Tunnel lights

dogless

Featured Posts

I recently posted about passing a working pair in Braunston tunnel, but the thread got locked for unconnected reasons.

I intended to mention that having passed four opposing boats on my last passage, I was mildly confused by one of the boats displaying a headlight, but with two very white and bright lights also darting about. The headlight was fine, but the other two were exceedingly bright and disorientating, not helped by my being unable to work out what they were.

As we got closer, I realised it was a double head torch on the steerer. A friendly chap, he insisted on passing the time of day, which meant he was facing me, and blinding me.

A head torch may be a good idea, but people ought to be aware, if wearing one, to be careful passing other boats.

Rog

• Greenie 2

I have a head torch. Handy for working hands free in engine area.

But this was a double headed one with very white light. I'll be looking out for one. It was much better than mine which has more in common with the old tin miners candle on a head strap.

Rog

Seems to be the present day trend to have a boat lit up like Blackpool illuminations for traveling though tunnels maybe an advantage for the steerer of that boat but a bit of a problem for the steerer of a boat going the other way, it will be moving to a "Dip your headlights" when passing oncoming boats in tunnels in C&rt's hint & tips before too long

Seems to be the present day trend to have a boat lit up like Blackpool illuminations for traveling though tunnels maybe an advantage for the steerer of that boat but a bit of a problem for the steerer of a boat going the other way, it will be moving to a "Dip your headlights" when passing oncoming boats in tunnels in C&rt's hint & tips before too long

I agree. I don't really see the point of a searchlight that illuminates the tunnel half a mile ahead (and blinds oncoming skippers). You know what's there without looking - unless of course the tunnel has collapsed or a new bend has appeared.

What is useful in my opinion is illumination that shows how the roof of the boat is placed, relative to the tunnel walls. That's why I have an adjustable floodlight at the rear of the boat, facing forwards. When I pass another boat I just rotate it clockwise.

I entered Husbands Bosworth tunnel last week. Only 800yds or so, straight and you could see right through. It was clear so I put some revs on to get through sharply.

Entered the tunnel to realise my headlight wasn't working, however by the time I realised, I was making good progress.I either had to stop and reverse out, which may involve some clattering about, or go for it.

I put my navi lights on, and Jane turned our interior lights on, and we passed through very easily, and at a good pace. On checking later it was just a dry joint and easily remedied. First time that's happened to me. Glad it wasn't Harecastle. But of course at Harecastle they very sensibly make you check your headlight (blush).

Maybe the super strong head torch is worth having at least as a back up, but not for wearing to the pub.

Rog

Met a boat coming through Braunston tunnel a few years ago with a 12" spot light on the front, by the time we were a boat length apart I could not see the front of the boat I was on or where I was in the tunnel. Needless to say this was followed by a bit of a bang as I glanced off their bow and a few cross words from both sides.

With a bit more experience now I would suggest just watching the wall side of your own boat and trying to shield your eyes from the spot light as best you can.

Met a boat coming through Braunston tunnel a few years ago with a 12" spot light on the front, by the time we were a boat length apart I could not see the front of the boat I was on or where I was in the tunnel. Needless to say this was followed by a bit of a bang as I glanced off their bow and a few cross words from both sides.

With a bit more experience now I would suggest just watching the wall side of your own boat and trying to shield your eyes from the spot light as best you can.

I tend to use my spare hand as a shield over the offending light as it approaches but I have often shouted the advice that a moderate FOG light, not SPOT light, angled up to illuminate the roof would be a better idea.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

I tend to use my spare hand as a shield over the offending light as it approaches but I have often shouted the advice that a moderate FOG light, not SPOT light, angled up to illuminate the roof would be a better idea.

Well intentioned, no doubt, but many people think free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

FWIW I agree with the 'point a foglight at the roof' approach.

• Greenie 1

Well intentioned, no doubt, but many people think free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

FWIW I agree with the 'point a foglight at the roof' approach.

Indeed, but being on the receiving end of others lack of knowledge of how to light their way through a tunnel means I shall continue to dispense the advice, gratis! cheers.gif

When we first bought our boat, when the tunnel light and nav lights were 'on' there was a white light at the arsend to illuminate the cockpit area (I presume). After getting the Memsahib to stand in front of the blessed thing during our first tunnel transit I took the bulb out and never replaced it.

That white light is part of your navigation lights that go with the red and green one, its not there to light your cockpit. It is something that may be required if you are navigating some rivers in bad weather or after dark just like the red and green one.

• Greenie 1

I much prefer to have a very bright light or two when I'm going through a tunnel. If someone coming the other way gets blinded by my lights, then they're not going backwards fast enough.

Probably because they can't see a dam thing ...

In darkness, a light is visible for a considerable distance, so blinding the oncoming steerer is unnecessary and counter productive, IMHO

That white light is part of your navigation lights that go with the red and green one, its not there to light your cockpit. It is something that may be required if you are navigating some rivers in bad weather or after dark just like the red and green one.

Was. It has been removed. It was not needed for canals and was nothing but a nuisance in tunnels (not many of them on tidal rivers) .

Was. It has been removed. It was not needed for canals and was nothing but a nuisance in tunnels (not many of them on tidal rivers) .

I actually like that light. I think it helps me to keep my perspective of the whole boat.

But each to their own as the old lady said as she kissed the cow.

Rog

I have a magnetic led torch I stick on the roof hatch at the rear facing the wall and slightly to the ceilings which I find helps me judge better were I am, also as its facing away from oncoming boats so as not to dazzle.dint stop a boat bouncing off the wall and hitting me head on in braunstone though

When we were Hotel Boating I found that getting some one to switch on the interior lights for the front half of the boat (the light shining through the cabin windows on the tunnel sides helped a good amount for judging your position in relation the tunnel sides)

When we were Hotel Boating I found that getting some one to switch on the interior lights for the front half of the boat (the light shining through the cabin windows on the tunnel sides helped a good amount for judging your position in relation the tunnel sides)

Absoloutely

Do this all the time