Best Map For Staffs & Worcs

estima

Featured Posts

I'm leaving Autherley at the beginning of October and heading anti clockwise around the four counties ring. I have always used geoprojects maps to ensure I know where I'm going, what I'm doing and what is where. The maps have gotten a bit battered and weather-worn over the years but I've always been able to pick up a new one online, or in a chandlery for a few quid.

When I did this route in April, I kept my Staffs & Worcs map "safe" from harm on the roof, weighted by a mug so it didn't blow away. Along comes one of the crew, takes a look at the map, puts it back on the roof and doesn't weigh it down, then looks utterly surprised when it blew off.

Anyway, I'm being a bit long winded here (but needed to vent my frustration) and essentially, I'm after a map for the Staffs and Worcs. I've tried Amazon and ebay but I'm not going to get one unless I pay over £500. I'm wondering what the alternatives are that would be cheaper? I imagine geoprojects no longer do this map, hence the big money. I don't need anything fancy as I can do the S&W in a day, but I do like to be fully clued up as to the location of the locks, facilities etc. What do you recommend as a cheap and simple guide across the S&W?

Thank you in advance.

Overvthe 22 years we had shares in boats, we used every conceivable map or guide book.

Opinion between shareholders was pretty much split between Nicholson's and Pearsons.

Depends whether you like descriptive prose (Pearsons) or a more factual approach with OS maps (Nicholsons).

Another good one was First Mate guides, which show chemists, vets, doctors as well as local shops.

These are no longer in print or updated , but can downloaded from http://www.firstmateguides.co.uk

Nobody's mentioned the Lockmaster charts/maps. We do have Nicholson's and Pearson's, but I love the Lockmaster ones because they're just .... well, if you have them you'll know biggrin.png . And they're for sitting at a table and mulling over rather than up on the back of the boat but all the same .............

It's really down to personal preference. If you like to read something that looks like a proper map then Nicholsons, if you prefer something in picture form then Pearsons. The latter do provide a bit more in the way of local info, but the former relates more to the lay of the land. For 25 quid you could have both.

It's really straightforward - if you want the best map then it has to be Nicholsons as you can't beat an OS map for accuracy. But if you want a detailed and entertaining commentary on the canal and the places you;re going through then it's Pearsons. I try to have both available.

Edited by John Wareing

Pearson is far easier to see/read if you are old and with poor sight! Nicholson though is far more factual and as has been said a far more accurate map. Nicholson also has the advantage of knowing exactly where North is so you can identify direction of the eye in the sky!!