J2 water pump gear - rapid consumption of lubricating oil

gbclive

Featured Posts

The water pump gear bearing on our J2 is consuming oil rapidly from the small thimble sized reservoir.

The reservoir empties within 15 - 30 minutes of engine use.

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Clive.

That is just like mine. It has been like that for 26 years and is still fine.

Give it an extra squirt after 8 hours if doing long d ays but otherwise "doan worry, be happy".

The speed and loading are so low that the bearing doesn't need much lubrication .

If excessive play develops I think Dick Goble may have some new white metal bearings.

N

That is just like mine. It has been like that for 26 years and is still fine.

Give it an extra squirt after 8 hours if doing long d ays but otherwise "doan worry, be happy".

The speed and loading are so low that the bearing doesn't need much lubrication .

If excessive play develops I think Dick Goble may have some new white metal bearings.

N

Thank you for the reassurance N.

Dick has already overhauled the pump itself, so so I'll bear him in mind if excessive play develops.

Is it a relatively easy job?

(BTW I've been stopping the engine every 2 hours or so to oil the bearing?)

Cheers.

Clive.

I would think a bearing change might take 30-40 minutes, assuming you have the necessary tube spanner and bearing ( two halves) in hand.

N

PS Don't stop the engine just squirt the oil into the bearing cap as it goes round. If you miss a little, it will not matter since the cranl will throw it around anyway!

Edited by BEngo

I would think a bearing change might take 30-40 minutes, assuming you have the necessary tube spanner and bearing ( two halves) in hand.

N

PS Don't stop the engine just squirt the oil into the bearing cap as it goes round. If you miss a little, it will not matter since the cranl will throw it around anyway!

Again, thanks N.

I bet it would take me much longer than that!

However, sounds like something I should have a go at, if needed.

Still steeply into my Kelvin learning curve - much grateful knowledge and advise gleaned from this hallowed forum?

I have scrounged/bought an extensive collection of old imperial spanners - so far only used to sort out a gushing coolant flange, and for regular oil changes, as the rebuild was none by RW Davis.

Now on the lookout for some tube spanners?

I'll give the "on the go" oil squirting technique a try on longer days.

If the white metal bearings are not available, it occurred to me that a suitable sized washer type insert, but with a much smaller hole, might eke out the oil over a longer period?

However, I'm much reasured that I'm looking for a solution to a non-existent or very small problem.

Same with ours, I've never worried about it...I fill the cup on starting and that's it for the day. Never had a problem. Chillax!

Dave

Thanks for the advice Dave,

Chilled out nicely this afternoon on the amazingly beautiful Thames.

Blue skies, a wafting breeze and now no worries about my Kelvin?

Curry and beer sorted for this evening.

Can life get much better?

Really? Mine has a wick in it.

Never noticed how quickly the cup empties though. I'll take notice in future.

Or maybe the K water pump is different from a J...

AFAIK the J and K water pump drives are similar but the K ones have a bigger throw, so pump more. (Maybe not for a K1 though). The J2, 3 and 4 each have a different water pump crank throw.

The bearing cap has about a 1/4 in diameter cup about 1/2 in deep with an 1/8 in (ish) hole through to the bearing surface. Thw cup is filled with oil, so there is no real function for a wick, except to decrease the oil capacity of the cup, and there is no porous oil retaining pad on the bearing side which might hold and distribute lubricant. On that basis (and the absence of anything in the parts book) I believe that it's meant to be an open cup.

N