Oven & Hob - 500mm/600mm boat/domestic?

Johny London

Featured Posts

I suspect tiles or metal would merely cover up the charring of the lining behind them you really need an air gap between the flame protector and the wood so your 51 cm gets even smaller. Remember if you are mounting it on the side of the boat you need to consider tumblehome, if you have a 2cm high grid and then a 12cm high pan, the top still needs to be clear of the side, so the base has to be several cm from the wall.

Yes, I guess we are back to the thing with stoves. In that instance I cut out the side wall and replaced with tiles and fireboard - it saved a few cm and unquestionably has a good air gap behind. I could do the same again but would prefer not to - I've found a possible smaller hob...

https://www.jsi-uk.com/hobs/jsi-uk-hgg4110-03a-30cm-glass-gas-front-control-domino-hob-natural-gas-and-lpg

It is 450x520 mm so if fitted the right way around would leave a bit of a gap - though annoyingly it won't match a 500mm or 600mm oven unit of course!

What do you think of this hob Detling?

Thanks for taking a look. I checked the manufacturers website and it says everything they make has ffd. As for the 240v, well it looks like I'll be aiming to have my Victron3000 on all day everyday, turning it off at night once I have a 12v fridge. I know it's not impossible to get most things on 12v but it sure is a headache and quite limiting. I've now got tv, youview box, radio, microwave ad prolly one or two other things all on 240v.

What does the bss say or look for where hobs are concerned? Is it visible scorching? Complying with the manufacturers instructions or what?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great topic as I'm in the early stages of desiging my live aboard wide beam.

I'm a keen cook and also like a back up plan and am seriously considering a Rangemaster 100mm wide oven.

The model I'm looking at has one large gas oven and one tall smaller electric oven which runs off a 13amp plug so will be 2kw. (Genset onboard)

If I have a issue with the gas oven or be a real numpty and run out of gas, at least I can cook in the electric oven.....if I run out gas, I'm aware I wont be able to use the gas hob and will resort to the multifuel stove!

I've used the Belling ovens on hire boats and they're ok and cooked roast dinners and other decent meals in them...but for me personally, I'd prefer a larger double oven and a 5 ring gas hob.

Edited by metal_snapper

We're very happy with our new world oven and hob in stainless steel. It does need 240v though for the fan and ignition, but it's a domestic one and is much better than the caravan type ones for our needs. Runs fine off our victron or the travel power . Has ffd on all burners.

Iirc New World are based in Merseyside.

It's been used daily for over 4 years and is still going strong....

HTH ..

Edited by Stormbringer

This is a great topic as I'm in the early stages of desiging my live aboard wide beam.

I'm a keen cook and also like a back up plan and am seriously considering a Rangemaster 100mm wide oven.

The model I'm looking at has one large gas oven and one tall smaller electric oven which runs off a 13amp plug so will be 2kw. (Genset onboard)

If I have a issue with the gas oven or be a real numpty and run out of gas, at least I can cook in the electric oven.....if I run out gas, I'm aware I wont be able to use the gas hob and will resort to the multifuel stove!

I've used the Belling ovens on hire boats and they're ok and cooked roast dinners and other decent meals in them...but for me personally, I'd prefer a larger double oven and a 5 ring gas hob.

Just a couple of points :

100mm wide - my little camping cooker is bigger then that !!

A 13 amp plug is NOT 2Kw (it is over 3Kw at 240v) and I think you will find that most / many electric ovens are over 2kw. We have a very small 'pie reheating' oven. (Its about 8" high and 12" wide and useful for doing frozen pizza, heating pies etc) and that is 1400w

A 'typical electric oven' is rated at around 3Kw

If you have (for example) your battery charger on at the same time you could well be nearer 4Kw-4.5Kw.

Do not underestimate your electrical usage - you will never again get the chance to do the'1st fit out', and its easier to get it 'right' 1st time than to try and retrofit stuff because you got-it-wrong.

Do you have a portable 'suitcase' generator, or, a 'proper' installed option ?

Example of a typical cooker - I could not find the wattage on the Rangemaster website.

http://www.johnlewis.com/bosch-hba13b150b-single-electric-oven-brushed-stainless-steel/p231670208?sku=231670208&s_kwcid=2dx92700016581950770&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CjwKEAiAtefDBRDTnbDnvM735xISJABlvGOv6v2FX0t1el3FWnFkuY6TtSjABkt4DzSCwpfE2napURoCyobw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.

ds)

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

We're very happy with our new world oven and hob in stainless steel. It does need 240v though for the fan and ignition, but it's a domestic one and is much better than the caravan type ones for our needs. Runs fine off our victron or the travel power . Has ffd on all burners.

Iirc New World are based in Merseyside.

It's been used daily for over 4 years and is still going strong....

HTH ..

Which model new world do you have? I've been looking at the nw701g or 901g - preferably without led display as one less thing to worry about. I got the manual but wasn't quite clear if it was lpg compatible or not.

Obviously metal snapper meant 1000mm - and to that end, I would think that if he is fitting out a wide beam there won't be any issues with using domestic appliances - at least not space wise and meeting any relevant installation requirements re gaps/air etc. Of course still the 240v issues potentially.

Personally I've come to the conclusion that I will have the inverter on all day but hopefully switch off when I go to bed. On that basis a 240v oven and or hob (for ignition and fan NOT cooking power!) won't be too much of a hassle.

Funny how similar the new world ovens look to the latest 500mm spinflos.

It would help to know which Rangemaster cooker we're talking about. Most of them are available in 90, 100, and 110 cm widths and several have tall thin electric ovens but every one I've looked at uses somewhere between 7kW and 8kW.

Thanks for taking a look. I checked the manufacturers website and it says everything they make has ffd. As for the 240v, well it looks like I'll be aiming to have my Victron3000 on all day everyday, turning it off at night once I have a 12v fridge. I know it's not impossible to get most things on 12v but it sure is a headache and quite limiting. I've now got tv, youview box, radio, microwave ad prolly one or two other things all on 240v.

What does the bss say or look for where hobs are concerned? Is it visible scorching? Complying with the manufacturers instructions or what?

Compared with the rest of the electricity you are planning to use the inverter usage overnight will be quite insignificant, other may find it a greater factoe, so you may just as well leave it on and buy a A++ 340 volt fridge.

With regards to BSS and RCD lots of things will pass a BSS that don't comply with the RCD so you need to do a lot of homework if you plan to build a RCD compliant boat. This may include not using a domestic cooker, you may need to use something that states its suitable for a boat. I don't know the answer, but you will need to.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your kind pearls of wisdom here and yes I've just seen my embarassing type o.......I meant of course 1mtr wide or 100cm to move a decimal point. ☺️

The total load electric wise on the Rangemaster is 2.6kw so 10.8amps, thats with the electric side of the oven on, the main oven will be gas as will the hob section.

The genset will be a proper installed one and my electrical demand will be correct as I really dont want to screw that up and as you quite rightly say, I'll be doing this only once as it will be my full time home and it will be a 24v system.

There will be solar as well to assist with keeping the batteries topped up.

It's literally in the early stages of design.....but for me personally, the galley needs to be half decent as I spend a fair bit of time there.

Just a couple of points :

100mm wide - my little camping cooker is bigger then that !!

A 13 amp plug is NOT 2Kw (it is over 3Kw at 240v) and I think you will find that most / many electric ovens are over 2kw. We have a very small 'pie reheating' oven. (Its about 8" high and 12" wide and useful for doing frozen pizza, heating pies etc) and that is 1400w

A 'typical electric oven' is rated at around 3Kw

If you have (for example) your battery charger on at the same time you could well be nearer 4Kw-4.5Kw.

Do not underestimate your electrical usage - you will never again get the chance to do the'1st fit out', and its easier to get it 'right' 1st time than to try and retrofit stuff because you got-it-wrong.

Do you have a portable 'suitcase' generator, or, a 'proper' installed option ?

Example of a typical cooker - I could not find the wattage on the Rangemaster website.

http://www.johnlewis.com/bosch-hba13b150b-single-electric-oven-brushed-stainless-steel/p231670208?sku=231670208&s_kwcid=2dx92700016581950770&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CjwKEAiAtefDBRDTnbDnvM735xISJABlvGOv6v2FX0t1el3FWnFkuY6TtSjABkt4DzSCwpfE2napURoCyobw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.

ds)

Hi WotEver,

It's one of the full gas versions which is 100cm wide and has a gas main oven, gas hob and tall electric oven and uses 2.6kw.

Many thanks.

It would help to know which Rangemaster cooker we're talking about. Most of them are available in 90, 100, and 110 cm widths and several have tall thin electric ovens but every one I've looked at uses somewhere between 7kW and 8kW.

• 1 month later...

In case anyone is interested - I have now installed the three burner gas hob I mentioned above - it does have ffd and is lpg convertible, supplied with the jets and hose connection adapter. Underneath that, I have fitted the Belling twin cavity oven - which is LPG only. They make many NG ones that look the same but are not convertible, I believe due to having fixed jet assemblies rather than removable nozzles, (but I'm not 100% sure about that). One cavity is an oven, one just a grill, it's a 600mm unit and doesn't have any digital display gubbins - a definite plus.

Both items are 240v ignition, and the oven needs 240v for fan and light. I'm happy enough like that as these two make quite a nice pair and fit my slightly narrow worktops.

Next step will be to get my head around gas bottles, regulators and piping - I may get the bottles and regs, run the pipe then get a gas man to connect and test - not sure yet. But I can practically smell that roast chicken :)

• Greenie 1