on the electoral roll at her address.

Providing our improved health remains stable, it looks as though Mrs CW, the dogs and myself are going to sell our pile of bricks, contents and car, and live aboard full time. I realise it is possibly prudent to keep a land based home of some sort, and possibly rent it out, but I don't see us doing that. Even if we packed in the boat there is no guarantee we would stay in the UK. It might be a "plan B" though.

So the questions:

My daughter is happy to be a "postal address" for us. Any probs with that (especially from her point of view?) We would need to register our driving licences, passports and suchlike at her address no

We would be in the same area to remain registered with our current doctor, again any probs with that (presumably if ill in a different area we could register as temp. patients?) you don't need to stay in the same area just be there if you are ill. don't tell the DR

Same as above with dentist? don't tell them either

What happens re TV licence? if your daughter buys one your covered.

Any recommendations for boat insurance when living aboard? just upgrade your existing to fully comp.

Have we gone mad? completely :lol:

We are quite well equipped having lived aboard for several months at a time, though never in the coldest weather. We thought we might like to take short term marina moorings or similar for the coldest months.

Any other advice gratefully received smile.png

I know these have been asked many times before, but some things change so going for updated advice.

Many thanks cheers.gif

Thanks so far folks wink.png

Just to expand on the "marina" idea; we both need to have hospital checks etc. around December so we figured that if we got into a marina near a train station it would make life easier, plus perhaps a little more comfort for the darker days such as mains electricity, laundry etc. Also convenient for friends/relations visiting at Christmas, and boat safe whilst visiting others abroad. Perhaps a bit of boat fettling time too.

Edited by Guest

We were registered at our daughter's address for many years, whilst she claimed the single occupancy rebate on her CT. Once in a while the council would write and query this, but she just rang them up, explained the situation and they were fine about it. It's best to register for a postal vote so that you don't have to be nearby at election time.

Thanks so far folks wink.png

Just to expand on the "marina" idea; we both need to have hospital checks etc. around December so we figured that if we got into a marina near a train station it would make life easier, plus perhaps a little more comfort for the darker days such as mains electricity, laundry etc. Also convenient for friends/relations visiting at Christmas, and boat safe whilst visiting others abroad. Perhaps a bit of boat fettling time too.

That makes good sense to me

Most of the red answers from GoodGurl I have to agree with.

It really is best not to tell authorities and firms things that they don't need to know which might cause issues for you.

But this one We would need to register our driving licences, passports and suchlike at her address no

I would have thought the answer was yes for driving licences and passports.

It really is best not to tell authorities and firms things that they don't need to know which might cause issues for you.

But this one We would need to register our driving licences, passports and suchlike at her address no

yes you are right it should have been YES, i misread it.

Agree with all this. Important thing is to choose an address and stick with it, so bank, driving licence all have same address.

Don't tell GP you don't all ways live in that area they will refuse to register you.

You will not be cold if you have multi fuel stove and keep it in day and night.

Val

Unless you need the cash I would strongly recommend keeping your house and renting it out. This will provide an income and you still have an appreciating asset.

Thanks to all for comments.

This is the one thing niggling me at the moment. I am certain the correct solution will emerge. I did consider downsizing to a flat/smaller house then renting that out. Best of both worlds maybe?

Time will tell.

I would query the TV license answer, it is my understanding that if you rely on your home address to watch TV on your boat only one of the TV's can be used at a time.

Tim

That is how I read it as well.

From the TV licencing website:

If you have a static caravan, mobile home or moveable chalet and it has a TV which is used at the same time as a TV set is being used in your main licensed home you'll need a separate licence to cover your second home

I would imagine a boat comes under the same sort of rules. My bold.

I would query the TV license answer, it is my understanding that if you rely on your home address to watch TV on your boat only one of the TV's can be used at a time.

Tim

This has come up before, the TV licensing web site specifically answers this question, so it is only the static caravans and the like that you can not use a one locaton at a time, for a boat (or other movable "structures") you can use at home at the same time as well.

You don’t need a separate TV Licence for

Any device powered solely by its own internal batteries (i.e. it is not connected to an aerial or plugged into the mains). Your main home’s TV Licence will cover this.

Boats, touring caravans or vehicles as they’re already covered by your main home’s TV Licence.

Static caravans, mobile homes or moveable chalets. Your main home’s TV Licence will cover you provided you don’t watch TV in both homes at the same time. In this case you would need to complete a Non-simultaneous use declaration form (PDF 17 Kb opens in a new window) .

Edited by john6767

This has come up before, the TV licensing web site specifically answers this question, so it is only the static caravans and the like that you can not use a one locaton at a time, for a boat (or other movable "structures") you can use at home at the same time as well.

You don’t need a separate TV Licence for

Any device powered solely by its own internal batteries (i.e. it is not connected to an aerial or plugged into the mains). Your main home’s TV Licence will cover this.

Boats, touring caravans or vehicles as they’re already covered by your main home’s TV Licence.

Static caravans, mobile homes or moveable chalets. Your main home’s TV Licence will cover you provided you don’t watch TV in both homes at the same time. In this case you would need to complete a Non-simultaneous use declaration form (PDF 17 Kb opens in a new window) .

I would suggest that if a boat is a liveaboard and the main residence, i.e. the occupier spends the majority of their time living on the boat. The boat will be classified as the main residence and any other address that they may use or even own is not the main residence.

Edited by Geo

Thanks, however in this case I would have thought that using their daughters adress as an accommodation addess that this will not be counted as a main home as far as the licencing peeps are concerned.

Tim

Thanks, however in this case I would have thought that using their daughters adress as an accommodation addess that this will not be counted as a main home as far as the licencing peeps are concerned.

Tim

So which licence would cover them? I assume they need to have their own for the boat.

So which licence would cover them? I assume they need to have their own for the boat.

I believe the TV licence people have the ability to deal with this situation. Postal address and Licence address