Any moorings around Manchester?

tommyleyland

Featured Posts

Hi all,

So it's coming up to winter and we've decided we want a mooring after cruising for a year and a half (And the CRT breathing down out necks).

Does anyone know of any vacancies around Manchester? Anywhere close to Manchester, Ashton, Hyde, Marple, New Mills, Whaley Bridge, furthest away Macclesfield.

Any information appreciated!

There's always room at Lyme View, Adlington. The owner doesn't seem to be very popular with boaters for one reason and another, perhaps that's why there are spaces. Despite all that it's a really lovely spot and not too expensive, by all accounts. I believe that the service charge on a hook up bumps it up a lot but otherwise, not expensive, compared to others in the area.

There's always room at Lyme View, Adlington. The owner doesn't seem to be very popular with boaters for one reason and another, perhaps that's why there are spaces. Despite all that it's a really lovely spot and not too expensive, by all accounts. I believe that the service charge on a hook up bumps it up a lot but otherwise, not expensive, compared to others in the area.

Its a car park, unless you have a inline mooring its oppressive. Trust me.

Try Furness Vale. Handy for the train to Manchester, a couple of local pubs and not too far to Tescos at Bridgemont and Whalley Bridge

Thanks Captain but it's a bit too far out for us.

We tried Lyme View and they do have spaces but it also seems a bit of a way out, and a bit "holiday park" if that makes sense. The spot is absolutely beautiful though.

I've tried everywhere else around and they're full up.

OK I'll take your word for it. Wouldn't that apply equally to any offline marina though, or is there something especially bad about Lyme View?

Some Marina's are set out better than others.

Lyme View is a nice area, but the entrance is extremely narrow especially in the wind.

Its just my opinion and a few people ive spoken too.

Some Marina's are set out better than others.

Lyme View is a nice area, but the entrance is extremely narrow especially in the wind.

Its just my opinion and a few people ive spoken too.

I know what you mean about the entrances. The one to the north especially really is a wind magnet, I've seen a few boats struggle with it. There again, most of the boats in there rarely seem to move!

That seems to be true even in the peak of summer, their are some really nice boaters moored online though. (That would be a nice place to Moor Up) :-)

I know, I spent 2 weeks moored opposite last winter. One nice couple moored opposite act as unofficial police for CRT though, reporting boats that overstay on what is 48 hours max during the summer. They seemed quite disappointed when they told me I was now allowed 2 weeks!

• 3 weeks later...

New Islington in the centre of Manchester will have space for you, even if you're just outside the entrance....it's all a bit of a building site at the moment, but prices are good and security issues have drastically reduced, unless you leave a bike on your roof...elsan, water point etc. It gets very quiet over winter...not so much in the summer holidays.

New Islington in the centre of Manchester will have space for you, even if you're just outside the entrance....it's all a bit of a building site at the moment, but prices are good and security issues have drastically reduced, unless you leave a bike on your roof...elsan, water point etc. It gets very quiet over winter...not so much in the summer holidays.

I have been trying to get a mooring at New Islington since January and have been told they are full and not even adding to the waiting list so I would be surprised if someone else managed to get straight in.