K2 Governor "leaking" diesel

Brandy

Featured Posts

I have just taken ownership of a narrowboat powered by a Kelvin K2 (I have no previous experience with Kelvins), I was going to have my first attempt at starting her today but when I opened the fuel valve (from the day tank), diesel started to come out of the governor case at the aperture where the rod/chain protrudes linking the injector pump. The opposite side of the governor case, there is a level valve (which I opened previous to starting to check there was fuel in the governor and then closed) and next to it is a pipe back to the main fuel tank - there is a valve on this pipe which I have checked is open. I presumed that this return fuel line controls the fuel level in the governor - am I correct? - When the fuel valve is open, what stops the governor case "overflowing" other than this return fuel line or am I missing something? i.e. should there be a seal on the injector pump linking arm which as failed? I am reluctant to start her with diesel leaking down the side of the engine case.

I assume you have a cast iron governor.

Thle overflow pipe controls the fuel level in the governor. There is no seal on the governor piston rod so fuel leakage here is common especially when the piston is being pushed aft to reduce speed.

Is there a fuel connection between the day tank and the governor? If so I expect has a valve which needs to be closed except when filling the governor.

If not how is fuel getting into the governor except from the injector drains ?(these only give fuel when running and the drains are open.)

N

Thanks for replying.

The governor is cast iron but has two fittings on the top (inlet and plug) and not the brass flap which I have seen on other kelvins - maybe I have a later model.

I just had another look at the governor and there is no direct connection of fuel to the governor.

Diesel was spilling out the governor when I filled the day tank by the hand pump. I have just tried shutting of the fuel cock intending to fill the day tank so I could ascertain what was going on and much to my surprise, even with the fuel shut off, diesel is still coming from the governor casing when I operated the day tank hand pump! The previous owner (or boat builder) must have tee the governor drain pipework into the suction side pipework of the hand pump somewhere hidden behind the wood panels. I can isolate the governor drain so this should solve the problem :) Will try again for my first start tomorrow :)