Sorry, but washing machines... again.

trundler

Featured Posts

Hello,

We have changed our boat for a liveaboard boat. It came with a huge old Servis washer/dryer( a monster). We have a 3.0kw Inverter. When cruising it knocks the inverter out, and I believe this is when the heater element comes on. We have tried both cold wash settings. These are ok, but they do not wash, as such, as they are for delicates and wool. No good for our dusty boaty duds. The clothes just soak, without any tumbling about.

So, a new washing machine is needed.

We have room for a full size machine.

Please can anyone tell me what to look for on the spec ?. e.g. do I look firstly at the Kw. power it uses and the water usage ? So that the inverter does not get knocked out, do I look for a cold wash programme per se ?

Thanking you , in advance, if you are able to give advice. I am not sure that the Man from Curry's would be familiar with power conserving on a narrowboat !

Jenny

There's a THREE-page spread in October's WW all about laundry afloat. Well worth a read I imagine (my copy only came in the post today and I've not time to read it yet, but I did check the contents!)

Wot we do.

Fill the washer with hot water from the 'cauliflower' (thanks miss max) whilst it's taking cold at the same time. The heater doesn't come on. Hey presto.

Likewise, saves endless battery charging.

Works for me, I run the alde heater for about 15 minutes before starting the washer, this is enough to heat the tank, then put it on a 15 minute wash and leave the ale running.

As I live alone I only really wash once, maybe twice a week, any bed sheets or heavy stuff like bath robe and hoodies I take to my other half house once a week to wash proper.

This is a topic I see very often on boat/caravan/motorhome forums and I don't know why people haven't tried to convert a cold fill.

If the element was disconnected and its feed run to a solenoid controlled mixer valve then when the 'element' was switched on the valve would deliver hot water and when switched off it would deliver cold. What am I missing?

This is a topic I see very often on boat/caravan/motorhome forums and I don't know why people haven't tried to convert a cold fill.

If the element was disconnected and its feed run to a solenoid controlled mixer valve then when the 'element' was switched on the valve would deliver hot water and when switched off it would deliver cold. What am I missing?

Does the element get powered before it fills? I very much doubt it. So it would fill with cold water then switch on the solenoid for the rest of eternity waiting for the cold water to heat up.