Anyone know anything about these Prity stoves?

DeanS

Featured Posts

I bought a boat and it came fitted with one of these....

What is it...?

Is it safe?

Does it use a glass?

It's quite thin.....compared to a solid cast iron stove...

1) It's a stove, you knew that already!

2) Almost certainly yes. The million dollar question is 'is it listed in the appliance schedule' with the BSS? If it is, it has been inspected and someone with a piece of paper thinks its safe.

3) One would hope so given the visble flames in the photo. A brief inspection of the front of yours would reveal the answer.

Wood burning stove made of 3 mm. Steel.

Japanese made ceramic glass, 5mm thickness

Suitable for wood/Coal burning

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-kw-Multi-Fuel-Wood-Burning-Stove-Woodburning-Modern-Black-Prity-Optimal-/291702711816?hash=item43ead62608:g:3skAAOSwqu9VPgdl

Looks OK to me

Richard

Fabricated steel stoves are always thin.

Define "thin"

I'm sure I measured our Villager Heron at 5mm. This is almost exactly the same as the sides of one of our boats was built with 80 years ago, so probably more than adequate for long life in a simple multifuel stove.

Isn't the Boatman stove built to a similar specification? People have reported favourably on that model.

Edited to add: simultaneous and opposing posts from two of us, so typical of CWF!

Edited by Athy

Thanks all. I have a "proper" solid heavy, cast iron stove in my widebeam, and was surprised at the steel construction of the other...it has no glass in it but the old user obviously tested it like that , so I thought I'd ask...thinking perhaps it was only a wood fire and something I'm not up to speed on. It seems to have a very flimsy door lock compared to the one on my cast iron one...and is missing the firerope and glass (making the latch seem flimsier.) It looks brand new..but not fixed down properly yet (I'll do that). It does have a big fireboard etc so I'm happy with the surrounding install. The flue also seems thin compared to what I'm used to out of my cast iron one....which has a one piece cast iron flue. The Prity has a butterfly bolt above the stove and a join halfway up ...which I'll definately seal with some fire retardent silicone ( made a mistake on old stove of using fire putty to seal flue and it gets brittle, cracks etc).

So I guess I'll keep it, and use it, with a few safety mods to make it safe. The collar/chimney is all properly installed.

If im hones it was looking at one of these to put in untill i found a proper cast fancy one. As there quite cheap so if it lasted 2-3 years at £180 ish could be replaced 5-8 times before i spent the same on a referbished cast old stove.

Then i found mine at £100 bit big but will do the job just would be better on a butty but it will fit just.