Crossing the Wash from Boston to the Great Ouse

j04n

Featured Posts

Hi, This is new to me so be gentle! I've read a lot of the threads on here and on other sites with regard to crossing the Wash in canal boats and found them very informative. Although there were a couple of questions which I have not been able to find answers to so I emailed the following to a port authority and was surprised, particularly after reading as much as I have, what the response was. Also shown below;

My email;

Hello,

I am considering cruising my wide beam Ledgard bridge boat from York on the river Ouse down to Boston and across the Wash to the Great Ouse and onto Cambridge in January/ February 2017. Not an ideal time of year I know but we cant choose when we are made redundant.
I have read many detailed blogs about the crossing which are most informative but what I havent been able to find is any information on how much it costs for a pilot to accompany me for the crossing and whether it is considered do able at that time of year with the shortage of daylight?
Response;

Pilotage is not required as navigation is fairly straightforward provided good quality navigation equipment and charts are available, and more importantly up to date.

For us pilotage is only compulsory from the No.1 buoy to Kings Lynn. if over 35m long. The rest of the open Wash and upstream of Kings Lynn is outside of pilotage area.

Our website has up to date chart extracts and full details of all navigation aids in our area, plus a guide for small craft users.

We are aware of people who offer their services to assist leisure users with navigation , but these are not licensed pilots.

I get it from a legal perspective but can anybody answer my questions?

Thanks in anticipation.

We crossed from Boston to Wisbech a few weeks ago. Contact Daryl Hill, who I think is the only pilot around, by emailing washguide@gmail.com

Often he takes boats across in convoy, in which case I expect the fee is shared, but we did it alone. Cost was £190 and worth every penny. An absolutely brilliant and unforgettable experience. I even caught mackerel for dinner.

• Greenie 1

Maybe they were not aware of you being a 'sewer tube', and just considered you a 'sea-worthy widebeam'.

Travelling at that time of year will be a problem and I suggest you discuss with your insurers - also - do you have 'PROPER' navigation lights that comply with the ColRegs ? You will be 'on the sea' with some pretty big boats with only about 7 or 8 hours of anything resembling daylight (assuming it is not raining, snowing or cloudy), its not something I would want to be doing in a canal-boat.

The insurance point is interesting.

When I did the crossing (Kings Lynn to Boston) last year my insurer set quite a long list of conditions -- all of which were sensible (as they reduced risk), and included having a pilot/guide (technically I think Daryl is the latter not the former - the Kings Lynn harbourmaster makes the same point in his reply quoted above) and doing the crossing in moderate wind conditions.

One the way back the insurer used by the other two boats treated the Wash exactly the same as (say) the tidal Trent from Keadby to Torksey, ie an inland connecting tidal waterway. Even when the boaters asked "Have you actually looked at a map?" they got the same reply!

The question that you (implicitly) asked is "Do you as Harbour Authority require me to have a pilot", and the answer is no, for all small craft. That's a different question to the ones you should be asking eg "Would people reccomend me to have a pilot?" or "Do you as my insurers insist I have a pilot?".

My assembled resources are here. There was an interview with Daryl in Canal Boat recently, which stressed the importance of a good supply of bacon butties.

Apart from the weather at that time of year, you will of course (as Alan says) have difficulties finding a date when tide times permit a crossing in daylight. I am sure Daryl would encourage you to go via Wisbech, which is a shorter and easier crossing (but still 9 hours).

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

What are your boat dimensions? Beam, length, air and water draft?

If you fit you may be better doing as Simon has mentioned - Boston to Wisbech, Wisbech to Stanground, Stanground to Denver via the Middle Level through route.

Air Draft needs to be <2.0m more like <1.96m to even consider the middle level link route

You may well struggle to find a weather window where Daryl is willing to take you across in January or February. On top of that with the limited daylight hours you will be doing part of the trip in the dark so will need proper navigation lights fitted to the boat, something narrowboats struggle to achieve.

We have been foiled twice this year with the weather and sea conditions not being suitable for our sea boat to head across the Wash, once in June and once in August.

wow! Thank you all for the quick feedback. Even if its not quite what i wanted to hear...... but expected :D ....... My boats 57ft long, 12ft wide, air draft 7ft 8', draft 2ft so I guess the safe ways out. I do see the daylight/ tides being the biggest limiting factor. Of course weather is top but that can be bad any time of year in the UK as Naughty Cal can vouch for. My boat has navigation lights but no doubt you will tell me they are only valid for rivers. I will contact Daryl and see what he has to say.

Scholar Gypsy - I had already read yours. Thanks for sharing that. Very informative. Thanks to all for your comments. No doubt I will have many more questions over the coming months! :D

Daryll will be happy to take you across at this time of year, he was happy to take me out in to the wash in Feb.

My insurer was also a non-issue, they just asked that I let them know the date of the trip.

Ensure you've got a clean diesel tank or an alternative - such as mounting a temporary additional one

• Greenie 1

Yes, afraid you are too big for the ML - Stanground width is quoted as 11'6". Good luck! Maybe you could find a small coaster to take you from one to the other. I know this ship visits Kings Lynn from time to time ...

dscf7614.jpg

lol! they could put mine in there!

Does everybody blank off sink outlets and fit snorkels to their engine vents?

Maybe they were not aware of you being a 'sewer tube', and just considered you a 'sea-worthy widebeam'.

Travelling at that time of year will be a problem and I suggest you discuss with your insurers - also - do you have 'PROPER' navigation lights that comply with the ColRegs ? You will be 'on the sea' with some pretty big boats with only about 7 or 8 hours of anything resembling daylight (assuming it is not raining, snowing or cloudy), its not something I would want to be doing in a canal-boat.

lol! 'sewer tube' ....... thats a new one! :'D

no, just intended spending 1,2,3 weeks drinking ...... I mean cruising around then returning North.

You could well end up spending 1, 2, 3 weeks waiting in Boston for your weather window rolleyes.gif

We have spent more days then I care to remember this year in Boston waiting for the weather blink.png

no, just intended spending 1,2,3 weeks drinking ...... I mean cruising around then returning North.

yeh, but it would not be as much fun!

Have a look at the mooring restrictions that are being considered for Cambridge, they are almost identical to those in place in Ely.

You will have to Google if I'm afraid, picking my little un up so no time to faff about posting links.

You could well end up spending 1, 2, 3 weeks waiting in Boston for your weather window :rolleyes:

We have spent more days then I care to remember this year in Boston waiting for the weather :blink:

I appreciate that Cal. That's why I'm giving myself 2 to 3 months just to potter about. If Cambridge isn't on ill just Potter around elsewhere but would like to give it a go. Anyway I've messages Daryl so let's see what he says.Although I'm sure he can't control the weather.

Have a look at the mooring restrictions that are being considered for Cambridge, they are almost identical to those in place in Ely.

You will have to Google if I'm afraid, picking my little un up so no time to faff about posting links.

Was going to join that club. Only £20 for the year which allows you to use all their mooring sites. Forget what it's called but have the details.

I appreciate that Cal. That's why I'm giving myself 2 to 3 months just to potter about. If Cambridge isn't on ill just Potter around elsewhere but would like to give it a go. Anyway I've messages Daryl so let's see what he says.Although I'm sure he can't control the weather.

Was going to join that club. Only £20 for the year which allows you to use all their mooring sites. Forget what it's called but have the details.

Goba.

There is no longer a mooring on the Cam, they will get arsey if you stay more than 48 hours on one. They will notice....

Most of the GOBA moorings are fairly rural, you will be in for a bit of a shock if you try to CC in the conventional manor.

There are no EA or GOBA sites greater stay than 48 hours anywhere on the Ouse.

Goba.

There is no longer a mooring on the Cam, they will get arsey if you stay more than 48 hours on one. They will notice....

Most of the GOBA moorings are fairly rural, you will be in for a bit of a shock if you try to CC in the conventional manor.

There are no EA or GOBA sites greater stay than 48 hours anywhere on the Ouse.

Pedant alert: I am pretty sure the GOBA mooring at Waterbeach is still there. Easy train ride to Cambridge. A rather complex position as to whether you need a Cam Conservators licence or not (but it is cheap).

On the other hand, there is a lot to explore on the Great Ouse network - with luck the Bedford to Earith section will not flood, as the navigation then closes. (Make sure you subscribe to the email/text alert system).

• Greenie 1

Pedant alert: I am pretty sure the GOBA mooring at Waterbeach is still there. Easy train ride to Cambridge. A rather complex position as to whether you need a Cam Conservators licence or not (but it is cheap).

On the other hand, there is a lot to explore on the Great Ouse network - with luck the Bedford to Earith section will not flood, as the navigation then closes. (Make sure you subscribe to the email/text alert system).

I'd forgotten about that, so seldom do I have the urge to go down the Cam!

Buy your Cam extension from the EA when you buy your licence, they'll sell you an extension licence at the cost of a % of a visitor licence, rather than a % of an annual one.

Much cheaper!

There is still a GOBA mooring at Waterbeach, and a very nice mooring it is too, even if it is a bit shallow.

Buy your Cam extension from the EA when you buy your licence, they'll sell you an extension licence at the cost of a % of a visitor licence, rather than a % of an annual one.

Much cheaper!

There is still a GOBA mooring at Waterbeach, and a very nice mooring it is too, even if it is a bit shallow.

Thanks for that! Always keen to save a few quid!