Tunnel lights

dogless

Featured Posts

On 5/30/2017 at 16:29, ditchcrawler said:

Sometimes if Diana drives through the tunnel I stand on the deck and look at the brickwork, its surprising the bits and pieces you see in there.

^^^ This ^^^

I love hanging about in tunnels. I once managed to stay in Crick tunnel for three hours inspecting the brickwork detail and looking for bats before another boat arrived and broke the spell.

• Greenie 1

I love hanging about in tunnels. I once managed to stay in Crick tunnel for three hours inspecting the brickwork detail and looking for bats before another boat arrived and broke the spell.

You, sir, are seriously weird.   I thoroughly approve; if only more were like you.

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

^^^ This ^^^

I keep meaning to stop at one of the side holes in braunston and have a climb in to one, maybe a night cruise would be better though due to pesky other boaters...

2 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

I keep meaning to stop at one of the side holes in braunston and have a climb in to one, maybe a night cruise would be better though due to pesky other boaters...

I've had that thought too. Wear a hard hat ?   

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

Would it be possible to arrange a walk-through of Braunston tunnel? Quite a few boats would be required, preferably ones without awkward cratches.

Do you mean arrange to leg a boat through?

An ambitious tunnel to start on, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Dave Payne said:

I think the Blisworth one looks more interesting as you can see light at the end of one of them.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Do you mean arrange to leg a boat through?

An ambitious tunnel to start on, in my opinion.

Nope. Walk through the tunnel using a line of boats moored nose to tail. Sponsored of course in aid of some charity nobody has ever heard of.

28 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Nope. Walk through the tunnel using a line of boats moored nose to tail. Sponsored of course in aid of some charity nobody has ever heard of.

Given the limited headroom in most tunnels, this may have to become a sponsored crawl :P

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Given the limited headroom in most tunnels, this may have to become a sponsored crawl :P

We're talking about Braunston specifically. Its a while since I went through. What's the headroom like?

And how many boats 60fte would it take? 

Edited by system 4-50

7 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

We're talking about Braunston specifically. Its a while since I went through. What's the headroom like?

And how many boats 60fte would it take? 

The headroom in Braunston Tunnel is good by canal tunnel standards, but I don't think it is high enough to  stand up on the roof of the boats.

Braunston tunnel is 2042 yards long, so 102 boats of 60 foot length could fit in fender to fender.

17 minutes ago, cuthound said:

The headroom in Braunston Tunnel is good by canal tunnel standards, but I don't think it is high enough to  stand up on the roof of the boats.

Braunston tunnel is 2042 yards long, so 102 boats of 60 foot length could fit in fender to fender.

Damn, that's two more than I'd budgeted for.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, bluegreencanal said:

I think the walk through idea is seriously flawed unless all you boaters live ON diesel fumes? Brilliant reading though thanks!

Boats tied nose to tail, only one engine to pull all in. 

Quite doable. 

Bod

It would take more than 102 due to narrow boats being considerably less width than the tunnel so would be likely to be zig-zagged.

You should use all of the wide beam boats to be found on the G.U.

Could you please arrange it to happen when I next go towards London from Stoke Bruerne please, then I'll know where all of the blasted things are?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

It would take more than 102 due to narrow boats being considerably less width than the tunnel so would be likely to be zig-zagged.

You should use all of the wide beam boats to be found on the G.U.

Could you please arrange it to happen when I next go towards London from Stoke Bruerne please, then I'll know where all of the blasted things are?

Butties have "tunnel hooks" for a reason. :)

George