Gas prices

Ssscrudddy

Featured Posts

Usually I use the local fuel boat, about £27. Well I'm staying on my sister's boat atm & the gas just ran out, & the other bottle is empty too.

So I just tried 3 different garages, the only 1 selling it wants £35!

13kg orange bottle

I remember my old MD telling me a story :

A potential customer phoned the sales office and was given a price for a certain product, he complained about the price and asked to be pout thru' to the 'man in charge'.

The customer said, I have been quoted 25% cheaper from one of your competitors, to which the MD replied, the price you have been given is correct, may I suggest that you buy them from our competitor.

The customer replied that the competitor was 'out of stock' and he needed then today.

Our MD then explained to him that when we were out of stock ours were priced 25% lower as well.

I remember my old MD telling me a story :

A potential customer phoned the sales office and was given a price for a certain product, he complained about the price and asked to be pout thru' to the 'man in charge'.

The customer said, I have been quoted 25% cheaper from one of your competitors, to which the MD replied, the price you have been given is correct, may I suggest that you buy them from our competitor.

The customer replied that the competitor was 'out of stock' and he needed then today.

Our MD then explained to him that when we were out of stock ours were priced 25% lower as well.

The sequel being "let me know when you are sold out! and I will get my refills here!"

4.5kg butane unobtainable riverside from Popes Corner,Great Ouse to Oundle, Nene, damn calor and their waterside monopoly!

Butane can be bought in blue Calor bottles. It's the decision of the marina as to what products he stocks and in what sized bottles AFAIK.

I got a 13kg propane from Popes Corner for £27. I had had the impression that RPM was still in force for Calor.

N

Paid £32.95 at Shepperton Marina on the Thames about two weeks ago for 13kg propane.

Lumme! They do say that the Thames flows with liquid gold, though. Anyway that's what mr R Whittington thought, or something like that.

Butane can be bought in blue Calor bottles. It's the decision of the marina as to what products he stocks and in what sized bottles AFAIK.

I got a 13kg propane from Popes Corner for £27. I had had the impression that RPM was still in force for Calor.

N

Lumme! They do say that the Thames flows with liquid gold, though. Anyway that's what mr R Whittington thought, or something like that.

No, the 4.5 kg bottles have been scarce all summer, along with the suppliers on the Broads and my old work gas supplier in Wellingborough.

We were moored at the F&D for the summer, Duncan would love to have some to sell! It's a popular size on cruisers

Mark at Oundle is now suggesting swapping to 3.9kg propane as he has had more luck getting that size.

Well I endured a bloody long walk to Westbridge in the end (after cycling there 1st, I hate walking) where they had it for £25. I then rewarded myself with 8 cans of Newcy. Then my mother turned up whilst I was pissed as a fart (lol auto correct changed fart to CaRT). Now apparently I have to go shopping with her today in Oxford with a hangover.

I've posted this before, Butane = blue bottles, Propane = red bottles.

Calor supply their retailers and allow them to go plus or minus on the price within a fixed range thus allowing them some flexibility

I get my gas direct from Calor at £23.49 free delivery too, but I do have an account

There was a long thread about this very subject a few weeks back. And just to scotch all the stories you hear about one gas being better than another, go to Immingham and you will see bulk tankers from every brand you care to think of all filling up from the same terminal.

Phil

I've posted this before, Butane = blue bottles, Propane = red bottles.

Calor supply their retailers and allow them to go plus or minus on the price within a fixed range thus allowing them some flexibility

I get my gas direct from Calor at £23.49 free delivery too, but I do have an account

There was a long thread about this very subject a few weeks back. And just to scotch all the stories you hear about one gas being better than another, go to Immingham and you will see bulk tankers from every brand you care to think of all filling up from the same terminal.

Phil

Some flexibility = £8 dearer than a calor stockist in the same county 24 miles up the road.

Neither are riverside suppliers.

Oundle Marina charged me £16 last year, as did Bridge boatyard in Ely, neither have stock of 4.5kg butane.

Supply and demand be bollocksed!!

I am not understanding why anyone who uses gas 'outdoors' (Boats, caravans etc) would consider Butane as a suitable gas.

Butane's boiling point is 5oC (the temperature at which the liquid becomes a gas) so if temperatures are at 5 or below then Butane (mistakenly called) "freezes" , and you get no gas.

Propane, on the other hand. will 'gas' down to minus (-) 300C

Actually using (taking) gas from the bottle reduces the temperature of the gas (hence you get a 'frost line' around your bottles in cold weather) so whilst the figure of 50 is accurate you will start to see problems at air temperature higher than this.

Gas bottles in outside lockers are going to be at ambient temperature - as you approach 'freezing' so will your gas.

Change to propane - you know it makes sense.

I am not understanding why anyone who uses gas 'outdoors' (Boats, caravans etc) would consider Butane as a suitable gas.

Butane's boiling point is 5oC (the temperature at which the liquid becomes a gas) so if temperatures are at 5 or below then Butane (mistakenly called) "freezes" , and you get no gas.

Actually using (taking) gas from the bottle reduces the temperature of the gas (hence you get a 'frost line' around your bottles in cold weather) so whilst the figure of 50 is accurate you will start to see problems at air temperature higher than this.

Gas bottles in outside lockers are going to be at ambient temperature - as you approach 'freezing' so will your gas.

Main reason is they have always been on here and we don't tend to use the boat in the winter!

It's looking likely that we will change over next year if things continue like this.

Don't forget though, it's no cheaper for 3.9kg of propane - we physical can't store anything bigger.

Main reason is they have always been on here and we don't tend to use the boat in the winter!

It's looking likely that we will change over next year if things continue like this.

Don't forget though, it's no cheaper for 3.9kg of propane - we physical can't store anything bigger.

I bought a couple of 3.9kg propane last week (the Cat is moulded for the French Gaz bottles but 3.9kg Calor will fit) and paid £15.49 each, that's a wee bit cheaper than £28 for 4.5kg Butane

The cheapest place I've managed to get a 13kg bottle of propane from was Capital Gas which is alongside the canal at Stoke on Trent (opposite Etruria park). When the average price was £26 he charged £19.43 for a bottle!

On a slightly different tangent, someone above mentioned the Thames flowing with liquid gold, well I've passed a couple of marinas today (Bray and Windsor) charging £1.21 per litre for diesel and £1.61 per litre for petrol!!!! Where are they getting this stuff??

When we moored on the Broads we used Butane as did the vast majority of fellow boaters, hire fleets then also used butane.

I can only remember a couple of occasions' when the gas failed to boil off sufficiently and a kettle of boiling water was needed, it was never a big issue.

Phil

When we moored on the Broads we used Butane as did the vast majority of fellow boaters, hire fleets then also used butane.

I can only remember a couple of occasions' when the gas failed to boil off sufficiently and a kettle of boiling water was needed, it was never a big issue.

Phil

Funny isn't it, all the canal dwellers seem to favour propane compared to butane which has been more popular in East Anglian boating.

As said earlier, we tend to lay the boat up in the winter, but, when I have wanted a brew and needed to use the gas it's never been an issue.

That's a situation that needs never occur again as we have plenty of genny power along with a 1000w inverter and a 650w kettle :)

Changing to propane isn't an issue, would be a shame if I have to as I have not long replaced the reg and have a spare on board, both of which would need replacing.

Will give it the winter and see what happens.

I bought a couple of 3.9kg propane last week (the Cat is moulded for the French Gaz bottles but 3.9kg Calor will fit) and paid £15.49 each, that's a wee bit cheaper than £28 for 4.5kg Butane

Yes, that price was obscene! Normal price is £16-20 riverside.

The £28 bottle came from a coal merchants in Nassington, it's what you might call a distress purchase!

The cheapest place I've managed to get a 13kg bottle of propane from was Capital Gas which is alongside the canal at Stoke on Trent (opposite Etruria park). When the average price was £26 he charged £19.43 for a bottle!

On a slightly different tangent, someone above mentioned the Thames flowing with liquid gold, well I've passed a couple of marinas today (Bray and Windsor) charging £1.21 per litre for diesel and £1.61 per litre for petrol!!!! Where are they getting this stuff??

Went there yesterday, its still £19.43. Odd place, through a little gate in the fence, sells gas and various roofing and drainage components including cast iron gutters and drainpipe.

.................Dave

Roofing companies often stock gas at cheaper prices than waterside outlets. I've used Energas from one such during the winter, reverting to Calor in the summer when on the move. Not sure of current prices, in the past the roofers were a good few quid cheaper. Obviously, convenience doesn't compare, but it was no bother to collect bottles by car and take them to the boat.

Dave