Morso Squirrel Stove

Johny London

Featured Posts

Thank you - I have read it & don't fully understand the justification.

With a single skin flue the air cools as it rises (hence the formation of clouds), however due to the high temperature in the flue compared to the 'outside' temperature, even when cooled considerably by giving off some of its heat to the flue (and hence to the boat) the temperature differential is still high enough that the 'hot air' continues to rise without needing 'more air to push it up the flue'.

I would have thought that the greater external / internal temperature differential of the twin flu system would have meant that the air was rising faster and therefore a greater volume of air was being 'lost' (used).

The higher the temperature difference, the faster the air rises and the more air 'rushes in' to replace it.

(Notice the wind speed increase as a thermal passes over)

I will do some more reading on the subject.

As an aside (as you may recall) we own a static caravan park, several of the 'van owners' have asked if they can have SF fires fitted. We sourced a SF Stove fitter for them and without fail he fitted single skin flues in each 'van' arguing (as I did) about heat loss 'up the chimney'

The point is that the vent will be closed more so although the maximum possible "draw" is certainly greater, it can be controlled down more to a lower flow. If the hot gasses sit in the chimney, they "pull a partial vacuum" even if the flow is near- zero. Anyway as I said for me the proof was in the eating. Plus in a boat with a short flue getting a good draw that you can then restrict at source is surely a good thing.

As to your "professional" I expect he applied the same common sense as you did but in this case, common sense doesn't work! He won't have compared a double skin installation with a single one under the same circumstances - he will fit them and then walk away.

I guess it all depends on how much heat you want. If the fire makes the boat too hot and you swap to a double skin flue allowing you to burn fuel at a lower rate whilst still keeping the boat warm then you will save. If the stove is a bit undersized then you will need the extra heat from the single flue.

• 1 month later...

I've posted in another thread about the ins and outs of my install (which is done now) so won't repeat here. But - I can report that the Morso 1430 Squirrel is working very nicely with its Morso flue kit. (bit expensive that kit!). The burn is mellow, clean. Not too whooshy with the air open, not prone to dying off too much when closed. I tend to keep the airwash open though. All in all very good - thankfully just in the nick of time!

I'd always go with the twin wall I think - it would be too easy for someone to burn themselves otherwise.

If you was fitting out a new boat, I was under the inpresion you had to install a twin wall flue

Do you have to install a twin wall flue For boat Safty cert?

No. Just another modern bit of nanny state overkill.

Tim