Drinking and boating

dogless

Featured Posts

Jane and I enjoy various alcoholic beverages, and have been known to partake liberally :).

However, as a general rule we do not drink alcohol until we've moored up for the day. We'd never really discussed this, it just happens that way. I think it may be because we'd both rather sit down and enjoy the drink when the 'work' is done.

As a result of recent events we were chatting about this, and noticed quite a few boats passing where people are obviously drinking (at that time, I've no idea how much obviously).

I wondered what other members thoughts on the matter were.

Rog

Without a doubt alcohol does negative stuff to your abilities. Hopefully nobody is going to argue that point. Personally, I have had my share over the years although age (and recovery rates) have tempered my drinking a bit. I do not drink when moving along the canal. My reason being that it would hurt (a lot) to fall off a lock gate onto a cill.

I used to reverse my car onto my drive. Something that I had done daily for years. I had a single G&T at 7.00 pm and at 8.30 pm took 4 attempts to reverse onto my drive (and still hit the wing mirror). Lesson learned, no drinking and driving. I see no difference when on the canal.

Cruising juice . . .swmba and I are discussing as I write. Checks and balances, limits, ability. Runnin' the gunwales during the middle of winter heavy on the grog can never be a good idea. A hip flask with the stove on, cannot be seen as sin. Captains hat with four wife beaters for breakfast never works, a glass of red on a summit pound in summer, bliss

Cheers

Never drank alchol, or was happy with any of the crew imbibing when sailing off shore, unless in port. (No intended pun)

I do have one small glass of wine when pottering along after 2:00pm on our boat though.

Partly as the glass stays where you put it on the slide of a narrow boat, unlike a yacht.............If you get my drift (Pun intended) cheers.gifboat.gif

Edited by Ray T

Jane and I enjoy various alcoholic beverages, and have been known to partake liberally smile.png.

However, as a general rule we do not drink alcohol until we've moored up for the day. We'd never really discussed this, it just happens that way. I think it may be because we'd both rather sit down and enjoy the drink when the 'work' is done.

As a result of recent events we were chatting about this, and noticed quite a few boats passing where people are obviously drinking (at that time, I've no idea how much obviously).

I wondered what other members thoughts on the matter were.

Rog

I agree although neither my wife or I are big drinkers anyway. I never drink alcohol when using the boat. When it comes to safety and ability alcohol never helps for sure.

I would rather enjoy a class of something in the evening when moored up.

I don't wish to be judgemental about other peoples choices as long as what they do does not adversely effect me or others folk can do what they like but I am weary of sharing locking with people who have been or are drinking alcohol. We have had a bad experience in the past doing this.

• Greenie 1

I can't help thinking that the sort of stumbles and fumbles that might leave you with a stubbed toe or a dropped phone on dry land suddenly become a lot more risky when you're operating a lock or stepping off a boat. But it's easy for me to weigh the risks against the rewards and come down on the side of not drinking, because I don't like the stuff anyway!

• Greenie 1

I reckon an experienced and sensible boater with a few pints inside him is still a lot safer than an inexperienced boater in a big hurry, its all a matter of degree and common sense. Couple of weeks ago we came down the Caldon, stopped in Stoke late afternoon and had a good few pints in the Holy Inadequate, then did a late evening cruise up to the Harecastle tunnel entrance. Very quiet canal at that time of day and no locks. Going through the industrial decay of Stokes potteries in the sunset was one of the nicest cruises this year.

........Dave

• Greenie 1

I reckon an experienced and sensible boater with a few pints inside him is still a lot safer than an inexperienced boater in a big hurry, its all a matter of degree and common sense. Couple of weeks ago we came down the Caldon, stopped in Stoke late afternoon and had a good few pints in the Holy Inadequate, then did a late evening cruise up to the Harecastle tunnel entrance. Very quiet canal at that time of day and no locks. Going through the industrial decay of Stokes potteries in the sunset was one of the nicest cruises this year.

........Dave

Some would say exactly the same in regard to drinking and driving.

The problem with alcohol is that it creates an illusion that you are safe to boat/drive but in fact you are less likely to be.

That said we would often crack open a bottle of wine(Tim and Prue style) if pootlong along at a gentle pace but generally wouldn't if we were on the rivers or the commercial waterways.

As the saying goes 'everything in moderation'.

Edited by MJG

Maybe because of the day job I never feel like a drink till the evening anyhow....so I never drink until we are moored up...well tea is allowed!

The way I look at it is this.....if something happened and I had a drink then I would always wonder if I could have coped better if I hadn't had a drink...or it might not have happened at all.

Seeing someone with a can of Stella the other day at 10am and having to share a lock with them did nothing to dispel this myth....thanfully they tied up and we carried on.

I'm all for a beer but it's after any work and work in this case includes navigating a boat.

Cheers

Gareth

If boating alone in inclement weather I will put the hip flask in my pocket. I may also have a pint with lunch if stopping or maybe a very swift half at a lockside pub when passing through on a warm afternoon. When simply cruising I don't see it as much of an issue but I wouldn't want to be working locks if I can feel I have been drinking. Firstly I would find it uncomfortable to work the boat on anything other than singular amounts of alcohol leaving aside the safety aspect. It's more rewarding to have a decent drink after the day's boating is finished.

JP

especially moderation

Some would say exactly the same in regard to drinking and driving.

The problem with alcohol is that it creates an illusion that you are safe to boat/drive but in fact you are less likely to be.

That said we would often crack open a bottle of wine(Tim and Prue style) if pootlong along at a gentle pace but generally wouldn't if we were on the rivers or the commercial waterways.

As the saying goes 'everything in moderation'.

especially moderation!

I would drink a glass of wine or a GT, but only on familiar waters and not if locking.

Section 80 of the Railways and Transport Safety Act 2003 has still not been enacted. Local bye-laws might be enforced but you would have to appear drunk before anyone would test you.

In these few post there have been put forward all the arguments that were made against the bringing in of the breathalyser laws. Ask any well qualified medic what the effect of 0.04 of a pint of alcohol is on the body and brain. I am not going to detail it because I suspect even those saying drinking alcohol and navigating a boat is perfectly OK, actually know how much it slows down reactions etc. Someone even mentioned the effect of 1 G&T had on the ability to control a car at slow speed, less than 4 mph I would guess.

Please think about others if you won't think about yourselves and don't drink alcohol while navigation.

ETA missing words

Edited by Geo
  • Greenie 1

In these few post there have been put forward all the arguments that were made against the bringing in of the breathalyser laws. Ask any well qualified medic what the effect of 0.04 of a pint of alcohol is on the body and brain. I am not going to detail it because I suspect even those saying drinking alcohol and navigating a boat is perfectly OK, actually know how much it slows down reactions etc. Someone even mentioned the effect of 1 G&T had on the ability to control a car at slow speed, less than 4 mph I would guess.

Please think about others if you won't think about yourselves and don't drink alcohol while navigation.

ETA missing words

Sorry but this a rather 'holier than though' statement.

Hurtling along the M1 is a rather different scenario than pootling along the North Oxford at walking pace.

Any consequences of having a couple of glasses of wine are much more likely to impact on the person enjoying a glass of Merlot in the late evening sun than they are on anybody else.

Sorry but this a rather 'holier than though' statement.

Hurtling along the M1 is a rather different scenario than pootling along the North Oxford at walking pace.

Any consequences of having a couple of glasses of wine are much more likely to impact on the person enjoying a glass of Merlot in the late evening sun than they are on anybody else.

I am sorry that you consider the post to be 'holier than thou' it is not.

You talk about pootling along the North Oxford at walking pace.

Without a doubt alcohol does negative stuff to your abilities. Hopefully nobody is going to argue that point. Personally, I have had my share over the years although age (and recovery rates) have tempered my drinking a bit. I do not drink when moving along the canal. My reason being that it would hurt (a lot) to fall off a lock gate onto a cill.

I used to reverse my car onto my drive. Something that I had done daily for years. I had a single G&T at 7.00 pm and at 8.30 pm took 4 attempts to reverse onto my drive (and still hit the wing mirror). Lesson learned, no drinking and driving. I see no difference when on the canal.

Perhap's Keith's post might make the point about pootling in a car trying to get it onto his drive way.

I can probably give you many stories about alcohol, driving, sailing etc but suffice to say eventually they all end up badly for someone. Frequently not the partaker of alcohol but others who have to restore things.

Edited by Geo

In these few post there have been put forward all the arguments that were made against the bringing in of the breathalyser laws. Ask any well qualified medic what the effect of 0.04 of a pint of alcohol is on the body and brain. .

ETA missing words

This is equivalent to a pint 4% beer, which might take you to the legal limit for driving. It's 2.3 units. The UK government has resisted demands to lower the limit because EVIDENCE shows that, at lower limits, the increase in risk is tiny.

I compare this to the argument that older drivers (70+) should be banned. To reduce the risk for younger drivers to the same degree, we would have to ban drivers under 25! Fact.

Edited by mross

ETA missing words

That can't go unquoted.

Please mind your own business, unless and until those of us who do like a beer do something illegal or dangerous.

:cheers:

• Greenie 1

Alcohol has different effects on different people.

My mother could hardly operate a knife and fork after a home made snowball but others can drink a glass of wine or two with no ill effects.

Drinking and single handing seems a recipe for disaster as does drinking and operating the Wolverhampton 21 for example.

The odd can or glass of wine whilst on the move with a fully crewed boat is hardly the same