Pricey beer stops

Featured Posts

We popped down onto the Avon at Stratford yesterday for a day's jaunt. Stopped on a tiny mooring at Binton Bridges and went to the Four Alls by the river. There was an OK beer garden and a rather odd interior to the place. Since it was scorchio we all decided to have cold Peroni. Oh and there was no proper beer on anyway. So 4 pints of Peroni, 4 packets of crisps, guess how much?

Jeff gave me £20 but that wasn't enough! It was £25. Having recovered from shock I did ask if that was really correct and how much was a pint of Peroni? Answer £5. Blimey, this is a country pub in the middle of nowhere (well, on the edge of Welford on Avon actually), surely that is extortionate? Needless to say we had the one pint (which wasn't even that nice) and went back to the boat for seconds.

Crap landing stage, not particularly nice beer garden, mediocre beer all from kegs, extortionate pricing. What's to like?

What other pubs charge extortionately? Any advance on £5 a pint?

Edited by nicknorman

We popped down onto the Avon at Stratford yesterday for a day's jaunt. Stopped on a tiny mooring at Binton Bridges and went to the Four Alls by the river. There was an OK beer garden and a rather odd interior to the place. Since it was scorchio we all decided to have cold Peroni. Oh and there was no proper beer on anyway. So 4 pints of Peroni, 4 packets of crisps, guess how much?

Jeff gave me £20 but that wasn't enough! It was £25. Having recovered from shock I did ask if that was really correct and how much was a pint of Peroni? Answer £5. Blimey, this is a country pub in the middle of nowhere (well, on the edge of Welford on Avon actually), surely that is extortionate? Needless to say we had the one pint (which wasn't even that nice) and went back to the boat for seconds.

Crap landing stage, not particularly nice beer garden, mediocre beer all from kegs, extortionate pricing. What's to like?

Did you notice the riverside houses in Welford?

Not too much poverty there...

Hotel bar in Verrena lake Como yesterday. 3 x 33cl beers and a very small can of Coke Zero £20.

The really annoying bit was the bar next door was only charging £1.50 for 33cl glasses on draft.

Well its not a cheap brand you ordered its actually quite pricey everywhere...

I worked in a bar where halfs were 1.75 but a pint was 2.20... we weren't allowed to tell the customer this just to give what they asked for and most asked for half lol.

A well known chain of holiday villages in the UK charge in excess of £5 for a pint of Fosters (I wouldn't drink it anyway) so against that £5 for Peroni sounds reasonable. Although I think it's more a case of them both being expensive!

I suspect Nick meant pints of beer in British pubs.

But I accept that's not what he said!

Does it really matter?, his post simply resonated with my very expensive beer buying experience yesterday.

Bought the same beers in an Italian supermarket for 1 euro each today which rubbed even more salt in this tight Northern"s wounds.....

Whilst we have low inflation generally the prices in pubs and restaurants seems to have rocketed in recent years. This is the main reason why I rarely use them. Congleton jazz and blues over the weekend, I paid £3.80 for a pint of Bombadier that was served much too cold. Beartown Tap, who apparently brew their own, desisted from passing on the saving they enjoy from not supplying a middle man, charging £3.40 a pint.

Broughton Arms at Rode Heath is good on a Tuesday though; £2.20 a pint for real ales after 8.00 p.m. 100% or so mark up on supermarket prices, seems reasonable. A 200% + mark up certainly isn't. It's no wonder so many pubs are closing.

The Narrowboat at Limehouse. £5 for an ale, think it was Abbot. Not too bad you might think. But it was for 2/3 of a pint. I queried it and they said, 'we like to be different'. Yeah right. £7.50 a pint. That's G. Ramsey for ya.

Supermarkets can typically buy in cheaper than the pubs can, and therefore afford to sell at break-even or a loss given what else they sell.

Bemoaning the price of pint in high-rent areas of London just ignores the reality of the business overheads.

Just had another little session at the Holy Inadequate in Stoke on Trent. 6 beer handpumps, 3 cider handpumps and some craft lagers.

Nice pint and a half of posh lager is about £4.50.

Best value this summer was a strong IPA from a local micro at a Weatherspoons in Liverpool, about £2.10, but Weatherspoons is full of sad old men and won't let the dog in so I don't drink there that often.

Anything from a bottle is very expensive though Peroni on tap is usually just about affordable.

Most expensive beers were from Brewdog in Liverpool, between £4 and £7, but they were rather nice.

.................Dave

Just had another little session at the Holy Inadequate in Stoke on Trent. 6 beer handpumps, 3 cider handpumps and some craft lagers.

Best value this summer was a strong IPA from a local micro at a Weatherspoons in Liverpool, about £2.10, but Weatherspoons is full of sad old men and won't let the dog in so I don't drink there that often.

Anything from a bottle is very expensive though Peroni on tap is usually just about affordable.

Most expensive beers were from Brewdog in Liverpool, between £4 and £7, but they were rather nice.

.................Dave

Funny you should mention them. Their Punk IPA was the first of 'craft beers' to pop up tasting of grapefruit seven or eight years ago!

.................Dave

Ah the Holy Inadequate - our favourite local haunt. A proper pub within walking distance of our new land based residence - a small consolation to giving up the boaty life.

It'd be good to share a pint when you're passing next :cheers:

Supermarkets can typically buy in cheaper than the pubs can, and therefore afford to sell at break-even or a loss given what else they sell.

Bemoaning the price of pint in high-rent areas of London just ignores the reality of the business overheads.

Equally though, the fact that the price of pub beer excludes a significant minority whose income isn't sufficient to afford to buy it ignores an equally important fact.

When you buy a pint in a pub you are also renting the space in which to spend an hour drinking it, which you don't get when buying from the supermarket.

So comparing pub prices with supermarket prices is comparing apples with pears.

A couple of years ago l was charged £4.90 for Peroni in the Wharf at Fenny Compton. Recently, in London, Gail was charged £11.00 for a glass of wine. More sensible prices obtain in my native West Midlands....£2.80 for Holden's Special in my local, £3.00 for Bumblehole at Ma Pardoes in Netherton. How times and prices change....1/8d for mild, 1/10d for bitter, in my pre decimal youth.

Dave

Ah the Holy Inadequate - our favourite local haunt. A proper pub within walking distance of our new land based residence - a small consolation to giving up the boaty life.

It'd be good to share a pint when you're passing next cheers.gif

Only discovered this pub this year, it will now be an essential stop. Its right up there with the Ma Pardoes and Great Westerns etc. As a veggie I can only give it 8/10 but if they did a proper cheese cob rather than just the pork pie it would be a 10/10.

We might be back in tonight, depending upon how the day works out, probably early evening. PM me a mobile number and I can text you.

..................Dave

Equally though, the fact that the price of pub beer excludes a significant minority whose income isn't sufficient to afford to buy it ignores an equally important fact.

They're a business not a charity, see above re supermarkets using alcohol as a loss-leader.

.. and I suspect they can afford to buy beer in pubs, just not as much as they want.