My widebeam house boat refurbishment project

Featured Posts

Boat is back in the water now had a few leaks on the bottom weld of the plating which have now hopefully been sorted. We have broken out some high areas of concrete and screened it flat. Now we are insulating with 25mm celotex and using 18mm tongue and groove chipboard for the subfloor. with pu glue on the battens and and tongues to eliminate sqweeks..

Subfloor...

post-27074-0-87845000-1487357082_thumb.jpg

You can buy chipboard flooring intended for high moisture areas like bathrooms, perhaps this is that type?

I used that in our conservatory and it was blue. Of course I don't know if they're all blue but the chipboard in the image isn't, and neither was it mentioned as being water resistant.

Besides, it's not meant to resist permanent damp such as will be experienced when OP has some water in the bilge.

Because of the way this boat has been made there is no bilge or low points It has a flat bottom and under the concrete there are steel angle crossmembers every say 350mm so a bilge would seem pointless. I have rips of around 300mm on the sides which haven't been glued and can easily come up for inspection. On top of the batten we have rubber strips for accoustic purposes which also acts as a dpm.post-27074-0-66816700-1487452213_thumb.jpg

post-27074-0-97645200-1487452263_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davestampy1

Moisture resistant chipboard will not survive a serious plumbing leak or constant exposure to damp from condensation in the bilge.

http://www.contractflooringjournal.co.uk/blog/moisture-resistant-doesn-t-mean-waterproof/

I see that my memory of the boards being blue is incorrect. That article describes them as green. In my defence it was about 19 years ago that I built our conservatory!

Moisture resistant chipboard will not survive a serious plumbing leak or constant exposure to damp from condensation in the bilge.

http://www.contractflooringjournal.co.uk/blog/moisture-resistant-doesn-t-mean-waterproof/

we have to be optimistic that we don't have any leaks and I have took relevant precautions to prevent this. Plus most we have a brand new Liverpool boat next to us with it. So what would you suggest be used?

Sadly if there's anything to be sure about its that you will have a flood (or spilled water, or condensation, or a dropped pint... ) at some point. As long as the bilge is easily accessible then it won't be a problem because you can dry it out.

we have to be optimistic that we don't have any leaks and I have took relevant precautions to prevent this. Plus most we have a brand new Liverpool boat next to us with it. So what would you suggest be used?

What has been used on boats for yers, plywood sheets.

I does have a sort of bilge I have a hole through the concrete so I can see the hull. When I get there is will have it accessible.

What has been used on boats for yers, plywood sheets.

At 80 a sheet of marine grade that's 1000 just for the subfloor I do have a budget to stick to.

this is what I have used and others but thanks for your input.

By using ply for the floor you know that it will be sound for 20+ years.

Any cost savings in using moisture resistant chipboard will be swallowed up by having to replace it, which will require all internal furniture (galley units, beds etc) removing first.

Your money, your choice.

And we all know that Liverpool boats are built with quality in mind and not a low budget.

By using ply for the floor you know that it will be sound for 20+ years.

Any cost savings in using moisture resistant chipboard will be swallowed up by having to replace it, which will require all internal furniture (galley units, beds etc) removing first.

Your money, your choice.

WBP Plywood will do the job,no need for Marine Ply for your Floor

CT

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Barge wheelhouse. Just a suggestion, in my opinion it would look better with arched top windows, would make it look a bit more substantial and with some thin wood cut on a bandsaw and stuck on would not cost a lot. Nice boat by the way.

1 hour ago, Bee said:

Barge wheelhouse. Just a suggestion, in my opinion it would look better with arched top windows, would make it look a bit more substantial and with some thin wood cut on a bandsaw and stuck on would not cost a lot.

That's exactly what the builders did on our house. It was a selling point - "Church windows". Simply a piece of ply stained to match the wooden frames. 

38 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

It makes for a neater installation plus it's easier to run new cables when required but no, it's not a requirement.