Cruising from Sawley Marina to Keadby lock

Jacobyte

Featured Posts

Hi I've just recently acquired a Seamaster 23 River cruiser and it is currently moored at Sawley Marina in Nottinghamshire, want to move her to the L&L canal up where I live by the canal, have been researching the route and I will be going onto the tidal part of the river trent to get to the Keadby locks, from what I have found out, I will need a VHF Radio, Anchor and Navigation Lights, I have a Collins guide book for the trent and also I need the Sissons charts for the tidal part of the trent to tell where there's unseen obstacles and sand banks and the correct way to avoid them. Also inform the lock keepers 24 hours in advance of arrival so they know we are coming, keep a look out for gravel barges as they use the centre channel as it's deeper and there's lots of bends along the route, I have life jackets and mobile phone to hand as well.

I don't have a licence to use a VHF Radio but I was told it's ok to listen too and find out other boats positions on the river, only require licence to speak to others. The lock keepers keep each other informed about us and also can tell us what best times to enter there locks with the tides.

My only experience of boating is on the L&L Canal only using narrow boats, so will be different with a cruiser, the engine has been serviced recently as well.

So is there any more information/help you can give me as I plan on doing it in 2 weeks time, thanks, Mike.unsure.png

You won't need to worry about gravel barges. They have ceased to run.

ETA: Worth noting that once you are below Gainsborough bridge you are no longer on CRT waters and you will have switched to ABP waters with a different set of byelaws and requirements.

Edited by Naughty Cal

You won't need to worry about gravel barges. They have ceased to run.

Great, one thing less to worry about.

Switch between CRT Waters to ABP waters with a different set of byelaws and requirements.

Yes it changes over with different rules, have looked into that and will check further as well, to comply with the requirements, thanks.

Edited by Jacobyte

I've just done your trip in a (short) narrowboat. You don't need navigation lights if you are only travelling by day.

I know that there has been discussion on here about VHF and charts, and I'm not getting into any argument about either, but when I asked the Cromwell lockie for an up-to-date chart, to replace my 30-year old Ripon Motor Boat Club one, he said "Well, it hasn't changed, but if you really want to spend £10......".

VHF? Both Cromwell and West Stockwith lockies were pretty sanguine about me not having it, and I was mildly amused to receive a notice from CRT asking that boaters should phone when passing the motorway bridge as the Keadby VHF wasn't working (I haven't had any notice to say that it is now).

Don't neglect the anchor and lifejackets, though. I was told that many boats don't have either.

VHF is not essential, it's just very handy. Not just for the tidal part, but for calling ahead to locks on the non-tidal Trent, too. You can contact them by phone, but I find using a mobile phone fiddly compared to just picking up the VHF and calling. Other advantage of VHF is that by listening you are aware of other boats' movements around the locks.

I always have the anchor ready and wear a lifejacket anywhere on the Trent.

I thought that getting the chart might be an unnecessary bother for taking a shallow draughted narrowboat out onto the river, but having seen the river itself I was glad I was able to follow the chart.

You will need to look at the tide tables to work out a suitable date and approximate timings for your trip from Cromwell to Keadby and to decide whether you will do it in one go, or stop over at Dunham or Torksey. Call the lock-keeper at Cromwell the day before you intend going, not just to advise him to expect you, but to arrange a departure time to suit the river/tide conditions. If you settle for an early morning departure from Cromwell, you can stop overnight on the moorings above the lock.

Oh, and enjoy the trip, but don't blink as you pass Gainsborough. You might miss it.

Hi I've just recently acquired a Seamaster 23 River cruiser and it is currently moored at Sawley Marina in Nottinghamshire, want to move her to the L&L canal up where I live by the canal, have been researching the route and I will be going onto the tidal part of the river trent to get to the Keadby locks, from what I have found out, I will need a VHF Radio, Anchor and Navigation Lights, I have a Collins guide book for the trent and also I need the Sissons charts for the tidal part of the trent to tell where there's unseen obstacles and sand banks and the correct way to avoid them. Also inform the lock keepers 24 hours in advance of arrival so they know we are coming, keep a look out for gravel barges as they use the centre channel as it's deeper and there's lots of bends along the route, I have life jackets and mobile phone to hand as well.

I don't have a licence to use a VHF Radio but I was told it's ok to listen too and find out other boats positions on the river, only require licence to speak to others. The lock keepers keep each other informed about us and also can tell us what best times to enter there locks with the tides.

My only experience of boating is on the L&L Canal only using narrow boats, so will be different with a cruiser, the engine has been serviced recently as well.

So is there any more information/help you can give me as I plan on doing it in 2 weeks time, thanks, Mike.unsure.png

The canal from Keadby to Bramwith, and the New Junction from Bramwith to the Aire and Calder to the West of Goole, are a seemingly endless procession of, nowadays un-manned lift and swing bridges, which not only slow the journey down but are a complete pain in the arse if it's at all windy while you're having to tie-up twice at each bridge to work it yourself.

So, if this is just a boat moving exercise and time taken to do it is a consideration, then there is slightly quicker route on to the Aire and Calder via the river Ouse and Goole, but it is not a safe and suitable alternative for a lone vessel in the hands of someone without previous experience of the Trent below Keadby and the Ouse between the Humber and Goole.

Even only going as far downriver as Keadby, it would be advisable to either take someone with some relevant experience with you, or, at the very least, go in the company of another boat.

Getting into Keadby lock with a good ebb running down, which you will almost certainly be doing if you follow the advice and adhere to the timings you will get from the likes of C&RT's lock keepers, can be a bit daunting, so have a search on this Forum, or You Tube, for some video clips of how it's done.

Alternatively, it is possible to time your arrival at Keadby for a doddle of an entry into the lock around [local] High Water [HW] with the tide [river current] dropping slack and the river not far off level with the canal.

Hi Mike, I live in Long Eaton just a couple of miles from Sawley Marina. I retired from boating in March but still have a hand held vhf radio (Cobra Marine MR HH 100 VP EU) Full working order including rechargeable batteries,charger and handbook, RYA vhf book, Aveness 2 way chart, River Trent, Nottingham to Trent Falls and a very detailed 9 page A4 photocopy of another river trent chart. I won't be needing them again and they would appear to be just what your looking for £25 for the lot and there yours cheers Bill.

If the OP is thinking of stopping at Gainsborough he might want to check out this video (start at 1:05)

That was good fun to watch - love the girls' commentary!

Edited by stripey

Hi Mike, I live in Long Eaton just a couple of miles from Sawley Marina. I retired from boating in March but still have a hand held vhf radio (Cobra Marine MR HH 100 VP EU) Full working order including rechargeable batteries,charger and handbook, RYA vhf book, Aveness 2 way chart, River Trent, Nottingham to Trent Falls and a very detailed 9 page A4 photocopy of another river trent chart. I won't be needing them again and they would appear to be just what your looking for £25 for the lot and there yours cheers Bill.

Hi Bill, yes I would be interested in buying it off you, I am coming down tomorrow afternoon and wondered if it would be possible to collect it then ? can you contact me and give me your address via email

thanks, Mike.

Edited by Jacobyte

The canal from Keadby to Bramwith, and the New Junction from Bramwith to the Aire and Calder to the West of Goole, are a seemingly endless procession of, nowadays un-manned lift and swing bridges, which not only slow the journey down but are a complete pain in the arse if it's at all windy while you're having to tie-up twice at each bridge to work it yourself.

So, if this is just a boat moving exercise and time taken to do it is a consideration, then there is slightly quicker route on to the Aire and Calder via the river Ouse and Goole, but it is not a safe and suitable alternative for a lone vessel in the hands of someone without previous experience of the Trent below Keadby and the Ouse between the Humber and Goole.

Even only going as far downriver as Keadby, it would be advisable to either take someone with some relevant experience with you, or, at the very least, go in the company of another boat.

Getting into Keadby lock with a good ebb running down, which you will almost certainly be doing if you follow the advice and adhere to the timings you will get from the likes of C&RT's lock keepers, can be a bit daunting, so have a search on this Forum, or You Tube, for some video clips of how it's done.

Alternatively, it is possible to time your arrival at Keadby for a doddle of an entry into the lock around [local] High Water [HW] with the tide [river current] dropping slack and the river not far off level with the canal.

Will try to go with another boat down to Keadby if there are any going and getting to the locks for high tide sounds great as well, anything to make it easier the better, watched youtube videos of narrow boats entering the lock and how they face the flow towards them before turning and entering the lock, thanks for the info.

VHF is not essential, it's just very handy. Not just for the tidal part, but for calling ahead to locks on the non-tidal Trent, too. You can contact them by phone, but I find using a mobile phone fiddly compared to just picking up the VHF and calling. Other advantage of VHF is that by listening you are aware of other boats' movements around the locks.

I always have the anchor ready and wear a lifejacket anywhere on the Trent.

I thought that getting the chart might be an unnecessary bother for taking a shallow draughted narrowboat out onto the river, but having seen the river itself I was glad I was able to follow the chart.

You will need to look at the tide tables to work out a suitable date and approximate timings for your trip from Cromwell to Keadby and to decide whether you will do it in one go, or stop over at Dunham or Torksey. Call the lock-keeper at Cromwell the day before you intend going, not just to advise him to expect you, but to arrange a departure time to suit the river/tide conditions. If you settle for an early morning departure from Cromwell, you can stop overnight on the moorings above the lock.

Oh, and enjoy the trip, but don't blink as you pass Gainsborough. You might miss it.

Would prefer to do it in one go, so early morning departure

Will try to go with another boat down to Keadby if there are any going and getting to the locks for high tide sounds great as well, anything to make it easier the better, watched youtube videos of narrow boats entering the lock and how they face the flow towards them before turning and entering the lock, thanks for the info.

Depends what you mean by 'early morning' - you won't be able to go 'early morning' as you cannot depart the lock until the lock keeper comes on duty.

Manual (boater) operation is not allowed.

Will try to go with another boat down to Keadby if there are any going and getting to the locks for high tide sounds great as well, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

It's unlikely you'll get anything resembling useful help or advice from the lock keeper at Keadby on how to get there and pen at [local] High Water [HW], but if you would prefer that, then I can give you dates and departure times [from Cromwell, Dunham or Torksey] to do it in daylight and within the restricted lock working hours.

Cromwell to Keadby is 43 miles, and even if you go for the option of getting into Keadby at around the time of HW, you will still have some ebb under you for a good two thirds of the distance from Cromwell.

To give you more flexibility in planning which day for making the journey, you could increase the number of options to some extent by starting off from the floating pontoon at Dunham [about four miles upriver of Torksey], instead of waiting overnight topside of Cromwell.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Hi Bill, yes I would be interested in buying it off you, I am coming down tomorrow afternoon and wondered if it would be possible to collect it then ? can you contact me and give me your address via email

thanks, Mike.

Thanks for email, will see you tomorrow smile.png

Depends what you mean by 'early morning' - you won't be able to go 'early morning' as you cannot depart the lock until the lock keeper comes on duty.

Well when we can leave will do lol.

It's unlikely you'll get anything resembling useful help or advice from the lock keeper at Keadby on how to get there and pen at [local] High Water [HW], but if you would prefer that, then I can give you dates and departure times [from Cromwell, Dunham or Torksey] to do it in daylight and within the restricted lock working hours.

Cromwell to Keadby is 43 miles, and even if you go for the option of getting into Keadby at around the time of HW, you will still have some ebb under you for a good two thirds of the distance from Cromwell.

To give you more flexibility in planning which day for making the journey, you could increase the number of options to some extent by starting off from the floating pontoon at Dunham, instead of waiting overnight topside of Cromwell.

Useful info, will check it out and decide what to do, thanks.

I did the journey from Keadby to Cromwell in June, this was the first time I'd been on the river.

Lock keeper let us out of Keadby at 8-30 am. My Perkins 4018 was set at 1500 revs, which never changed through the day. I pulled in to Cromwell lock at 5-30 pm.

I ran aground once while looking straight at some red signs on poles and wondering what they were!! They obviously show where the gravel shelf runs into the river!! Apart from that little episode, the run through was very easy.

Don't forget when going downriver to keep the red 'buckets on poles' on your RIGHT and the green ones on your LEFT.

I remember which way round it is by them being the 'right way round' for boats coming upriver being more likely to be unfamiliar with the river.

There are one or two bends where they are improbably far out into the river.

I generally kept the middle, didn't cut corners, and heeded the two 'sunken island' signs,

Are there signs to warn you of unseen hazards on the river trent and direction signs telling which way to go ? huh.png

I haven't used this stretch of river since July 2013, but back then, and for many years previously, there had been some signage to assist pleasure craft, but on only three of the worst of the numerous boat 'parking' spots.

The deepwater channel does follow an odd line in many places, but there were warning boards up and downriver of Normanton Island [submerged training wall, with sometimes just a few inches of water over it, smack in the middle of the river in the long bight just about half a mile below Girton Wharf], a couple more boards either end of Scotchman's Shoal [roughly halfway between Fledborough railway bridge and Dunham Dubs], and a couple of posts to line up with down Marton Rack.

Apart from those three places, there weren't any other markings on the river itself, but I'm told that the Trent Boating Association charts are pretty good, with a line to follow marked on them all the way from Cromwell to Trent End

Edited by Tony Dunkley

tidaltrent

Here is a chart that is referred to elsewhere in the forum. I found it very useful when trying to understand how the tides wok on the Trent.

I can also confirm that the Trent Boating Association charts are very good at showing you how to avoid the various obstacles and hazards.

We did West Stockwith to Torksey a few weeks ago and found the charts very good. Well worth investing in. The kilometre posts which go as far downstream as Gainsborough bridge were also a useful means of checking progress - some of them are obscured by trees. Its the fastest I've ever travelled on a narrowboat 2hrs 10mins from leaving the lock to being alongside the pontoons at Torksey.