Manchester Moorings

Tony A

Featured Posts

I've never had any issues at Dukinfield or the country park before that and it's a day down to Castlefield. There's also safe moorings above the Rochdale 9 on pontoons (but no access to the towpath last time I looked) Others may be able to help with advice for access to the Thomas Telford basin. Castelfield is fine but restricted now you only get 7 days on the Bridgewater.

There is no problem with access to Thomas Telford basin. The main issue is you need one of the locals to give you the gate access number to get in and out on foot.

There are some rings on the main line close to The Thomas Telford Basin and I wouldn't expect any trouble there. The Ashton Canal is a much more pleasant experience than it was 15 - 20 years ago. It's reputation should be consigned to the history books in my opinion.

The area under Piccadilly railway station is a different matter. One of the most unpleasant canal experiences you are ever likely to have. A peg on your nose is highly recommended.

There is no problem with access to Thomas Telford basin. The main issue is you need one of the locals to give you the gate access number to get in and out on foot.

There are some rings on the main line close to The Thomas Telford Basin and I wouldn't expect any trouble there. The Ashton Canal is a much more pleasant experience than it was 15 - 20 years ago. It's reputation should be consigned to the history books in my opinion.

The area under Piccadilly railway station is a different matter. One of the most unpleasant canal experiences you are ever likely to have. A peg on your nose is highly recommended.

I'd agree with all of this. Telford basin is a great stopping off place -- and when we stopped there, one of the residents came and told us the gate code, without us even asking.

It isn't under the railway station, but I agree completely with the rest of your post.

I was born at the side of the Rochdale 9 ,(in a hospital, not on the towpath) and have lived and worked in the area all my life.

Manchester City Council and Greater Manchester Police should be ashamed of themselves for tacitly allowing the "goings on " in that subterranean hell hole. Canal & River Trust do their best to try and keep it tidy but are not supported by the aforementioned authorities.

Having said that, you are unlikely to come to any harm, boating through there- it is the sights and smells which are offensive.

Bill

It isn't under the railway station, but I agree completely with the rest of your post.

I was born at the side of the Rochdale 9 ,(in a hospital, not on the towpath) and have lived and worked in the area all my life.

Manchester City Council and Greater Manchester Police should be ashamed of themselves for tacitly allowing the "goings on " in that subterranean hell hole. Canal & River Trust do their best to try and keep it tidy but are not supported by the aforementioned authorities.

Having said that, you are unlikely to come to any harm, boating through there- it is the sights and smells which are offensive.

Bill

There's a sign on one of the wall with words to the effect "lewd or indecent behaviour MAY result in prosecution"

I know it isn't directly under the station but it is the nearest significant landmark

I used the visitor moorings at New Islington last week, peaceful, good facilities in utility block.

You must have arrived just after we left.

We have moored at Piccadilly, just above the top lock of the 9 several times with no problems. About the same time to walk to the city shops as from Castlefield.

Wouldn't stop in New Islington, but mostly due to experiencing the joys of the marina when we started boating 5! years ago. Probably moored in worse places. Telford basin is ok, and there's plenty above and below the lock in Castlefield. Not sure how much fun the enforcement is in Castlefield this year as we went up the Huddersfield instead.

Bill

Agree totally about that lock - littered with scores of needles and syringes when we went through this week. And a couple of blokes either dealing drugs or one about to take part in one of the 'lewd acts' warned off on the police poster there.

Isn't the simple solution to lock the towpath to all but boaters? It doesn't go anywhere after all.

It seems a shame that about four spaces on the Coal Wharf at Castlefield have been made private moorings. Some of the remaining spaces are on the curved sections and that isn't as convenient. It is possible to find spaces though on the Potato Wharf side. Castlefield is fine and a safe place to stop. Its a great pity that the graffiti on the Bridgewater approaches from Old Trafford grounds past Salford Quays and Pomona Lock has got worse and worse. I feel the Salford councillors could usefully wander that towpath in pairs in the evenings and see it for themselves. They should then push really hard for funds to clean it off. It is letting the city down.

It makes the canal through Nuneaton look positively charming in comparison!

Edited by Peter-Bullfinch

I used the visitor moorings at New Islington last week, peaceful, good facilities in utility block.

Did the same in the Spring last year and it was fine - and not much of a walk to The Crown & Kettle on the corner of Gt Ancoats Street and Oldham Road. A real treat if proper beer or proper cider is your want.

Feast your eyes on the interior - if you earn your living plastering ceilings it's a must!

James

It seems a shame that about four spaces on the Coal Wharf at Castlefield have been made private moorings. Some of the remaining spaces are on the curved sections and that isn't as convenient. It is possible to find spaces though on the Potato Wharf side. Castlefield is fine and a safe place to stop. Its a great pity that the graffiti on the Bridgewater approaches from Old Trafford grounds past Salford Quays and Pomona Lock has got worse and worse. I feel the Salford councillors could usefully wander that towpath in pairs in the evenings and see it for themselves. They should then push really hard for funds to clean it off. It is letting the city down.

It makes the canal through Nuneaton look positively charming in comparison!

I think it's more like 8 spaces let off to permanent moorers. Edited by pearley

Manchester is awesome. If you arrive via the Bridgewater, you'd have miles of no locks. Going up the Rochdale 9 is an experience...I did it last week....if you do it on a Sat morning, you'll have loads of gongoozlers at the first lock...and you have to wait till the water is pouring over the top gates before they'll move. At the top of the flight you can turn right onto the Ashton, or keep going 2 locks up the Rochdale to New Islington. A lot of building work going on so bang bang bang all day and night...but a lot safer now than in the past......and if you keep going up the Rochdale, you eventually hit rural England...and the Pennines...awesome.

• Greenie 1