reversing

mizpah2

Featured Posts

is there a nack to reversing a boat ? not just manouvering but going a fair distance , about 600ft

Will you be awfully offended if I said "practice"

Every boat behaves differently and you need to learn the vagaries of your boat.

Next time you are cruising & it is quiet, just practice going backwards. You will find that it will swing in one direction because of a combination of the Hull being shaped like a brick, and the effect of 'prop-walk'.

Go as far backwards as you can, when it starts to swing (anticipate - don't wait for it), change into Forward, when it has straightened up again, back into reverse - repeat, repeat, repeat for as far as you like.

It will also be effected by the depth of the water, the shape of the canal bed, how close you are to ether bank. When you go backwards, just glance back to see where you are going and look forwards at the bows, you will see the moment it starts to wander off line. The other thing that has a bearing on matters is how many people are watching you, its inversely proportional to how far you can go without losing it

Next time you are cruising & it is quiet, just practice going backwards. You will find that it will swing in one direction because of a combination of the Hull being shaped like a brick, and the effect of 'prop-walk'.

Go as far backwards as you can, when it starts to swing (anticipate - don't wait for it), change into Forward, when it has straightened up again, back into reverse - repeat, repeat, repeat for as far as you like.

+1. I always go to the clubhouse, to top up with water and empty the cassettes, in ahead, and return to the mooring in reverse. This makes me practice on a regular basis so that when I need to do it in anger, I have an idea of how it goes.

Sometimes, if it's very windy, or less so but from ahead, you can't get any distance in reverse. If the wind is from behind you, reversing is easier.

All good advice, but in addition I'd say spand most of your time when reversing looking forwards, looking for any slight angular rotation of the boat. Spotting it beginning to happen tells you which way to turn the rudder far sooner than if you wait until you;re heading for the bank.

Also, get plenty of way on and the rudder actually has a fair bit of effect if turned immediately you spot the need from my first paragraph.

On a good day with no audience I can reverse several hundred yards flawlessly these days. Anyone watching though and it all goes to the wall...

On the whole I find my boat goes better in reverse at slowly - not much above dead slow. Increasing power usually seems to cause difficulties.

Of course this isn't very helpful if there is much of a cross-wind or cross-current.

if you have a spare crew member, then you might want to position them at the bows, with the long shaft. A bit of prodding can work very well.

On the whole I find my boat goes better in reverse at slowly - not much above dead slow. Increasing power usually seems to cause difficulties.

Of course this isn't very helpful if there is much of a cross-wind or cross-current.

if you have a spare crew member, then you might want to position them at the bows, with the long shaft. A bit of prodding can work very well.

Ah yes there's another technique. If you're single handing use tiller strings to hold the tiller straight. Engage reverse at a bit over tickover and go to the front and use the long shaft to steer.

All good advice, but in addition I'd say spand most of your time when reversing looking forwards, looking for any slight angular rotation of the boat. Spotting it beginning to happen tells you which way to turn the rudder far sooner than if you wait until you;re heading for the bank.

Also, get plenty of way on and the rudder actually has a fair bit of effect if turned immediately you spot the need from my first paragraph.

I'd echo that, but would add that ideally you don't make any abrupt major alteration to either the rudder position or the engines revs. If you do you will find it very difficult to maintain control - it is a case of anticipation and making small adjustments. If you do have to go back into head gear to correct things you set up all sorts of swirls in the water, and do it more than once you may as well just stop and let the water calm down before it all ends in tears.

Tam

I'd echo that, but would add that ideally you don't make any abrupt major alteration to either the rudder position or the engines revs. If you do you will find it very difficult to maintain control - it is a case of anticipation and making small adjustments. If you do have to go back into head gear to correct things you set up all sorts of swirls in the water, and do it more than once you may as well just stop and let the water calm down before it all ends in tears.

Tam

Yes this too. I've NEVER been able to 'engage ahead to correct things' then carry on in astern as I see often suggested on here.

For me, once I need to use ahead the boat needs to totally stop and possibly even be moving forwards again to achieve any straightening up effect. By which time the canal is a swirling mass of eddy currents and trying to go backwards again immediately just results in total chaos. Just stop to let the cut calm down and pretend this is where you wanted to be... :D

That Willow Wren link is a perfect demonstration of what we are saying, especially that you spend the majority of the time looking forward so you pick up instantly that the boat is about to move out of line and correct it with small movements of the tiller. Also important is to NEVER NEVER stand beside the tiller in reverse, as the rudder can easily decide to swing hard over, knocking anyone in the way of the tiller into the water where that propellor is whiring around ohmy.png

Tam

• Greenie 1

To some extent, you have to accept that it's never the same twice in a row. One time, you'll be able to reverse for miles perfectly, and think you've cracked it; the next time, it'll all go wrong. Slight variations in the wind, what the water's doing, your speed, how you're feeling, etc etc will all affect what's going on. And as others have said, if there are people watching, your chances of getting it right diminish dramatically.

Here one way to do it

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwEV5iu9vx4

On having just now watched the video again, probably the best helming i have seen.

The other videos from Willow Wren are impressive Voo.

Very nice - thanks for that, not come across those before.

(Of course the stern dolly is just out of view, so you can't see the long line going to the other boat which is going forward ....).

• Greenie 1

is there a nack to reversing a boat ? not just manouvering but going a fair distance , about 600ft

I don't know anything about your boat but a couple reversed almost a mile past us last week in a wide beam. The kept the rudder dead centre and nudged the bow thruster to steer. If you have one this might be the easiest way.

Very nice - thanks for that, not come across those before.

(Of course the stern dolly is just out of view, so you can't see the long line going to the other boat which is going forward ....).

You also don't know what take number it was

all the advise thankfully received , well most !

(snip) ... would add that ideally you don't make any abrupt major alteration to either the rudder position or the engines revs. If you do you will find it very difficult to maintain control - (snip)

It took me a long time to work out that, in reverse (or, more correctly, when the water flow over the rudder is reversed), the actual movement of the rudder works against the effect of the rudder's new position. For example, if the bow starts to swing to the right, the tiller should be moved to the left (rudder to right!) to compensate, However, the actual movement from centre, if done quickly, can pump a slug of water to the right, moving the stern to the left, the opposite of the intended effect, and often enough to allow the bow swing to the right to exceed the "point of no return", when forwards power is needed for the steering correction.

(Probably not explained that very well captain.gif )

It took me a long time to work out that, in reverse (or, more correctly, when the water flow over the rudder is reversed), the actual movement of the rudder works against the effect of the rudder's new position. For example, if the bow starts to swing to the right, the tiller should be moved to the left (rudder to right!) to compensate,

In reverse you are in effect steering 2' 'boat' with a 50' (or whatever) 'rudder' boat.gif

That Willow Wren link is a perfect demonstration of what we are saying, especially that you spend the majority of the time looking forward so you pick up instantly that the boat is about to move out of line and correct it with small movements of the tiller. Also important is to NEVER NEVER stand beside the tiller in reverse, as the rudder can easily decide to swing hard over, knocking anyone in the way of the tiller into the water where that propellor is whiring around ohmy.png

Tam

This!

Mine tries it hardest in reverse to swing one way or the other, if your next to it and not expecting it, your going in!

I tried this once on a hire boat that seemed to have a mind of its own and it did help quite a bit. Use an old bucket with a hole cut in the bottom (not all the bottom removed just a 2" hole), Drop this with a rope tied to the handle over the bows and allow about 10 feet of rope before tying off on the bow cleat. When in reverse this acts like a drogue and keeps the bows straight. One of those sea anchors (conical parachute type thing) would probably work just as well and be easier to store.

I tried this once on a hire boat that seemed to have a mind of its own and it did help quite a bit. Use an old bucket with a hole cut in the bottom (not all the bottom removed just a 2" hole), Drop this with a rope tied to the handle over the bows and allow about 10 feet of rope before tying off on the bow cleat. When in reverse this acts like a drogue and keeps the bows straight. One of those sea anchors (conical parachute type thing) would probably work just as well and be easier to store.

I've tried that on both my boats and it didn't make a blind bit of difference. I didn't cut a hole in the bottom of the bucket though, so maybe this is important.

I also tried slinging a mudweight in, tied to my bow line. That was no help whatsoever either, surprisingly.

So now I just reverse by giving it some welly and looking forward most of the time. As Dave says, this is risky as the rudder and tiller will slam over to full deflection if you get it far off centre balance once you have any speed in astern, and it WILL push you off the boat if you are in the tiller arc.

Was this bucket with a 2" hole in the bottom already in the hire boat Bill? If it was, presumably this boat was known by the hire company to respond well to a drogue!

It took me a long time to work out that, in reverse (or, more correctly, when the water flow over the rudder is reversed), the actual movement of the rudder works against the effect of the rudder's new position. For example, if the bow starts to swing to the right, the tiller should be moved to the left (rudder to right!) to compensate, However, the actual movement from centre, if done quickly, can pump a slug of water to the right, moving the stern to the left, the opposite of the intended effect, and often enough to allow the bow swing to the right to exceed the "point of no return", when forwards power is needed for the steering correction.

(Probably not explained that very well captain.gif )

No. A good explanation. The 'slug of water' bit rings true but I think part of it is Bod and Boat.

As a steerer of very limited experience I reversed a strangers' boat up a long pound back into the lock with no probs. (and people were watching.) Its owners said afterwards that forwards or backwards it steered like a pig with a stick up its ar*e.

On a boat described as 'swims lile a fish' I embarased myself and amused some people making a 'simple' move.

The first boat spoke to me via the tiller. The 'Better' boat was mumb.