roof storage bars

rustydiver

Featured Posts

Loads of ways to attach it, you can get brackets designed for that application.

You could use unistrut nuts, a flat plate with a 10.5mm hole to secure to unistrut and a tapped m10 hole with a thumbscrew to secure to the underside of the handrails.

• Greenie 1

Or adapt your car ones with large magnets directly onto the roof. Just keep them low, I got hit by a boat a few weeks back who could not see me because his kayaks blocked his view! Only a gentle side swipe as I could see what was happening, but a tad annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks gazza i went down the unistrut route, found a supplier down the road from me and in the process off making some up.

Its quite heavy duty stuff.

Good stuff, you can make all sorts with it, benches, racking etc.

You can soon get a fair bit of weight in a cable containment system so it will do you well :)

• Greenie 1

I've made them. Managed to fit them without drilling any holes to the boat.

B332B522-7E1A-43BB-922E-DBBEE3C1EECE_zps

55C29425-CB87-47C8-BFA1-D7AD8A14BEDB_zps

Just need to get some longer bolts to fit the rubber packing under the brackets and the kayak has been moved to the other side I couldn't see over the starboard bow very good.

Next job it to see if I can make one with a slider to assist with the loading

Edited by rustydiver

Just as a matter of interest really: I keep a kayak on top of my boat, directly on the roof. It doesn't affect my forward vision doing it this way but if I raised it a few inches on bars it would. Is your reason for doing this just to protect the paint on your roof from scratches?