wide beam

mizpah2

Featured Posts

The only wide beam I helmed regularly had a central wheel. It meant that you can stand still dead central on the stern which in someway makes it easier to gauge where everything is rather than moving about with a tiller.

If you stand in front of the tiller, not only do you eliminate the risk of being knocked overboard, but you don't need to "move with the tiller" and can remain positioned centrally.

I know mine's not a widebeam, but presumably it's the same principle for a narrow boat and narrow bridges - why not just line the middle up with the middle, rather than worry about looking down the sides?

Mine is a widebeam and that is the correct technique. There's no point in lining it up at the side if you're going through a curved arch.

That little gizmo would be quite useful for me, but I fear it would get in Dave's way.

He normally either stands in the back hatch or sits on top (off to the port side) of the back hatch. Either of which gives him a central view whilst in control of the tiller.cool.png

Me however, being a bit of a short arse compared to his 6ft 3, stand off to the port side of the back hatch on my little box so I can see (kinda) over the roof of the boat.rolleyes.gif

When I'm lining up for either a lock or bridge entrance I'm off my box looking down the port side of the boat, I am comfortable in knowing that if I keep the port side to within a couple of inches of the lock entrance there will be more than enough room on the other side. Bridges I keep an eye on the roof line as well, but always keep closer to the port side than the other

But with ours being a Trad stern the tiller arm doesn't swing over far enough to port for me to always keep ahold of it, which means taking a quick peek, then grabbing the tiller again (this really is only a couple of seconds), and repeating the process till I'm either under the bridge or in the lock. Ours is one of the smaller WB's at just under 11ft.

The way Dave does it, is much better, more efficient and way less flaffing about. I'm just not comfortable doing it his wayfrusty.gif

If you stand in front of the tiller, not only do you eliminate the risk of being knocked overboard, but you don't need to "move with the tiller" and can remain positioned centrally.

Good point!

our boat is 12ft wide so to get us through bridges etc i cut a piece of 1" x 1/4 ally bar the length of which is from the bottom of the tiller to just short of the deck ( so when not needed it hangs out of the way ) it has a leather loop to go around the tiller and the other end is wrapped with non slip tape .i can now stand at the side of the rear deck and judge the gaps easier than before .

I hope you are moire proficient with it than this lot, who have adopted something similar.

It is an painfully slow experience following them up bits of the Grand Union, as they slow to a crawl for every bridge hole and other obstruction. Each is tackled like it is a major challenge to overcome, (as indeed it appears to be!). Usually it seems to be necessary to have two people, one sighting down each side of the boat.

Just to add to the challenge they added large roof boxes to a boat that was already quite unsuitable for where they are trying to take it.

Of course if they were to let people past quickly that had craft that were easier to get through bridges it might not be too bad, but at 12feet wide they struggle to leave enough channel to make overtaking in a deep draughted narrow boat an easy task, even if they do eventually wave you past.

I'm not suggesting, of course that your arrangements don't work for you, but the reality is that some very large widebeams cause significant hold ups on canals that they will physically fit through, but which were never designed or built for use by boats over 7 feet wide.

• Greenie 1

I like it on the L and L where you get a white mark in the centre of the navigation channel (which is not the same as the centre of the arch)

On low bridges I hug to the tow path side as sometimes the wheelhouse roof is a little too close for comfort if I take the centre of the navigation.

Usually it seems to be necessary to have two people, one sighting down each side of the boat.

Presumably this is because the boat randonly varies in width?

It took Mrs Hound years to adopt my technique for driving through the poles used as a trafic calming measure by narrowing the road. I aim to just miss the drivers side one. Of course it only works where the car IS actually narrower than the gap :)

Presumably this is because the boat randonly varies in width?

You would need to ask the owners of the boat why they feel they need to have someone watching both sides.

In general on a canal where the bridge holes, (at least at towpath level) should be at least 14 feet across the cut, then I agree that if you tale a 12 foot boat through, and aim to miss one side by a foot, then the other side should also miss by at least this amount.

One of the issues with Kailani may now be that they have added large roof boxes, so the fact that the hull missues the sides of the canal doesn't necessarily guarantee that all other bits of the boat will miss arched bridges.

Some of it is about scale. 10' 6" wide beams travelling on the "non barge canal" bits of the GU seem to fare a lot better than 12' ones, which often seem to struggle, (or at least the steerers of them do, rather than the boats themselves!....)

• 2 months later...

I'm another who uses the technique of "sighting down the side of the boat" when things are tight (using a narrowboat). I'd rather know for certain that one side was missing the obstacle by 2", than estimate the centre position and hope to miss both sides by a foot. Anyway, what if the boat is at an angle - how can you tell if you are on the squiff and your bows and stern are different distances clear of the side? Of course, when generally manoeuvring I would use my skill to position the boat properly without resorting to hanging over the side, otherwise travel would be a longwinded and uncomfortable exercise.

The OP has just re-invented the tiller extension. Dinghy sailors have been using them for years! But I do admit in a dinghy you have a very good reason for wanting to move around the boat and still be able to reach the tiller.

P1020524.jpg

In the summer I went up Long Buckby with an elderly couple. The lady steering was quite disabled and was unable to stand at the tiller. Instead she sat on a seat on the cruiser deck and with the aid of a stick with a loop she steered the boat perfectly well and was able to reach the morse control as well.

Good luck to her, I say.

That's not looking an easy one either, with all the slaves paddling and the amount of people watching (hoping things will go wrong ?)

Peter.

Potter Heigham Bridge is quite a spectator point on the Three Rivers Race watching the sailing boats drop their masts to get under whilst racing.

Potter Heigham Bridge is quite a spectator point on the Three Rivers Race watching the sailing boats drop their masts to get under whilst racing.

It surely looks quite a spectators view point, it must be exiting to see these boats in action to prepare for, and going through this low bridge.

Peter.

• 4 months later...
On 28/08/2016 at 22:39, Alan de Enfield said:

My boat is 14 feet wide, you soon get used to positioning it for approaches to locks etc by looking over the roof, down the centreline and watching the 'approach angle' such that both sides of the lock approach at the same angle.

Our other boat is 23 foot beam - now that is interesting trying to get it onto a pontoon below gunnel height when its 20 foot to one side of you, and 5 feet below you. (wheel on Port side).

Practice - its a lot easier than faffing about with bits of ali bar.

Its a bit like those 'sissy buttons' (Bow thrusters) some people get so used to using them that the day they break, or the battery is flat, they havn't got a hope of driving their boat safely.

same like self parking cars, reversing cameras, and automatic handbrakes. Costly technology breeding diminished intelligence and complacency. 

On 10/12/2016 at 19:20, Canal321 said:

Bridge 117, heading towards Clayton-Le-Moores.

Doesnt the white centre line give a false sense of security in relation to the cabin top impacting the arch ?  I,d still want to be just a couple of inches off the towpath.

• 2 weeks later...

Departing Braunston this week encountered this at Puddle Banks. I was so busy trying get out of its way I didn't take a photo. It just ploughed through as obviously it needed the middle of the cut. IMHO it is unsuited for today's canals. The crew were polite and thanked me for getting out of their way, not that I had much choice.

Photo from Tranquil Rose web site.

$_86.jpg

Edited by Ray T

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

No as we pulled into the bank and waited for them to pass by. Other boats did similar.

I'm afraid I didn't pull over when I met it...I did give them just enough room...but only just....they didn't look too happy about it but as you say it's totally unsuited to the waterway. 

Plenty of good advice and ideas mentioned here. I cruise a 10ft widebeam, no bow thrusters and stand forward of the tiller on a low step. The central vents on the roof provide a good reference point for remaining central in tunnels. You will find which technique suits you best with practice. Also consider doing the RYA inland waterways helmsman course, it's very useful, and will teach you a bunch of skills for cruising.