Water tank screws

Richie_24

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with getting these screws off my water tank cover.

I'm new to boating and want to clean out and re-paint the water tank to get rid of the rusty water, however there are 3 different types of screws holding the water tank cover one and I can't get most of them off!

These are the culprits below (assuming the hosting site works!) What type of screws are they? and what is the correct tool to use to get them off? I have been using mole grips as a last desperate measure with no success.

DSC_0063_1.jpgimage hosting no account

DSC_0064_1.jpgimage url upload

Thanks for reading :)

They look like roofing bolts. Best bet is probably drill or angle grinder to take the heads off, and once top is off tank, mole grips on shank, along with easing oil and possibly heat.

e.t.a. cross post with Tony

Edited by Iain_S

Use a slitting disc in an angle grinder to deepen a slot for a suitable screwdriver.

Sombody in the past has used cheap and nasty screws. when you manage to get them out use Stainless steel button head socket screws

A4 stainless preferably. Edited by nb Innisfree

Welcome to the Forum.

Angle grinder, don't forget the gloves and safety specs!

remove the shank when the cover is off. Use new brass screws on refitting.

HTH

Trouble with brass is its not very strong at all and those bolts need to be done up quite tight. Stainless is a better way to go. Some people worry about corrosion type things when using stainless bolts in mild steel but unless you plan a big lot of salt water boating it will be fine.

..............Dave

I had exactly this problem a couple of months ago. Tried everything and finally bought a manual impact driver https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-427633-Impact-Driver-Bits/dp/B000LFTU1O/ref=sr_1_6?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1473264936&sr=1-6 on Amazon for under £10.

It worked first time as long as you hold it properly. Or maybe you already have an impact drill/driver, which should do the same thing.

Anyway I highly recommend this tool - except I am now looking for more seized screws to justify buying it!!

I had exactly this problem a couple of months ago. Tried everything and finally bought a manual impact driver https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-427633-Impact-Driver-Bits/dp/B000LFTU1O/ref=sr_1_6?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1473264936&sr=1-6 on Amazon for under £10.

I bought one of those about 50 years ago to remove cross-head screws on Japanese motorbikes. Still use it to this day when applicable. Works where an electric impact driver wouldn't sometimes.

Tony

I've had the same problem and found impact drivers will only work some of the time. Just grind the heads off and save the bother. Once the lid is removed the tension is off the remaining threaded bit and will unwind with a pair of mole grips. I replaced mine with button head hex machine screws in stainless.

• Greenie 1

You could probably use a Dremel to carefully grind the bolt head into an oblong with 2 flat sides opposite each other, then use an adjustable spanner (because you'll never get it exactly the right size) to undo them. A normal large screwdriver will almost certainly slip and chew up the head, an impact driver might be okay but might not; cutting more of a slot to give it a better chance is a good idea but it would be easy to go too far then the head will break instead of turn. If there's no danger of it going into the water tank, I'd use penetrating fluid, but I suspect it might end up in the tank.....

As said above, use button head socket screws for replacement.

A nut and bolt removal socket should work if they are big head screws like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-bolt-nut-remover-set-6-pieces/6083D?kpid=KINASEKPID&cm_mmc=GoogleLocal-_-Datafeed-_-Tools&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CMy6tJHi_84CFUVAGwod8WsLVw

Or a screw extractor if small - http://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-extractor-5-piece-set/18643

Looking again those nut/bolt ones are not the ones I was thinking of as the ones I have have a reverse thread - this may be them http://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-emergency-locking-wheel-nut-remover-set-4-pcs/94826

Edited by Robbo